It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are enough Republican crossover votes to pass a clean CR, Boehner won't allow the vote

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Damn the constitution?

Now very wise of you to ask that question.......

The Constitution was designed to prevent one party from becoming a dictatorship. Which is what you guys appear to want. It's called "checks and balances", you conveniently leave that part out to get your way...

There are many of us citizens whom see thru the two party dog and pony show, that want nothing more than to see ALL incumbents thrown the hell out and have term limits. If you want to say anything about the Constitution be careful what you wish for. There are many people out here like me that would love nothing more than see our country go back to our founding principles and get rid of the corruption we see as the two party system and end this endless bickering between you folks, whom for some odd reason, find pride in supporting them......

Those like me, whom see no representation what so ever in how our country is being destroyed from within. We are forced to watch in shame as you "believers" in the two party system destroy everything....
edit on 4-10-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-10-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Agreed!!

When more people open their eyes they will see this is on both parties and not just one.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Indigo5

I was unaware that all Americans were for Obamacare.

My bad.

This must be some rogue group of pols that have infiltrated the government because all Americans just lo-ove! Obamacare.

Pity Tom Clancy is dead, it'd make a good book.

(rolling eyes)

I don't think it's so much that all Americans love the ACA , but recent polls suggest the majority of Americans just want Congress to leave it alone and try to make it work, rather than kill it at this point.

The most recent New York Times/CBS News Poll, released last week, found that even though more Americans disapproved of the health care law over all, a majority said they would like to see Congress uphold the law and make it work as well as possible (56 percent), rather than stop the law by defunding it (38 percent).

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Maybe Boehner is giving Harry Reid a dose of his own medicine.

Reid does this all the time. In fact, he's been doing it lately.

Hmmm.

And it makes sense the Left side would attempt to blame the other side for what they themselves are guilty.

Have these 18 republicans held a news conference yet ?

ADDED:
I guess they have......all on Twitter, the new way to pass legislation !!!!

edit on Oct-04-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It's a heck of a thing to see here....how Boehner is ending his career. He had a long and distinguished one, too.

I have to say though, in listening to even Political Science instructors here recently saying it needs to be EVERY incumbent out this next election? (and Poli-Sci teachers may not indicate party...but they *ALL* have one, I believe, and strongly too... Good ones just don't make that the lesson for a course) Well, Boehner didn't just end his own career....the damn fool may have ended a large % of others as well. I sure hope the Left side of the citizens honestly DOES feel as strongly as they SAY they do about no incumbents.

Otherwise.... Boehner may have insured this is a one sided rout rather than a true flip for change over the next couple elections. People are pissed enough and for too many reasons. It has to happen ....

The others are realizing that political grandstanding on the ACA isn't worth this. It's not worth just running the nation into the gutter, when the Big Kahuna has already said he'll back door deal away the Debt Ceiling ...so even those who believe in that, can't play like this will lead to real change anymore.

It's just grandstanding with real people's lives at this point. Can they impeach a Speaker?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

seeker1963
reply to post by Indigo5

Damn the constitution?

Now very wise of you to ask that question.......

The Constitution was designed to prevent one party from becoming a dictatorship. Which is what you guys appear to want. It's called "checks and balances", you conveniently leave that part out to get your way...

Legislative Branch

A year plus of open debate..

An open vote in The House of Representatives..

An Open Vote in the Senate..

It Passed!

43 times the GOP tried through legislative means to repeal it. 43 times they Failed.

Executive Branch

The President signed it into law.

He was elected twice with the law as a centerpiece of his platform.

Judicial Branch

Upheld the law..

WHAT ARE YOU MISSING?
edit on 4-10-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

TheNewRevolution
Why should he?

Why in the blue hell should Boehner compromise on his stance, that has already been compromised on 4 different times, when the Democrats and the Senate refuse to budge even an INCH?

1) Because every day he doesnt the USA is at greater risk of going back into recession and if the USA does so could the rest of the world.
2) If the USA goes back into recession then more AMERICAN jobs vannish. Less jobs = more welfare !
3) If its not sorted by 17th and the USA defaults on debt you dont just get a recession you will get a depression.
4) The govemnet shut down is only hurting the adverage American. Boehner, obama and all the other scum still get there big fat paychecks and will retire with millions even if the USA crashes and burns.

TheNewRevolution
Keep the government shut down. Non-essential means just that whether these people are working or not. If they are non-essential jobs then they shouldn't exist to begin with.

I suggest reading up on your economics. It not about jobs though if 800,000 find themselfs unemployed its going to be a pig for them to fin work. No itd down to confidence in the US doller.

TheNewRevolution
Lord Obama,
Fools.

Actually as someone pointed out Obama doesnt control spending. Thats congress. Its congress to blame. Both democrate and republican.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

The Supreme Court ruled the Affordable Healthcare Act, "A TAX", now remember how livid this administration was with that decision??? I wonder why? Maybe because that is something covered very well in the "Constitution"?

Like I said before, be very careful when you bring up the Constitution in a two party system argument. It appears that BOTH of these parties do very well, to avoid following it.....

