It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We the People, and the Republic we must reclaim

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The Republic, dependent upon the people alone.

.000042% (132 people) donated 60% of the super PAC funds in 2012.

Government is now dependent upon the 'funders', no longer dependent upon the people as envisioned by our founders. Consequently, politicians spend their time working to keep their 'funders' satisfied, instead of you and I. In fact, they spend 30-70% of their time raising money to make sure they have the votes for the next election. Public interest = lost; private interest = paramount.

This is corruption. Everyone on both sides, including politicians know this. Unfortunately, it's legal corruption. It's corruption relative to the Founder's vision. It feeds on dysfunction. The worse it is for us, the better it is for the 'funders'.

"Politician" has become nothing more than a prerequisite for "lobbyist". Those tracked who made the move from politician to lobbyist received an average increase in salary of 1,452%

It's a depressing environment for the people. There is a solution.

All info from above, including the simple solution can be found in the video below.

Lawrence Lessig (Harvard law professor): We the People, and the Republic we must reclaim

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by six67seven

You have presented the problem very well. I'll check out the video. Oh - one thing I might want to add - notice the .05%. That is WAY more accurate than the 1%, because the 1% to .1% or so are important to running the economy.

For example. notice the .000042% that funded 60% of the election in question during the TED talk.
edit on 4-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

You have been too nice, I call politicians whores and the corporate interest that they serve are their pimps.

Washington is open for business when the Whores politicians parade their goods in the halls of congress for the interest of their pimps.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Hard-hitting and inspirational.

It is a shame that it is against ATS T&C to recruit etc because I think that right here, on this site, exists the formula for revolution - highly intelligent like-minded people who can see through the BS.

A real shame.

S&F

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yes, much too nice but I was representing the video and had to keep it classy for that reason.

Plus, I didn't want the ATS police on my rearend. Adults can't even discuss the sticky-icky on here without getting your undies shoved in your mouth.
edit on 4-10-2013 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Be very careful here. This is exactly the stuff from the 90's. Back then certain people came to this conclusion and ended up on TV. Ruby Ridge, McVeigh, Montana Freemen, Waco, etc..

Those guys went down that road.,

Whose to say that they didn't appear on the radar and get mind warped and controlled?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Lester..

I have never voted for this very reason.. ANYONE who actually thought voting worked.. lol HOW WELL HAS IT WORKED FOR 50 years?

the smartest kids figure this out by sophomore year in high school, and why I still believe, voting is retarded.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

HanzHenry

Lester..

I have never voted for this very reason.. ANYONE who actually thought voting worked.. lol HOW WELL HAS IT WORKED FOR 50 years?

the smartest kids figure this out by sophomore year in high school, and why I still believe, voting is retarded.

To vote or not to vote...

This is an issue I've battled within my own head quite often. Honestly, our votes matter, though it's difficult to quantify the impact. It's a great practice because we need an active, involved populace. 1) it's the only way to begin the change needed and 2) once change is initiated, power in numbers is how the people will get their country back.

In truth though, I'm guilty of inaction/not voting as much as the next guy. I've only voted once: I'll be 33 in December.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
So the solution is to tell at least 10 people and ask them to tell 10 people (if they even care), to look for the little guy and demand attention for them with the media. If the media will not oblige find an outlet that will and send them as much business as possible; while also not tuning into the media outlets that are paid large dollars for advertising for the guys who have raised funds to afford such things.

This is a peaceful way to bring a voice back to the people. Get out there and share what you know and them also slip in what people can do to help bring the voice back to the people. While it's great to donate to the ones without rich sponsors they will never compete with corporate sponsors.

In the end - it is us who have the power to bring the voice back. By not being entranced by media campaigns that are created by people who are brilliant at selling, and using the power of word of mouth and less wealthy media outlets for our news sources.

1. Share with 10 people in the next year - in a relaxed way - getting too left or right can turn people off - no need to be extreme. Just say it for what it is - it doesn't seem right they can buy their place in Washington.

2. If they say, "I know ....my vote doesn't count or I know... Ho hum...tell them how it can count. Don't make a big deal out of it but know that knowledge is power and may only become passionate knowledge when election year comes around. If they hear it - it will matter; even if they feel hopeless about it at the moment. If they are engaging in talking about it - they will also be thinking about it as time goes on.

