It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should gamers be accountable for in-game war crimes?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gestas

Thank you for clearing that up and stating the bleeding obvious! I am a former airman/soldier who has served in Northern Ireland and Oman.

Back then we didn't have computer games, we had booze. Some guys even had grass. But Yanks in Viet Nam had booze and hard drugs. We had our escapes and they had theirs.

Now I see my former comrades go out on patrol in Iraq and Afghanistan, engage in a fire fight with the jundies, come back safe and sound to patrol bases and about an hour or two later, they're playing 'shoot-em-ups' on play stations, iPads or whatever! It releases pent up emotions and tensions and is a great stress buster.

Are you suggesting that by playing these games they might, just might, flout the Law of Armed Conflict? Get off your high horse because these guys know all about the Law of Armed Conflict and abide by them daily, each time they pick up their Gat and put on their body armour and move out on patrol.

By the way, what do you do for a living?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

luxbaclos1

Now I see my former comrades go out on patrol in Iraq and Afghanistan, engage in a fire fight with the jundies, come back safe and sound to patrol bases and about an hour or two later, they're playing 'shoot-em-ups' on play stations, iPads or whatever! It releases pent up emotions and tensions and is a great stress buster.

And they prove to be the most troubling and hard to kill opponents.

I hate playing against army clans. They unleash their pent up anger on me, and I get angry, they laugh at me

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

And so they should!

Nice tag line by the way but the actual quote is:

"The pen is mightier than the sword - but, you try cutting some buggers head off with one!"

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...'s_Army

Nothing new under the sun. Video games are a good recruiting tool. They do wondrous things to a child's mind. Anyone want to see what the number one video game of the year is? How many war games are on the top 10? Everything goes by unnoticed until they need soldiers. Hell, I played that America's Army and they taught me S.P.O.R.T.S. to clear my weapon. They taught me how to breath while pulling a trigger! Oh they taught me that in the real army also.

Something is in the works and has been for quite some time. Something wicked this way comes. Be a good patriot and hang a yellow ribbon on your tree. Wave your flags and whistle Yankee Doodle Dandy. reaffirm the brainwashing and create good little soldiers, one's who see the world through a video-game! The education system is lowering standards yet no one sees any correlation between the machine and it's needs.

Hey, it is what it is. The best you can do is teach your child to think for themselves before they get thrown into a place where the thought process is thrust upon them. Oh how I used to love camping on the bridge map in America's Army! What's the recruiting office!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

This is a terrible idea, we want to have FUN and RELAX when playing games, no matter how immersive and realistic the game is, the intent is to have fun.

Trust me, ive been playing GTA online that past few weeks, and theyve got this system called 'good and bad sports', if you destroy someones car, you get a warning that youre behaving like a bad sport, then if you do it a couple more times, you get a dunce cap put on your head, and are separated with other bad sports for DAYS on end...we are being punished for doing what GTA is all about, creating chaos, and leaving a trail of death and destruction.

Now tell me why i would want to be punished for T-bagging some annoying turd on BF4?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

Every sick twisted vile thing you can come up with can be expressed online! No lines that are sacred, no feeling in the expression. Simple unbridled hate! i finally know why all the game junkies are mad. They were forced into it. Yeah I'm having a great time beating hookers upside the head and stealing cars! Now some other jerk wants to tea bag me when I'm at my lowest! Noooooooooooooo! Rage!

I tried to find a wholesome game to play with the little ones and guess what? It's like 99 violent games vs 1 wholesome game. There's not much to choose from unless you're into bashing peoples heads in or shooting someone. If art imitates life we're in big f'n trouble.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

LOSTinAMERICA
reply to post by 8fl0z

Every sick twisted vile thing you can come up with can be expressed online! No lines that are sacred, no feeling in the expression. Simple unbridled hate! i finally know why all the game junkies are mad. They were forced into it. Yeah I'm having a great time beating hookers upside the head and stealing cars! Now some other jerk wants to tea bag me when I'm at my lowest! Noooooooooooooo! Rage!

I tried to find a wholesome game to play with the little ones and guess what? It's like 99 violent games vs 1 wholesome game. There's not much to choose from unless you're into bashing peoples heads in or shooting someone. If art imitates life we're in big f'n trouble.

want a wholesome game with limited killing?

try Wurm online, totally family friendly, only gotta kill pesky monsters that attack you on the road, or who wander onto your land.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LOSTinAMERICA

Sounds like you need a Wii or WiiU to game with the kids. Plenty of non shooters like Animal Crossing there.

As for the original topic, been a gamer my entire life and I for one would not even consider buying any game with this sort of moral retribution garbage in it. I burned out of FPS games long ago, but they are still enjoyable now and then. The freedom to do more or less what you want when you want is what has always drawn me to the GTA series of games. Games or not some people will always do irrational things, taking things away from others will never change that.
edit on 2-11-2013 by Candycab because: more info

edit on 2-11-2013 by Candycab because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
as a gamer now 14 and counting, games not age... UN should police them selves, they are not all that nor is any one that thinks a game is more than a game , form what i have seen, [online chat]everyone is sick in the head it is just a game grow up or do not play the game
edit on bAmerica/Chicagok201302 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Sometimes people really make me wonder if anyone ever really grows up.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join