It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father forces son to hold pink ‘I am a bully’ sign on Texas highway

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I think this is good parenting, a father in Ft Hood Texas mad his son hold up a pink sign on a Texas highway saying "I am a bully honk if you hate bullies".

He did it as punishment when he learned his son got in trouble for bullying in his fourth grade class,

The dad has taken some heat for this, but I think it's great..

At least he is trying to nip it in bud right now and so many parents either would not care or would not believe their son could do that..

He said he does not want his son to be the cause of someone's pain and bullying is also a form of public humiliation so if he is publically humiliated maybe he will remember it next time he goes to bully someone

I think he will remember this forever kudos to the dad..

www.rawstory.com...

Texas father is refusing to apologize for forcing his child to hold a pink “I am a bully” sign because he says that “we don’t need another Columbine.”

When Jose Lagares found out that his son got in trouble for bullying in his fourth grade class, he sent the boy out to the intersection of Ft. Hood Street and W. Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Ft. Hood on Tuesday

edit on 5-10-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I commend this father, I sadly was a bully when I was a child and wish my parents took time to discipline me. I grew up in a disjointed home and was very depressed and took it out on others. So I hope this boy see's the light and does not make the same mistakes as I did. I still feel bad to this day about the thing's I have done.

edit on 5-10-2013 by ProspectPhilosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

My dad used to tell me he would show up to my school in a diaper.

embracing punishments work a lot more then given a whipping.

Texas father is refusing to apologize

Why the father would ever have to apologize is beyond me.

edit on 5-10-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

hknudzkknexnt
reply to post by goou111

My dad used to tell me he would show up to my school in a diaper.

embracing punishments work a lot more then given a whipping.

Lol if my dad had showed to my school in a diaper he wouldn't have had to worry about me bullying kids there.

Because I would have never gone back

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
something tells me this kid will think twice before he tries to bully anyone else....

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm sure the liberal ACLU will be on this shortly to sue the father for assaulting the child's rights.

Good job though dad, need more of you out there.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
It's late, and I'm goofy, sorry.

I went to Wiki for a definition of bullying, and got this:

Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively to impose domination over others. . . . One essential prerequisite is the perception, by the bully or by others, of an imbalance of social or physical power. Behaviors used to assert such domination can include verbal harassment or threat, physical assault or coercion, . . . Justifications and rationalizations for such behavior sometimes include differences of class, race, religion, gender, sexuality, appearance, behavior, or ability.

This leads me to conclude two things, if we accept the definition. Parents who discipline are bullies, and bullying isn't always bad.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
This Dad is doing the right hing. Maybe this kid will think again before bullying someone.

When I was in primary school I was severely bullied- but at the same time I was also a bully myself. I think being an 8yo that's dealing with numerous sources of bullying does something to a kid.

Either way (regardless of 'politically correct parenting' *which is think is utter bulls**t*) this Father has done the right thing and is showing his son that this behavior is not acceptable in society.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Oh man I feel for that kid. No wonder he is a bully, he is forced against his will, with what threat, a beating? Who would shame his son, when in every single case I've ever seen bullies come from trouble home lives and abuse towards them, physically reactive dominating parents, one or both, and often substance abuse. What he needs is his core self healed, and to be safe to be a kid.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
if you spare the rod you spoil the child. a loving father disciplines there child. The unloving father doesn't care

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I think I was in 7th grade when I discovered being bigger than most of the other kids meant I could get them to do things by pounding them flat. And that I could get my brothers to assist if they tried ganging up to take care of me. Which involved probably three of the five largest guys in middle school. Arguably the strongest.

That lasted about a week. Then Dad got called. End of bullying phase.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I agree with you and I am sick of seeing these other parents that refuse to see their children do anything wrong so they won't have to deal with it. My daughter represents me and my family. She also represents my husband... and his... family.
When she leaves this house she should act accordingly. Be a teen, have fun, even make mistakes. But there are limits and children know where those limits are. A child with no rules is not loved. If they can play in the street unattended and nobody cares??? Who loves them? The child knows they are unloved when the parent doesn't care what they are doing as long as they aren't bothering them. What is the child going to do then? Anything he/she can to garner some sort of attention. Good or bad.