3. Donate what you can to the little guy if you believe in him/her - helps with travel expenses at minimum.

4. Attend to media who give them a voice and do not attend to media who only give a voice to those who can afford their air time - enough don't watch and they are forced to give us what we want.

5. Tell people you share with to spread the solution to at least 10 more people in the next year.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

To me, politicians are jackals, sniffing around and feeding off the corpse of the nation. They run in packs, and prey on the weak.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
You may be interested in the Sunlight Foundation.

We need better representation. One congressman per nearly 3/4 of a millions people? Absurd.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

marg6043

You have been too nice, I call politicians whores and the corporate interest that they serve are their pimps.

Washington is open for business when the Whores politicians parade their goods in the halls of congress for the interest of their pimps.

So true! and the Fascist corporations not only control the politicians, they control the cops, the economic system, the military, food distribution, energy oil, electricity and natural gas, basically the entire infrastructure.

The only thing they need the citizenry for is to pay taxes and if you don't the corporate prisons will have a place for you.

It's a brave new world!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Well the super-pacs have had zero effect on the elections so that's a bit of a moot point. I think we can safely say now, after a few elections since Citizens United, that the one with the most money does not win.

Political scientists have known this for awhile but its still a common misconception among the general public. Basically all the money is good for is allowing you to have your campaign staff in place, which includes all your "get out the vote" effort, sufficient advertising, and travel expenses. Beyond that, money is pointless.

It actually gets to the point that a politician can overspend and reap negative effects from it. Depending on the level of government, a politician can oversaturate their voters to the point where people start to view them unfavorably just because they feel his/her election is being pushed too hard.

A very good example of this is Meg Whitman in California who got solidly defeated after spending about 100 million on her campaign. She simply spent too much money to make her appealing to enough voters. It actually had the opposite effect that she intended.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

There isn't any reclaiming the old republic. 200-300 years ago this country was ripe for the taking. Much more opportunity than the population and it remained that way for many decades. Today not so much at all. Trying to run the current situation by the old rules will only lead to complete failure. Without a huge jump towards more equality in wages and opportunity the economies of the world will be going over the cliff. It will simply get to the point where no one will play the game that this perverted capitalism make you play.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

The American revolution was short lived, that is the lie many do not know. The Articles of Confederation was not some ill-conceived hastily drawn up thing. The articles of constitution is a ruse somehow. Has to do with the difference in English and Legalease I suspect.

We see this common term pop up again later in the War for State Rights according to the leader Jefferson Davis, once a man working in the capitol. The Confederacy and the Articles of Confederation are connected. This is largely why the never ending .." der dee der, they were slave owners and the north freed the slaves".. to cover it up.

The Crown got this land back in short order, that is for sure. Money and Wealth = Power..

After 1776 was over, I am pretty sure The King was in a much better financial position, owning half the globe and all. And through corporations, agents in govt., the church, etc.. ruled the country once again, only this time by stealth.. Stupid Americans.. Did we all forget the old saying about "if within earshot of proclamation from the throne, you are under it's rule".? My, how often does America hear about the Royal Family?

Let's be honest. Golden Rule, He whom has it rules. Pretty sure King George had quite a bit he could scrape from beneath the sofa. The banksters are under employ of whom? The Royal Family is connected with the other Monarchs of Europe. And also claim to descend from the Roman Caesars. From Rome, to France, then England. Same Lineage.
edit on 5-10-2013 by HanzHenry because: spellun'

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Overwhelmingly the candidate with the most money wins.

This and the revolving door to K street are the root of all the problems, and the true scandal of the Obama administration. (He promised to close the revolving door.)

In 2012, the candidate who spent more money during the race won a whopping 95% of the time in the 429 house races with decisive conclusions, 406 races. In the Senate, that number is slightly lower. The candidate who spent more won only 80% of the time in the 33 Senate elections this cycle.

House Candidates Who Spent More Money Won Their Elections 95% Of The Time

And from someone, who to my mind, is sorely missed on TV.

top topics

join