It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Sets Himself On Fire Near To White House.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Wasn't someone on this forum just the other day, saying that someone should do this, as a way to protest? Wish I could remember where that comment occurred....

starfoxxx
Guy's a nut job.. I don't care why he did it. The fact he is so stupid to set himself afire tells me whatever his cause is, is no cause I want part of.. Hell might as well have Heavens gated hail bopped out..

How big of you to judge someone else, who made a choice you don't understand, probably because they were in a situation you don't understand. Yet with all your lack of understanding, you've just made up your mind in the blink of any eye and deemed this man and his actions unworthy.

Obviously, they were extreme actions. And sure, many people might call them "insane." They certainly don't look like the actions of an undisturbed individual. But maybe this was a protest, against what's going on in government. If so, it was an "insane" protest, against insane governmental policies and actions.

Furthermore (and one of the many reasons your post borders on offensive) his action was a brave one despite not exactly being socially acceptable. But what is "socially acceptable" about all the harm the government is doing? Ignorantly judge him, and call him insane if you want-- but this guy did more to protest the BS in our government than any one of us has, or probably will. We all sat around and talked. This guy burned to death to send a message.

I hope they listen, before more messengers feel the need to show up.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

Well I took it as an omen when that private plane flew at the White House and crashed on 9/11 I forget of what year but way before 2001.

P.S.
A long time ago there was a group of Buddhists and one lit himself on fire in protest to something. I'm guessing this is different.

Example of Buddhist
articles.courant.com...

Kennedy says photo of Duc on fire most emotionly moving photo ever
en.m.wikipedia.org...
edit on 5-10-2013 by Johnathanandheather because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

iwilliam
Wasn't someone on this forum just the other day, saying that someone should do this, as a way to protest? Wish I could remember where that comment occurred....

starfoxxx
Guy's a nut job.. I don't care why he did it. The fact he is so stupid to set himself afire tells me whatever his cause is, is no cause I want part of.. Hell might as well have Heavens gated hail bopped out..

How big of you to judge someone else, who made a choice you don't understand, probably because they were in a situation you don't understand. Yet with all your lack of understanding, you've just made up your mind in the blink of any eye and deemed this man and his actions unworthy.

Obviously, they were extreme actions. And sure, many people might call them "insane." They certainly don't look like the actions of an undisturbed individual. But maybe this was a protest, against what's going on in government. If so, it was an "insane" protest, against insane governmental policies and actions.

Furthermore (and one of the many reasons your post borders on offensive) his action was a brave one despite not exactly being socially acceptable. But what is "socially acceptable" about all the harm the government is doing? Ignorantly judge him, and call him insane if you want-- but this guy did more to protest the BS in our government than any one of us has, or probably will. We all sat around and talked. This guy burned to death to send a message.

I hope they listen, before more messengers feel the need to show up.

Unmount of that HIGH HORSE their buddy. You have no freaking clue WHY he set himself on fire.. Saying it was protest of the government and bravery bull crap.. Bravery is jumping in front of a bullet for someone.. Bravery is saving some one from a burning house/building.. IE as examples
edit on 5-10-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I want to know more about the other person who apparently was there filming it. Where are they?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This saddens me so much. I cannot see how it was not done in a form of protest. If it were simply that the man was suicidal, there are much less painful and public methods. His choice of location and the public horror absolutely point to it being political in nature. Ergo, an act of protest and dire distress. According to the NY Daily News, he thanked the people trying to save him. He clearly wanted death so was it that he changed his mind after he began or was he grateful that people rushed to try to save him, restoring a little hope for the world? Heart wrenching.

In other countries, such acts did indeed catapult protest. Tunisia and Greece are two that I can recall off-hand. Here in the US, looking at the news comments, I see mostly comments about how we need a better mental health system as the man was obviously insane. Not even remotely the same reaction here in the US as such moves had in Tunisia and Greece. Why is that? Is it fear of acknowledging that the circumstances for some has grown so desperate that they would chose such a course for death? Is it simply more comfortable to presume insanity as the only impetus as that disengages us perhaps from any sense of culpability?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

WhiteAliceIn other countries, such acts did indeed catapult protest. Tunisia and Greece are two that I can recall off-hand. Here in the US, looking at the news comments, I see mostly comments about how we need a better mental health system as the man was obviously insane. Not even remotely the same reaction here in the US as such moves had in Tunisia and Greece. Why is that? Is it fear of acknowledging that the circumstances for some has grown so desperate that they would chose such a course for death? Is it simply more comfortable to presume insanity as the only impetus as that disengages us perhaps from any sense of culpability?