I want to stand up and applaud when I see these stories because I keep hoping that a new generation of parents is waking up. There must be discipline in the home and parents should not fear handing out that discipline (not abuse for those of you frothing at the mouth). In the end it will make communities, society, and yes...even the world a better place. Raising a child is not letting them do whatever makes them feel good. Raising a child is adding an asset to your family and your community. Something that is loved and cherished... not dreaded and feared.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
The Father should be made to Hold up a sign stating "i'm a Idiot and a bad Parent, this is why my son is a Bully"...
Stupid Man.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Soloprotocol
The Father should be made to Hold up a sign stating "i'm a Idiot and a bad Parent, this is why my son is a Bully"...
Stupid Man.

I dunno. My Dad wasn't aware that I was King of the Recess Yard until the teacher called and told him that I had suddenly taken to pounding my classmates, and enlisting Dan and Todd Bedlam to assist at times. To the point that the other kids were spooked and handing over lunches and whatnot. And that it was very uncharacteristic, and would he see to it.

He called a few of the other parents, verified it, and discipline ensued. No more issues.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
A long time ago, it was a fathers responsibility to teach his child how to defend himself. My father taught me, and while i wasn't a bully, i got into many fights with kids who were. If a kid came and tried to humiliate me, i wouldn't ask questions, i'd just hit him and keep hitting him until he ran. That's the only way to deal with bullies. It also allowed me to stick up for weaker kids, a lesson my father also taught me. He told me that fighting builds character, and shows the true character of a person. And he was right.

I think what this parent has done is to be commended. He's trying to address the problem in a non-violent way. I only question how effective this will be as kids will be kids and while the cats away, the kid will continue with what he does.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I really don't understand why some are saying the father is a bad parent for disciplining his son before he goes totally wayward.

A parents job is to teach kids that there are consequences in adult civilised society for bad/unacceptable behaviour, and many times a consequence is jail. It is an important lesson to teach them if we want them to be included and function in civilised society when they become adults.

All he did was give the lad an unpleasant consequence for bad behaviour, and also at the same time an unpleasant taste of what it feels like to be a victim, two important lessons in one. It's no good pussyfooting around because words don't work with some kids.

Yes it hurts us to have to teach our kids harsh lessons and mete out discipline because we love them so much, but we owe it to them to do what we have to do so they recognise and avoid in future, the paths which lead to jail.

From a responsible parent's perspective it's known as 'tough love'.
edit on 5-10-2013 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Does it surprise me that the boy is a bully?? No because his father

is a BULLY

You could not have got a firmer parent than me, and YES he should have

been punished, but in a manner that would go in some way to recompense

the victim of his bullying.

Not as the father was doing being the 'bigger' bully. The example the

father is setting is that the boy will now wait till he is bigger and stronger than

his father and he can then proceed to bully him!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Perhaps his bullying, if it had continued and gone unpunished, and he continued bullying people, could have possibly led to a student taking their own life.. Just thinking about it that way makes my eyes water.. (a lot)

I hope he won't do it again.. The damage that bullying events can cause, can turn into very horrendous outcomes..

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Is that corner the designated 'hold up a random sign' zone?
I was trying to read the other signs and all i could make out was One saying ;repent blah blah blah and another one probably bagging vets or gays and is that billboard actually telling me how to gain weight?
what a strange land

and yep bullies suck but signs just distract drivers from important things like changing cassettes or texting
edit on 5-10-2013 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   

eletheia

Does it surprise me that the boy is a bully?? No because his father

is a BULLY

You could not have got a firmer parent than me, and YES he should have

been punished, but in a manner that would go in some way to recompense

the victim of his bullying.

Not as the father was doing being the 'bigger' bully. The example the

father is setting is that the boy will now wait till he is bigger and stronger than

his father and he can then proceed to bully him!

You don't know that.

If the father was also a bully it would make sense that he wouldn't see anything wrong when his son behaves the same way, and this 'punishment' wouldn't have happened.

The kid could be bullying for any reason, it could be that he got in with the wrong kids and learned it from them, mimicked their behaviour to 'fit in' or impress them. Maybe this kid is an angel at home and only misbehaves at school/with friends, I know some kids who are exactly like this.

Whatever the reason, I'm betting this kid will think twice about bullying again.
edit on 5-10-2013 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join