It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it Time for Two America's?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I can equate it to pulling weeds. You can cut off all the leaves and tear the stem at the ground to get rid of the problem for a bit...or you can tear out the roots and solve the problem for a much longer time.

We've been trimming the leaves for about 60 years now, it's about time to pull the roots.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Naw. Two probably wouldn't be enough.

We don't even have two parties, where we should have at least 10 to truly represent the diversity of this nation and her people and to give us a real choice and a fighting chance.

Plus I dread the thought of moving again. Ha.

ETA: Term limits are more than possible at the state level. Won't ever happen at the national level. Problem here is, they keep us so divided and so busy bickering about BS non-issues that we don't figure this out or act. Clever they.
edit on 10/4/2013 by ~Lucidity because: To add...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
i think this is the thinking behind 50 states.... the feds have too much sway..

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

~Lucidity
Naw. Two probably wouldn't be enough.

uggghhh
i think this is the thinking behind 50 states.... the feds have too much sway..

That's seeming to be the general gist of what I getting here. We should go back to 50 separate states and let folks move to where their beliefs are upheld.

I still think we need a small federal government to oversee things like the military. Maybe they could also start watching over the intelligence groups as well.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I don't think it's time for two Americas. Rather than one country that doesn't know what it wants, that just leaves us with two ideologically rigid countries each controlled by one party. We would be trading a dysfunctional democracy for two dictatorships.

What we need right now is less influence from the two parties. The truth of the matter is, most people just blindly support one team, much like a game of sports. If the Democrats come up with a plan, those who feel aligned with the Democrats support it. They don't study the issue, come up with a solution, and support whoever best represents that solution. Instead they just pick a side. That's what political parties are for, they do the thinking for you. Big tent parties that are all encompassing such as what we have now means no one thinks, they just pick a side. I'm part of that x% in the middle that doesn't align with either party, the thought of voting for either of them makes me feel physically ill. Maybe that's why I can understand the feelings of both sides, I want as little to do with them as they want to do with each other.

We need to lessen that as a nation. That means the media either needs to stop supporting parties. This is easy enough to do, just eliminate -R, -D, Republician, Democrat, Liberal, and Conservative from the shows. 2 letters and 4 words. Those are what's dividing us. Remove the incessant need to back a team and most people agree, there's always some disagreement but it's at a level where people can work with each other.

If we don't start working with each other again, one day it's going to be a bloodbath. The conservatives vs the liberals in armed conflict. I don't think any of us want that.

prisoneronashipoffools
Stuff

States rights aren't the ultimate solution. I think they're part of it, but the modern world simply demands some level of federal oversight. For example we need an FDA to ensure medicines and foods made in Alabama are safe for those in Oregon. I'm in favor of states rights on a lot of things, but I think there has to be a limit to their power. A partnership of what is essentially 50 countries with widely different political beliefs is inherently more fragile than one with a united federal government. You could almost say having a strong federal government is simply fulfilling the need for common defense. Remember what happened to the Articles of Confederation. We tried that concept once before and it didn't work out too well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join