In short, yes. The media and government realize that if they recognize this as actual protest and admit that our system is so bad at this point that people are being driven to public suicide as a form of defiance... we're done as a nation. The recognition of that by the masses (which would be assured if the media/government recognized it as such) is something that would produce large revolts at best and a civil war at worst.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by johncarter

JBA2848
And they want to know who was there taking pictures in order to control the photos that will be released.

media2.s-nbcnews.com...

And I have another picture for you.
ww3.hdnux.com...
I will say it again.
And they want to know who was there taking pictures in order to control the photos that will be released.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

Pretty much so I suppose the question then would be whether or not they are doing the right thing. I would certainly hope that, at the least, our leadership comprehends the level of despair and acts accordingly even in the face of public information management. A problem will still exist no matter how much one controls the dialogue. It's the equivalent of telling someone dying of cancer that they are not dying of cancer.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Could either be two things. The first reason may have been because he was too hot for this world and spontaneously combusted from his hotness. The second reason (more believable) is that he did it out of protest which is not surprising. The US is turning into a third world country and people are now seeing it happen. People are constantly saying "Why don't you do something about it if you care about your country so much?" so they wait and wait and then they finally decide to do it.

The car driving through the gate was an unfortunate accident of a bunch of things going wrong but this is a guy that set himself on fire in what is believed to be a sign of protest. It won't be long before things escalate into more people marching down to the capitol in protest. Honestly speaking I hope it happens because Obamacare is the final nail in the coffin.

“Congress Shall Make No Law Respecting an Establishment of Religion, or Prohibiting the Free Exercise Thereof; or Abridging the Freedom of Speech, or of the Press; or the Right of the People Peaceably to Assemble, and To Petition the Government for a Redress of Grievances.”— First Amendment

And in the event that a peaceful protest does not work and the government becomes tyrant, there's the Second Amendment which can be used constitutionally.

The Republicans reluctantly agreed to pass everything else that the liberals wanted, except for Obamacare because it makes no sense to implement it. Yet, Liberals say nope, we won't budge no matter what. Republicans said that they are willing to talk it over for another year so the government isn't on shutdown and the economy won't hurt and the liberals say no, they won't budge. That's not very democratic of those "Democrats" now is it? I think that's pretty tyrant and worth to march there with signs saying "Democrats, give it up, we don't want your Obamacare". etc etc... Or at least "Stop being childish, delay Obamacare for now".

Anywhoo~ Here's hoping there's a protest date that is established. Go America!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Seems a bit more than just a little strange........
There is something we are missing.......something that is being kept from us or something they have not found as of yet.
A letter or web page........something.
People just don't commit suicide without a reason.
Whether he just wanted to kill himself or it was politically modivated, he more than likly left something behind explaining his actions.
Quad

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
So I heard on the radio that he died and that they are going to use his dental records for identification.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

Aaron alexis-34 Miriam Carey-34 Moses Siblings- Miriam, Aaron- Man sets himself on fire- 34 year old Black Man? 3 victims of Occult Ritual 3- 3+4-7 777 Number of The Golden Dawm- Trinity- Government Shutdown- Yikes

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

SaneThinking
The Arab spring when it started in Tunisia, surprised so many forget, was when a man Mohamed Bouazizi set him self on fire after constant harassment from police and his government. For so long people have said it will never come to that here, we have it too good.

When the Arab spring started it was all over our TV's look at these animals can't live amongst each other some said. But what really sets the western world apart, besides we fear the backlash too much to actually stand up and fight for what we believe in.

Is today the start of something will we see this pegged as another person with mental problems, could it be a person pushed to the brink by the course our society is set upon.

I for one think the media will spin this just another depressed citizen, move along nothing to see here.

But I for one will not forget Mohamed Bouazizi and what his sacrifice set forth and has continued to spread, we can all sit back latte in hand big screen and nice car and think

"hell, it happens over there. It'll never be that bad here"

Or is it already and we've just been to preoccupied and complacent to not notice it happen???

