It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Spent $5 Billion on Weapons on the Eve of the Shutdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Tried to search if this was posted allready but couldn´t find it.. we seldomly gets news about US military buying weapons from country i live Finland, but this purchase of 40 million hand grenades was notified here. Surely it´s not uncommon to make big purchases just before end of the fiscal year but there were some items that were intresting.

Full article here ( there is a subscription message but try to hit stop loading before it activates ) FP National Security

All told, the Pentagon awarded 94 contracts yesterday evening on its annual end-of-the-fiscal-year spending spree, spending more than five billion dollars on everything from robot submarines to Finnish hand grenades and a radar base mounted on an offshore oil platform. To put things in perspective, the Pentagon gave out only 14 contracts on September 3, the first workday of the month. Here are some of the more interesting purchases from Monday's dollar-dump. First up: the Defense Logistics Agency, the Pentagon branch that provides the armed services with things like fuel and spare parts. DLA has the honor of dropping the most cash in one contract last night with the $2.5 billion award it gave to aircraft engine-maker Pratt & Whitney for "various weapons system spare parts" used by the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. Other highlights of DLA's last-minute spree included: $65 million for military helmets from BAE Systems, $24 million for "traveling wave tubes" to amplify radio signals from Thales, $17 million for liquid nitrogen, $15 million for helium and $19 million on cots. Yes, cots.

[/align]

While there are people suffering of shutdown.. Pentagon spends.

Im sure you have some thoughts about this...
edit on 4-10-2013 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

The spending train in DC never stops.

But $19 mil on cots? Those cots are about $100 a pop commercially. I would like to think in bulk, a little cheaper. Regardless, at full price that is 190,000 cots.

Granted cots wear out, get left in theater, etc. I would be curios when the last mass procurement of cots was.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
17 million for liquid Nitrogen and 15 million for helium?....must be for laser platforms?
40 million hand grenades? I mean c'mon I understand govt military spending , but this just reeks of preparation for war...I still can't wrap my head around 40 million hand grenades..
Thanks for the heads up !

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Sadly is only shut down for the people and their pay checks that is the way to control the population and shows who is in charge, the defense is priority so is on going.

Interesting enough that even with the shut down the government have petty cash to pay for barricades in the national monuments, what that tells you.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
no surprise really ...the wars make the world go round and round,round and round...(hum to a tune of your liking)...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

The spending was before the shutdown and had nothing to do with it. This practice occurs at the end of every fiscal year. In every department. If the department doesn't spend the money, they lose it. It's nothing new. A 1980 report:

We believe that the year-end surges may be the symptom of a larger problem - the failure by agenices and the Office of Management and Budget to effectively monitor and manage the execution of the budget, as already required by the Anti-deficiency Act.
www.gao.gov...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

Do you think they forgot to order the 190,000 coffins? Or does that come later?

Better still, the cots could double up as coffins; when you pull cord #D the cots eject a kind of hammock, over which the 'cot' serves as the coffins' lids.

I think an immediate enquiry is in order here.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Phage

The spending was before the shutdown and had nothing to do with it. This practice occurs at the end of every fiscal year. In every department. If the department doesn't spend the money, they lose it. It's nothing new. A 1980 report:

We believe that the year-end surges may be the symptom of a larger problem - the failure by agenices and the Office of Management and Budget to effectively monitor and manage the execution of the budget, as already required by the Anti-deficiency Act.
www.gao.gov...

Yup.
The same goes for re-enlistmet bonuses. If you learn the tricks of the trade, you would be wise to re-up at the end of the fiscal year because they have to use that cash up.

I have a battle who re-up three years ago around that time and his bonus was a whopping $45,000, course he had to due 6 years and he would get it in 2 parts and that's after taxes.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yep. And not just a public sector practice.

Your reward for cutting budgets and saving money is less of a budget next year, so everybody scrambles at the end of the year to "prove" that they really needed all the money they were allotted. Bean counters are odd creatures everywhere.

Time for a few paradigm shifts, particularly in government.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
About the hand grenades, my hubby in the Australian defence force and I just asked him if he thought that was an extreme amount, he said no. He said he has thrown roughly 100 or so and he isn't infantry.

Story short post, i will add more later, i hate this stupid pad tablet thi gy for typing

Love and harmony
Whateva
edit on 4/10/13 by Whateva69 because: more content

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

don't forget the Zionist aid AIPAC is working to exempt from US budget cuts, by moving it to the pentagons budget.
details around 4:00

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

highfreq
17 million for liquid Nitrogen and 15 million for helium?....must be for laser platforms?
40 million hand grenades? I mean c'mon I understand govt military spending , but this just reeks of preparation for war...I still can't wrap my head around 40 million hand grenades..

My exact same thought. Way too many grenades for the wars we current have going on.
More troubling signs like the millions of rounds of ammo for DHS.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
When was the last order for grenades? What is their expiry date? Allocate 100 for each member, 400 for each infantry member, how many does that add up to? And remember these numbers are just for training, who knows how many are used on missions and such.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Asktheanimals

highfreq

My exact same thought. Way too many grenades for the wars we current have going on.
More troubling signs like the millions of rounds of ammo for DHS.

First of all it is not 40 million hand grenades. It is a contract for $40 million for specialized hand grenades that allow you to set the size of the blast and it is for the Special Operations command. I have no idea how many years the contract covers. And contracts for things like millions of rounds of ammo do not mean you buy a bunch of ammo and it is dropped of the next day. They are set over the course of several years locking in a price for certain amount. For example I come to your company and say I want lock in this low price per a round for the next 5 years for up to 400 million rounds with a guarantee to purchase 100 million. That way if they need more ammo than the though they can not be held ransom for a higher price point.

new topics

top topics

join