It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Putting Myself in Timeout, ATS.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Originally, I had a far more verbose and 'Rant-like' post for this thread, but while writing it, I realized that it was unnecessary.

After a bit of self-evaluation, I've decided that I can no longer take part in threads regarding Politics and Religion, at least for the foreseeable future.

I'm going to stick to the types of threads that lured me to ATS in the first place: Cryptozoology, UFO's, The Paranormal, Old School Conspiracies, Literature and Short Stories.

As far as Politics and Religion go, threads are becoming far too vitriolic and spiteful (on both sides of the room), and since I'm a person whose passion bubbles close to the surface on these particular topics, I think that it's best that I take a seat in the 'timeout' chair when it comes to them.

I look forward to fun and informational exchanges in the types of threads that I mentioned beyond Politics and Religion, and I hope that eventually, this site is able to settle down with regards to those very inflammatory topics at some point in the near future.

Off to the chair I go...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

No worries PC, I can make up the difference!

S&F

Come back when you get your bearings, I do understand what you mean.

edit on 4-10-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

So, how long do you think you can stay in the chair?
I know I have tried to put myself in time-out and it only lasts for about a day LOL!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Vacations from ATS can be very healthy! Especially mental health wise!!! I am not saying it just to say you OR I are always right and others are always wrong. But when you find coming on ATS makes you angry and you allow those whom agitate you to the point you say things you normally won't say.....? Time to take a vacation. You will come back refreshed and have more control over getting baited into the partisan nonsense.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

When it comes to personal enjoyment and mental health, I can last quite awhile. I used to run online game servers 24/7 and they would get fairly popular, and once they started to feel more like a job, I shut them down without a second thought.

Besides, all I have to do is avoid politics and religion, the rest of ATS is my oyster.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Sticking with fun and learning related topics will definitely refresh my batteries, but who knows, I may not ever want to expend the energy on politics and religion again. That stuff can be poison.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Except the OP isn't having a vacation from ATS just the forums that are causing him stress , not so much a rant more of a FYI

I'm going to stick to the types of threads that lured me to ATS in the first place:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Trust me, the original post I was going to make would've made me sound like a rambling lunatic. Luckily, I took a breath, deleted a couple thousand words and started over.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

greencmp

No worries PC, I can make up the difference!

S&F

Come back when you get your bearings, I do understand what you mean.

edit on 4-10-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

Have at it, just keep the really important stuff in mind.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I know how you feel! I have felt the same this week about certain topics and I have decided today to take a back seat on the thread posting ( sometimes its more bother than its worth )

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Lady_Tuatha

I know how you feel! I have felt the same this week about certain topics and I have decided today to take a back seat on the thread posting ( sometimes its more bother than its worth )

Absolutely. Not to mention, at least in my case, I found that I was replying the same arguments over and over again to each new thread. It got to the point that when I saw a new thread in those topics, the title alone was making me angry.

Yeah, it was time to play Minecraft or write, or something...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I applaud your self-awareness and self-control.

People can get too wrapped up in stuff they read on the web and forget their manners and common sense as well as the fact that there are real people on the other end of those pixels.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

kosmicjack
I applaud your self-awareness and self-control.

People can get too wrapped up in stuff they read on the web and forget their manners and common sense as well as the fact that there are real people on the other end of those pixels.

Reality does tend to get warped the more often you indulge in confrontations online, and it's simply not worth it. After all, when it comes to politics and religion, what are you changing besides your stress level?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

That's very true, sometimes people forget that they are talking to real people and in the real world they probably would not act in the same way, but still, it's not nice when you are on the receiving end, sometimes its better to just remove yourself from the situation at hand

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Maybe taking some time from responding to posts is a good idea. However, don't discount what's posted. I hope to still see you around.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

madmangunradio

Maybe taking some time from responding to posts is a good idea. However, don't discount what's posted. I hope to still see you around.

Definitely. I will always read the news threads, since ATS is essentially where I get many news stories and links. I will just not take part.

I have a feeling that it's going to feel a bit like quitting smoking. Since keeping my mouth shut has always been an issue for me.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Well then I can be your ats anonymous buddy saying as I am taking a back seat also

If you get the urge to post just pm me first and vice versa lol we can meet on Monday nights in chat and talk about our withdrawal lol

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Don't quit.
second line..

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Lady_Tuatha

Well then I can be your ats anonymous buddy saying as I am taking a back seat also

If you get the urge to post just pm me first and vice versa lol we can meet on Monday nights in chat and talk about our withdrawal lol

Ha! You've got a deal. I think that I'll be much more calm and happy just getting away from all of the fighting, even if I may have to occasionally put a rubber band on my wrist and snap it every once in a while.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Tuatha you own
life is full of second lines
well hell lets try for a third line * Chaos send me a u2u if you want to talk about anything.
edit on 10/4/2013 by madmangunradio because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join