It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pa college student arrested for wearing Joker makeup

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
People are being conditioned to be afraid of damn near everything today. Kids in school are taught that the very image of a gun (or a group that supports gun rights) should have them shivering in fear and anyone acting out of the norm must be reported to police as a potential menace.

A college kid preparing to go to a Comic-Con type thingy decided to wear his Joker makeup to class before heading over to the Con. Bedlam ensued.

Pa. student in Joker makeup suspended amid charges

A student has been suspended from a western Pennsylvania university and faces criminal charges amid police claims that he was belligerent and spit on an officer called to a classroom because the student wore makeup that made him look like the Batman villain "The Joker."

Smith and DiLucente said the student was planning to attend a comic book convention after a class that day, and didn't mean any harm.

According to a police complaint, several students were startled by Smith's appearance in the makeup and a black hooded sweatshirt and called 911. A gunman last year killed 12 people when he entered a Colorado movie theater during a Batman movie, while wearing Joker-like makeup.

Philly.com

Initially, the police quickly determined that Smith was not threat to anyone and left the classroom. Then, for no good reason, they came back minutes later and demanded that Smith remove his makeup. Like anyone faced with jackbooted police oppression, Smith became angry, argued with the officers, eventually spit at them and allegedly tried to headbutt one, resulting in his arrest.

The cops even went so far as to attempt to have Smith involuntarily committed to a mental institution for saying he felt like killing police (a natural reaction to thuggish police behavior IMO).

I'm just surprised nobody ran screaming from the classroom when he came in.

Smith was released on $25,000 bond and has a preliminary hearing Oct. 23 on charges of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, terroristic threats and disorderly conduct.

All that because he wanted to go in character to a comic book convention.

edit on 10/4/13 by FortAnthem because: Doh! forgot to post link!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Five year olds being expelled from school for making a gun gesture with their fingers. Why does this not surprise me, when we have a government ruling by FEAR!!!! Isn't that what this is????

A bunch of pussies overreacting to a situation that has a valid excuse!!!

I guess Minority Report was more than just a movie. Here is an individual that did nothing wrong and has a 25k bail for what???? Putting on some God damn make up!!!

Welcome to Amerika....

BTW, I am in W. PA. What college did this happen at???? Cause if it is local to me, I am going to be up some local officials asses!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Like anyone faced with jackbooted police oppression, Smith became angry, argued with the officers, eventually spit at them and allegedly tried to headbutt one, resulting in his arrest.

Um, no.

Rational people do not become angry to the point of spitting at and attacking police officers. Not unless they want to go to jail, that is. He showed incredibly poor judgement in coming to a university campus dressed like that, and we don't really know why the police came back after leaving the classroom the first time, but a proper reaction would have been "let me call my attorney", not "let me attempt to headbutt you."

Unlike what your thread title says, he wasn't arrested for wearing makeup, he was arrested for his violent reaction toward the police, and anyone would have been arrested after acting like that, Joker makeup or not.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

It was Carlow University. Never heard of them before. (just added the link, thanks for pointing out I forgot it)

I hope people do protest them. Bugging some poor student for wearing makeup to class really is going overboard. Sure, the cops had to respond to the 9-11 calls but, after they determined he was no threat, they should have left well enough alone.

Not to mention the jumpy students who called 9-11 for some kid in makeup should be ashamed of themselves.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

- They called the cops because they thought he was a violent menace.
- The cops showed up and he was a violent menace.
- The newspaper writes an article describing his arrest as a result of his violently-menacing actions.

- Then people here say "Jackboot nazis! Yaaaaargh!"

Not everybody who gets arrested is a victim. I would bet money that he wouldn't have been arrested had he not flipped out and proved them all correct.
edit on 4-10-2013 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Carlow? Damn, never heard of that one, but thanks for letting me know...

For those saying he deserved to be arrested........perhaps he did act improperly, but you know what, it is this kind of attitude to obey your oppressors when you have done nothing wrong OR illegal that leads to total subservience. Living in fear of those whom have the authority to arrest you at their whim is nothing more than being a slave..........

