It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Sets Himself On Fire Near To White House.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Is there something really wrong in Washington.

A man set himself on fire in a part of Washington DC, close to the White House, local officials have said. A fire official said a man has been flown to the hospital after suffering major burns.

A witness said she saw the man dump a red canister of petrol on his head and then set himself on fire. One witness Vanessa Sink, wrote on Twitter: "Just witnessed the craziest thing ever... a man set himself on fire and danced down the Mall.

"A runner and passerby put the flames out. I didn't see him light the match, but I saw the flames engulf his body. It was incredible."

She said the man was picked up by a helicopter and transported to a medical facility.

The incident happened just after 4.20pm EST (9.20pm BST) in a part of Washington DC called the National Mall.

DC police spokeswoman Saray Leon said: "We have a report of a man on fire at 7th and Independence."

She said the man was “conscious and breathing” when firefighters responded.

It is believed a police officer with the city's Metro Police attempted to help put out the blaze.

Fire Department spokesman Tim Wilson said the man has life-threatening injuries.

His name and age were not immediately known.

A dog was seen checking the seen with a police handler afterwards.

SKY NEWS

I don't know how close the mall is to the white house so cant say if the sky headline is
just attention grabbing but there no information yet as to why he would do this.

edit on 4/10/2013 by skuly because: changed the first line as it was a little bit too hartless which i didt mean to come across as

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
How sad

People are fed up, I get that, but my goodness, to go to such extremes.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Fluoride... But besides that I think they are getting tired of being messed with. Really. Now their paychecks are getting messed with. You take someone who is working dusk til dawn to keep his house and is barely hanging on.... then take his paycheck so he loses it through no fault of his own. THAT'S enough to make a saint come for you in the dark of night.

My guess is that we will see more of this as long as the shut down lasts. Everyone wanted a revolution? It starts with just a few and spreads. Washington may very well be on fire within weeks so long as they see fit to play with folks.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

DeanWormer
How sad

People are fed up, I get that, but my goodness, to go to such extremes.

Happened a lot during the Vietnam War (over there). Hard to come up with a more "in your face" protest than sitting cross-legged with your hands folded while you are giving off flames 8' high...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Like another poster said...this was the ultimate sign of desperate protest in Vietnam. It's also what sparked Tunisia and kicked off the whole Arab Spring, for what it's worth. One Self-immolation.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

skuly

I don't know how close the mall is to the white house so cant say if the headline is
just attention grabbing but there no information yet as to why he would do this.

"The Mall" is definitely within walking distance of the WhiteHouse. I lived in the DC area for just under 25 years. "The Mall" is a huge grassy area, where outdoor events occur and people can go to picnic, gather, etc.

It is also the perfect place to stage a VERY public protest such as this.

Whereas I feel horrible for the man who obviously was in some sort of scenario that he felt bad enough he had to do this, I cannot help but believe this is related to the Gov't shutdown.

ALL of my good friends in the DC area either work for the military or fed gov't directly, or for an immediate contractor to either entity. They are now sitting at home, with nothing to do, earning no income.

Military and Fed Gov't families are now on ferlow, and are without pay.

All because of the petty arguments and obstinate CIVIL SERVANTS who are seemingly incapable of doing one basic thing. One thing that anyone who is an adult, or the head of a household does. Balance a frakking checkbook. This is balancing our national budget, there is no difference. It is a measure of saying "for X period of time, we only have Y amount of money. What can we afford, and what do we need to cut out." The idea that these pompous blowhards are incapable of realizing what their actions are causing to EVERYONE, not just those who are currently without income, is sickening to me.

Sure, a few have offered to "donate their earned income for the period of gov't closure to charity", well, I cannot see this as anything but a panacea. A band-aid as a solution for an amputated limb. It is actually, IMHO, a slap in the face to every single working american.

I believe there is a fairly high probability that yesterday's car ramming into the gates in front of the whitehouse is somehow related to this. I feel that there is also a high probability we will see more of this in the near future.

People are fed up, and it is a bad situation. Very, very bad. People are running out of food, medication, a warm place to sleep, and out of patience.

