It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetable Garden, Australia Help.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
got my garden in today.

Tomato's
Spinach
capsicum
ice berg lettuce
carrots
sweet corn

Will be getting a bail of hay tomorrow to cover it.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

amraks
got my garden in today.

Will be getting a bail of hay tomorrow to cover it.

STRAW!! Not hay!! Hay mats down and will create rot and can prevent seed from coming up not to mention plant grass seed on your beds. Straw is what you want.

I sounds like it will be a wonderful garden, enjoy!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Hey yes your right.

Pea Straw is what my granddad used to use.

I just call it Hay.
edit on 5/10/2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Hey again, I forgot to add last time. If you have room for a hothouse. Then I'd recommend getting one for over winter. Veggies grow much quicker in there through the winter. Also you can place your chilli plants in there so they don't die from the frosts. And it's a perfect place for your seeds and seedlings to mature before you put them in the ground. Meaning, you can start germinating them earlier and then move them into the hothouse for protection. I live in the footsteps of a mountain range in Vic, and we get pretty severe frosts here, which last to around now. So a greenhouse is very beneficial for me as I start all my seedlings early, start of end of winter/ start of spring. This is to get the most out of the plants with a long growing season, eggplants capsicums ect.

GORR

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Okay thank you for clearing that up I have access to well fed chicks, meat rabbits, and cow poo. However the horses near wear I live are pumped with preservatives I think so they wouldn't be as of good use.

What are other things I can add to a compost heap to help nutrients?

Tah

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Awesome so I plan on having a very high nutrient compost, using vegetable scraps, seaweed, a few different types of poo, also putting hand full of blood and bone through in every so often!

Thank you for clearing that up on the fish emulsion, what brand do you recommend?

Okay thanks so If I went out and bought a blueberry tree I would be right to plant my own around it right?

With the herbs I am pretty sure to begin with we are going to start a little green house, not a walk in one just a bed with a cover or something.

thanks bro

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Sounds really good man! Whereabouts are you located in Australia?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Thanks, that is something, I didn't know!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodOlRogerRing

Thanks we defiantly do have enough room for Green Houses, but we will probably wait until we get this season out of the way and a little more experience,

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kangajack

Yes, plant them close to each other but leave enough room around each of them to mature to full growth. Check each variety for mature size and plant accordingly.

My favorite is Alaska fish emulsion, the nutrient ratio is 5-1-1, they are a local company. I am sure you should be able to find something comparable in Australia. If not,you can always pick up a used crappy old blender and make your own. Fish is also great for the compost pile ( the only animal product that is) as long as you don't have any predators that might be attracted to it.
I started a fish pit myself this year. We harvest a lot of salmon over the course of 2 weeks every year, so we dug a pit about 4-5 feet deep and dumped the carcasses in. Ideally, by next year when I have more to add, this years will be dug out and used as compost. We will see how it works out.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

woodsmom

Yes, plant them close to each other but leave enough room around each of them to mature to full growth. Check each variety for mature size and plant accordingly.

My favorite is Alaska fish emulsion, the nutrient ratio is 5-1-1, they are a local company. I am sure you should be able to find something comparable in Australia. If not,you can always pick up a used crappy old blender and make your own. Fish is also great for the compost pile ( the only animal product that is) as long as you don't have any predators that might be attracted to it.
I started a fish pit myself this year. We harvest a lot of salmon over the course of 2 weeks every year, so we dug a pit about 4-5 feet deep and dumped the carcasses in. Ideally, by next year when I have more to add, this years will be dug out and used as compost. We will see how it works out.

Awesome!

Thank for that! Sounds like the fish pit will work wonders in my opinion, this is what we have came up with for compost,

We have a whole about 2 foot deep, with walls about 3 foot and a lid, covers a nice amount of space, based with sea weed at the moment and scraps of food as they come and chick poop as its there etc. hopefully we get a wonder mix happening

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

It sounds like you guys are off to a great start!
Having access to so any great materials and having the desire to get it going will work wonders.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Thanks for your in put brother, this thread has helped me a lot with new ideas and even just little things I never new,

I will b back to post some photos of different stages of the gardens etc.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
bump

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Good luck with your garden. Make sure you check around here for views on pesticides, presevatives, and the difference between fresh cow poo and yesterday's roo poo. Treat your plants like your children.
I know a bit about tomato varieties, i grew up in jersey...
When I am sitting there waiting for my tomatoes to grow, i research tomato genealogy and it explains alot.
Now I am into growing dwarf japanese maples and custom training bamboo.
I'd like to get into cross species hybrids via grafting, always have an unattainable goal.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

kangajack
reply to post by amraks

Sounds really good man! Whereabouts are you located in Australia?

Tassie can't you see the flag

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FryEvans

Yeah I defiantly know the difference between roo and cow poo, thanks!
Sounds good man!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by amraks

now i feel stupid haha

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

kangajack

Tah

Egg shells, kitchen scraps (not meat or anything fatty just veggies and fruit) Add worms if you don't already have them - and yes there are different worms for composting than what you would go fishing with.
You can buy them pretty cheep.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   

mrsdudara

kangajack

Tah

Egg shells, kitchen scraps (not meat or anything fatty just veggies and fruit) Add worms if you don't already have them - and yes there are different worms for composting than what you would go fishing with.
You can buy them pretty cheep.

thanks man, yeah we are going to build a worm farm too, what is the best way to do this, or are we just best off buying heaps of worms and just putting them in it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join