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

FortAnthem

People are being conditioned to be afraid of damn near everything today. Kids in school are taught that the very image of a gun (or a group that supports gun rights) should have them shivering in fear and anyone acting out of the norm must be reported to police as a potential menace.

A college kid preparing to go to a Comic-Con type thingy decided to wear his Joker makeup to class before heading over to the Con. Bedlam ensued.

Poor wittle things...a wittle guy dwessed wike a comic book bad guy scared them.

Any good attorney will get all the cases dropped and likely get the kid damages in return. He apparently had no weaponry, no intent, and no life (as he is going to a comic book convention about to engage in "cosplay"...sorry, zero respect earned in my book, unless yer a hot gal dressed in something skin tight...then, hey, send me photos!!!!
...therefore, there is no case against him.

One time a coworker went to HR over the fact that I somehow "scared" them. They saw me use a pocket knife. HR calmly explained that although we were working in the corporate offices, we were all considered management, and where unionized employees (who were capable of, allowed to, and expected to use knives) were perfectly ok to carry a pocket knife, management is allowed to as well. Just as pretty much anything management did, unionized employees were allowed to do, too. They threatened to sue because I scared them "badly". I was opening a box.

I'm about to hit reply, don't report me to the police as being "scary", please...

- SN

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

adjensen

Rational people do not become angry to the point of spitting at and attacking police officers. Not unless they want to go to jail, that is. He showed incredibly poor judgement in coming to a university campus dressed like that, and we don't really know why the police came back after leaving the classroom the first time, but a proper reaction would have been "let me call my attorney", not "let me attempt to headbutt you."

Unlike what your thread title says, he wasn't arrested for wearing makeup, he was arrested for his violent reaction toward the police, and anyone would have been arrested after acting like that, Joker makeup or not.

"Appropriate behavior/responses" do not always bubble to the surface for the sake of doing so when in the heat of the moment. He was obviously a little bit younger, probably late teens or early twenties. He got mad over his unjust treatment. IT was a FARCE. He reacted improperly. He'll pay for that. BUT, the idea that this all got started over a non-issue, I am still quite certain a decent lawyer will walk out of the court laughing with this kid as they recoup some mula.

- SN

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

SadistNocturne
Any good attorney will get all the cases dropped and likely get the kid damages in return. He apparently had no weaponry, no intent, and no life...therefore, there is no case against him.

No case? Are you serious?

He didn't get arrested for wearing make up, he was arrested for attacking the police, and yes, I'd say that they have a pretty solid case against him, since he apparently did it in a classroom full of witnesses.

Case dropped? Damages? Fat chance.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

adjensen

SadistNocturne
Any good attorney will get all the cases dropped and likely get the kid damages in return. He apparently had no weaponry, no intent, and no life...therefore, there is no case against him.

No case? Are you serious?

He didn't get arrested for wearing make up, he was arrested for attacking the police, and yes, I'd say that they have a pretty solid case against him, since he apparently did it in a classroom full of witnesses.

Case dropped? Damages? Fat chance.

No "original" case. Read my second post. I said that. I also said he would pay for the outburst against the police because of his actions. I said that.

Feel all superior now ?

- SN

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Sometimes force is rational.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Why is it always the person who was arrested who is the one everyone assumes is the one who overreacted? Why doesn't anyone even stop to consider that, maybe, it was the COPS who overreacted?

The cops were quickly able to determine the guy wasn't a threat. They should have announced to the classroom "Its OK everybody, no psycho-killer here, just some nerd going to a convention" and left it at that. It would have reassured the terrified students and not have trampled on the rights of a student who had broken no laws.

Instead, they came back minutes later, removed him from the classroom and demanded that he remove the makeup. A lot of those comic book nerds spend a lot of time and effort on their costumes for these conventions. He probably intended to go directly from class to the con which is why he put the makeup on beforehand. In his mind, the demand to remove the makeup was unreasonable and he resisted.

What gives police the right to demand any peaceful person to remove their makeup? Do we really want to live in a society where we must comply with every police officer's capricious demands?

Sure, he overreacted when he spit and and (allegedly) attempted to headbutt the cops but, it never would have gotten to that point if the police hadn't overreacted first.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Don't worry Fort. Those whom keep making excuses for "SOME" of these cops criminal behaviors, might just find themselves being a victim of law enforcement abuse!