- SN

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This just came up on twitter but i don't know who myles miller is and how he would
know it was a protest.

Phage

Iv never been to America so i don't know if it is close or not.
The headline the one sky has in the link.

edit on 4/10/2013 by skuly because: spelling

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The Arab spring when it started in Tunisia, surprised so many forget, was when a man Mohamed Bouazizi set him self on fire after constant harassment from police and his government. For so long people have said it will never come to that here, we have it too good.

When the Arab spring started it was all over our TV's look at these animals can't live amongst each other some said. But what really sets the western world apart, besides we fear the backlash too much to actually stand up and fight for what we believe in.

Is today the start of something will we see this pegged as another person with mental problems, could it be a person pushed to the brink by the course our society is set upon.

I for one think the media will spin this just another depressed citizen, move along nothing to see here.

But I for one will not forget Mohamed Bouazizi and what his sacrifice set forth and has continued to spread, we can all sit back latte in hand big screen and nice car and think

"hell, it happens over there. It'll never be that bad here"

Or is it already and we've just been to preoccupied and complacent to not notice it happen???

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
When someone loses everything they lose it (comes to mind)... But I can not think of a more horrible way to die or suffer !

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

[SNIP]
How is setting oneself on fire on the mall not a troubling sign? If he had done it at home, it would be labeled a suicide and barely received a mention. He did it at the Mall. A clear sign of protest.

Was he mentally disturbed, I have no doubt about that.
edit on 10/4/2013 by kosmicjack because: removed off topic content

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

It sounds like we've had the same thoughts on this.

You know what would get the entire nation's attention (and NO and am NOT saying 'go out and try this' to anyone) but what I've seen of the Vietnam ones that spooked me to the core are the ones that didn't react or "dance down the mall" as some rather cold people are wording this. (I'll bet they'd "dance" too, if burning alive)

The ones so set, determined and focused ..and so show little or nothing? That would spook the nation to see, I believe. That would be a sight to shake these generations as much as I understand some of those back then did for that one.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Of course it's troubling. It's a terrible thing. Horrifying. That's my point
Adding "near the White House" is completely unnecessary and creates the impression that this occurred within sight of the White House. He was near the middle of the Mall.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

Self Immolation is not as uncommon as we would like to think.
Im sure he will regret his actions after he goes through tortuous skin grafts while hanging out in the burn treatment center. Although, he could just be delusional.

The mall IS a close walk to the White House too.
edit on 4-10-2013 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Hey OP... I have a question. While Phage can be a bit particular at times? (innocent smile) I clicked on the link to check?

Man Sets Himself On Fire Near To US Capitol

That is now the headline showing on your OP link. Is that what it was when you started this or did you change it from Capital to White House? It seems someone did...and if the media did? That's almost as interesting.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

The thing that gets me was the shock and awe that our news took to Mohamed Bouazizi and his self less act for his people. News agency all alike talked at end how great a sign of the times this is, how far society must come to have this happen. How things must change. It was called a wake up call.

Right now I'm monitoring twitter while at work and almost all news I see is trying to discredit this man whom ever he is, speculating on state of mind but by no means the same heartfelt empathy that was seen when the first such instance took place looking for change.

What I have seen is more apathy from the news more interested in what RX the guy was on the whys are top of the list as opposed to the "whys" of the clearly bigger overall picture in my mind.

Just my honest opinion, I also feel this is a big wake up call, open all our eyes is the only thing that comes to mind right now. We the people still have each other as did the arabs and all others struggling for change, change for the better.

Will this act today change anything who knows, what will the story be tomorrow we can only wait and see. If cause and effect are ever revealed I hope we get the full picture

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It's the timing of it all. Was the headline sensationalized? Of course. But I would bet my bottom dollar that the current situation within DC (Government-wise) that it is related to the shutdown.

Since both sides are not backing down, some people are starting to freak out.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Old headline

New headline

The headline was a copy and paste job but luckily im good with sniping things.

edit on 4/10/2013 by skuly because: adding pic

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join