SaneThinking

This is why the major push for disinformation, discrediting, and overall blackout of the facts and the truth of what happens in our society (in the US, and I would go as far to say it is happening elsewhere as well).

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The White House in the title as Sky News first
irresponsibly ran with it sadly is continuing to
do it's sensationalist voodoo here on ATS.

MAN SETS HIMSELF ON FIRE NEAR US CAPITAL
is the correct title.

Should we discuss the possibility
that he was protesting the Obstructionist
House of Reps.
And it's 10% approval rating?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sealing

Honestly I am surprised their approval rate is so high.

I guess MSM wants to keep this story quite.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Man Dies of Injuries
Link

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

It would be brave if it was a truly selfless act done purely for (in his mind) the greater good. Done as a byproduct of a means to simply commit suicide wouldn't be very brave, no. Do we even know enough about this case to be attributing such ideas to this man?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

rocktsar
reply to post by starfoxxx

It would be brave if it was a truly selfless act done purely for (in his mind) the greater good. Done as a byproduct of a means to simply commit suicide wouldn't be very brave, no. Do we even know enough about this case to be attributing such ideas to this man?

Add to that the fact of politically motivated cases of self immolation are a more modern phenomenon. Self immolation throughout history has had MANY different reasons behind it.. some not so altruistic. I guess if he didnt leave a message as to his reasons.. he died for no reason or his own reasons we will never know. Well, until his accomplice that was filming it with a tripod is interrogated.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Em2013
The Republicans reluctantly agreed to pass everything else that the liberals wanted, except for Obamacare because it makes no sense to implement it. Yet, Liberals say nope, we won't budge no matter what. Republicans said that they are willing to talk it over for another year so the government isn't on shutdown and the economy won't hurt and the liberals say no, they won't budge. That's not very democratic of those "Democrats" now is it? I think that's pretty tyrant and worth to march there with signs saying "Democrats, give it up, we don't want your Obamacare". etc etc... Or at least "Stop being childish, delay Obamacare for now".

I don't want to derail this into the healthcare debate but the ACA was debated in congress for 14 months during which time it was changed from a single payer system to the current mess which was taken word for word from the Republicans own health care solution that they put forth 20 years ago and supported until 2008 (it was even part of McCains presidential campaign) in exchange for Republican votes on the thing due to the desire to pass something bipartisan. The Republicans voted against it after getting everything they wanted and branded it as a Democrat idea, determined to see it fail. After being passed it has gone through two election cycles that have largely devolved into continue/repeal the ACA. Both times the voters voted in favor of keeping it despite it's flaws. Since then it has gone up against over 40 bills to defend it and those bills haven't passed. Now the Republicans are saying delay it (so they can try and defund it in a third election) and are holding the government hostage until they get their way.

That is not democracy. Unlike many, I'm in favor of the minority still having some power in a democracy but what is being done right now is wrong. The debate on the bill is over, it has passed through congress, and it has stood up to subsequent elections where the main issue was to defund it or not. To hold the country hostage because one side didn't get their way is wrong and is a perfect example of the major issues in our system. Democracy requires give and take, accepting that one side won't always get their way regardless of if their side is right or wrong. This reminds me of the Democrats using soldiers lives as a bargaining chip during the Iraq war in the Bush years. After that display I lost any ability to look at the Democrat party as being a force for good in America. If I still held any respect for Republicans... after this shutdown I've lost it. The Republicans, but especially the Tea Party wing of them are an enemy of the country, they're unwilling to accept democracy and have shown themselves willing to burn down the country if they don't get their way.

It's enough to make one think the only way out is death. We have our only two major political parties that have each shown themselves unable to run things responsibly. I can completely understand why someone would burn themselves alive, it's a last ditch effort to call attention to the problem.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
MeK liked to burn themselves. Then MeK started in the UK with Anwar al-Awlaki. And we know how Anwar al-Awlaki then decided on Terrorist attacks until a drone killed him. MeK also bombed the Iranian embassy in New York, They killed Black Water contractors and hung them from a bridge only after burning them and dragging them through the streets with trucks. MeK also did the dirty job for Saddam using chemical weapons on the Kurds for him. So all ways question what this means? Our government wont tell us about terrorist in the US. It is all ways a random act of violence by some one with mental problems who used drugs. Never a terrorist.

www.nejatngo.org...
edit on 5-10-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join