Hmmmmm, I wonder if their attitude will change then????

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

FortAnthem

Why is it always the person who was arrested who is the one everyone assumes is the one who overreacted? Why doesn't anyone even stop to consider that, maybe, it was the COPS who overreacted?

Thank you! I was hoping someone was going to point that out.

There was no problem at that school UNTIL the cops showed up.

What if this guy doesn't like the lipstick and eye shadow some of the teachers are wearing, can he call the cops? Of course people will say thats just silly, and they'd be right, and what happened to this guy in the op is silly too!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

FortAnthem
Instead, they came back minutes later, removed him from the classroom and demanded that he remove the makeup. A lot of those comic book nerds spend a lot of time and effort on their costumes for these conventions. He probably intended to go directly from class to the con which is why he put the makeup on beforehand. In his mind, the demand to remove the makeup was unreasonable and he resisted.

What gives police the right to demand any peaceful person to remove their makeup? Do we really want to live in a society where we must comply with every police officer's capricious demands?

As I said, you have no idea why they came back into the classroom and confronted him, but one assumes that they had a valid reason to remove him from the classroom -- I would say the most obvious reason is that the campus authorities told them to do it, that they didn't want this "Joker" on campus.

Sure, he overreacted when he spit and and (allegedly) attempted to headbutt the cops but, it never would have gotten to that point if the police hadn't overreacted first.

Given that we do not know what the facts are regarding police motivation, it is not valid to state that they overreacted, though we appear to be in agreement that make-up boy overreacted, and that is why he was arrested, not because he was dressed like a weirdo.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
"...arrested for wearing joker makeup..."

While the arrest was uncalled for, it also serves as a reminder that any headline with the word "for" in it is usually a lie.
eg. "man arrested for..."
"woman killed for..."
"student fined for..."
"... Brutalize Man For Underage Gambling"
etc

He was arrested for spitting at police and headbutting them. Not the makeup.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

adjensen

Like anyone faced with jackbooted police oppression, Smith became angry, argued with the officers, eventually spit at them and allegedly tried to headbutt one, resulting in his arrest.

Um, no.

um, no yourself

Initially, the police quickly determined that Smith was not threat to anyone and left the classroom. Then, for no good reason, they came back minutes later and demanded that Smith remove his makeup.

in your excessive and servile haste to defend the irrational actions of the officers who obviously, when calling to report the matter settled and no biggie, received orders to go back and get tyrannical on this guy,

you've failed to read

he was arrested for his natural reaction upon being accosted by irrational demands and the initiation of force against his person for refusal to comply. as for the charges against him, lets wait for the trial, as it was in a classroom full of witnesses, none of which had any complaints until the officers returned a 2nd time

after all, police are notorious for self serving pathological BS, oft lapped up by compliant sheeple, or well to do fascists who see them as their personal security force.

from the OP's link

Later, when police tried to have him committed to the psychiatric unit of a hospital, Smith allegedly said he felt like killing police - a claim DiLucente denied.

The attorney believes police erred in returning to the classroom to remove Smith after determining he wasn't a threat.

"After he went back to the classroom, they should have left him alone," DiLucente said.

Read more at www.philly.com...

edit on 4-10-2013 by Metaphysique because: added edit & comment

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Metaphysique

adjensen

Um, no.

Can I get an AMEN ????

-SN

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

sheeple/peasant mentality
ROFL they're living in the dark ages
and see anyone who questions the masters and their "knights" as insane
when it's the other way around.

sigh... just ignore them, as a prophet, your duty is to the Remnant
S&F btw

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

seeker1963

Don't worry Fort. Those whom keep making excuses for "SOME" of these cops criminal behaviors, might just find themselves being a victim of law enforcement abuse!

Hmmmmm, I wonder if their attitude will change then????

one lives in hope, however if that's what it takes to convince them...

they're more probably likely to thank them and kiss their feet.
such a disgusting display of servility will no doubt bring yet another beating or even bullets because : "he tried to bite my feet"

and an amen for 'nocturne

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join