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The Constitution was designed so the majority would rule. When you support a small group to rule over the majority like Boehner is doing then they are supporting the dictatorship.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

seeker1963
reply to post by Indigo5

The Supreme Court ruled the Affordable Healthcare Act, "A TAX",

I have seen this retort before...still don't get it? They could have ruled it many different things, but what they did...without dispute..is UPHOLD THE LAW. That's it...done..the rest is distraction, straw-men, BS.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

kaylaluv

beezzer
reply to post by Indigo5

I was unaware that all Americans were for Obamacare.

My bad.

This must be some rogue group of pols that have infiltrated the government because all Americans just lo-ove! Obamacare.

Pity Tom Clancy is dead, it'd make a good book.

(rolling eyes)

I don't think it's so much that all Americans love the ACA , but recent polls suggest the majority of Americans just want Congress to leave it alone and try to make it work, rather than kill it at this point.

The most recent New York Times/CBS News Poll, released last week, found that even though more Americans disapproved of the health care law over all, a majority said they would like to see Congress uphold the law and make it work as well as possible (56 percent), rather than stop the law by defunding it (38 percent).

www.nytimes.com...

Americans want healthcare reform, they want healthcare fixed.

Costs are too high, litigation is through the roof.

Yet instead of focusing on ways to reduce cost, Obamacare looks at different ways of paying for the high costs.

It's a bad plan. It'll bankrupt many businesses and average americans. If I took the plan, it'd cost me 12,831 dollars a year.

It sucks.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

If the majority rules then why do we have so many laws protecting minority groups?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This shutdown affects me drastically in the short term. But the ACA will be catastrophic to me in the long term.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

The Constitution was designed so the majority would rule. When you support a small group to rule over the majority like Boehner is doing then they are supporting the dictatorship

Majority rules IS a Dictatorship!!

A democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting what is for dinner.

A Republic, protects the sheep.

When I get into a political debate, I ALWAYS go to the Constitution to see if my views are right or wrong. Unlike those whom base their beliefs on fraudulent political parties designed to create division........sigh

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

beezzer

Americans want healthcare reform, they want healthcare fixed.

Costs are too high, litigation is through the roof.

Yet instead of focusing on ways to reduce cost, Obamacare looks at different ways of paying for the high costs.

It's a bad plan. It'll bankrupt many businesses and average americans. If I took the plan, it'd cost me 12,831 dollars a year.

It sucks.

On Tuesday...the day the exchanges went online...BCBS, My carrier sent me an email inviting me to their own "exchange" to compare prices...I haven't gone to the State exchange yet to compare...but BCBS offered me a package equivalent to the one they currently give me (2 kids 2 adults)...same deductible, PPO etc...for 160 dollars LESS a month, 480 a quarter LESS almost 2K less per year...Get that? On the day the exchanges went online they OFFERED PROACTIVELY to reduce my costs by 2K per year. Think they are worried?

I think you are going to see a lot of propaganda meet reality in the coming year.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

thesaneone

If the majority rules then why do we have so many laws protecting minority groups?

Because those are civil rights issues. Segregation and discrimination are against the law in case you haven't forgotten.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Indigo5

I think you are going to see a lot of propaganda meet reality in the coming year.

I couldn't agree more.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

seeker1963

Majority rules IS a Dictatorship!!

A democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting what is for dinner.

A democracy is where the will of the majority rules, while the rights of the minority are protected...recognizing that the rights of the minority must always be protected because everyone might some day be the minority themselves etc.

Dictatorship is where the will of a minority is imposed on the majority and no rights are recognized apart from those in power.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

buster2010

The Constitution was designed so the majority would rule. When you support a small group to rule over the majority like Boehner is doing then they are supporting the dictatorship.

What small group are you referring to ?

The House has a Republican majority.

That majority represents the majority of the population.

It's constitutional.

The Congressional districts are generally equal by population.

House seats by party;
(711,000 average population per district)

232 (R) x 711000 population = 164,952,000 people
200 (D) x 711000 population = 142,200,000 people

Unless somebody can show me the actual population count for each district and sort by party ?

Data Tables here......

Maybe it's time to amend the Constitution and eliminate the House ? (Progressive agenda omg !!)

Currently there are 435 representatives divided among the 50 States. Each of these representatives is elected by the voters of a congressional district, defined as an area established by law for the election of representatives to the U.S. Congress. Each congressional district is to be as equal in population to all other congressional districts in the State as practicable, based on the decennial census counts. The number of congressional districts in each State may change after a decennial census. After the number of seats assigned to the individual States is determined (apportionment), the task of drawing the new congressional districts (redistricting) is generally given to each State legislature. Congressional district boundaries may be changed more than once during a decade.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The way I see it, the POTUS can't give in. The GOP is essentially holding the American people hostage, if it's allowed to be succesful it sets a precident and no future budget will ever pass without riders. Imagine if the Dems attached some gun control legislation to the budget bill... lol... I can hear the Fox News bobbleheads screaming bloody murder now....

Will someone please get Boehner a tissue?
...and some decent tanning cream.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join