It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans Say Boehner Has Offered Assurances on Default

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — With a budget deal still elusive and a deadline approaching on raising the debt ceiling, Speaker John A. Boehner has told colleagues that he is determined to prevent a federal default and is willing to pass a measure through a combination of Republican and Democratic votes, according to one House Republican.

The lawmaker, who spoke on the condition of not being named, said Mr. Boehner indicated he would be willing to violate the so-called Hastert rule if necessary to pass a debt limit increase. The informal rule refers to a policy of not bringing to the floor any measure that does not have a majority of Republican votes.

The New York Times

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

So this looks like Boehner is willing to break party lines (somewhat) in order to avoid a default. More live updates here:

Slate

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This one sucks to be right about ...but see? They have absolutely no intention of going all the way. So it's pain for us and near amusement for them. Red and Blue them, together.

They suffer not 1 tiny little bit personally in this. This excitement and chaos at the capital today is the most disruption these days will really have cost them and it's unrelated.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Interesting how he is using the Hastert rule against his own party members here as opposed to how it was apparently initially used. Basically Boehner is saying he would rather side with the minority party (dems) than the members of his own (tea party.)

Never thought I'd say this but I agree with him on this one. We cannot allow a sovereign default for the US.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Honestly, it's a given he would do this. Let me explain.....

Just look at the 17 trillion dollars of debt. People are so asleep they don't realize that the taxes they are paying are doing nothing more than paying a late penalty on "THE INTEREST" of that 17 trillion dollars.

This is nothing more than a charade, a WWF wrestling match. If people would just realize that they are a captive audience due to that fact they refuse to believe our politicians are incapable of doing ANYTHING to get us out of this financial flustercluck and doing nothing more than dragging out the inevitable we are doomed!

Why can't Washington do what Iceland did???? Well, let me tell you why. For our politicians to actually do the right thing and tell the truth, would mean they would be admitting to knowing about the fraudulent Federal Reserve Bank and it's fake currency, and chose to sit on their sold out souls. They KNOW what we would do to them if the truth came out! So with that being said, Why do we keep putting our faith in them to do something they created or at least enabled the fraud against our country to continue???? For anyone in Washington to tell the truth about our financial system is purely suicide.....

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

You're exactly right and precisely why I'm rock solid confident this won't accomplish a thing. The only thing that would, also would mean the equivalent of their resignations offered to the public on the day they stopped playing games. It'd have to be sincere too...because most, if not all, would be taken if offered. If they came clean...most would be demanded if not offered.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The situation i dont think is entirly lost.

The debt was worse after WW2.

But this probably has to be the point you stop any new spending and cut the fat off.

Imo you would risk more than you gain by defualting and maybe kill alot of people.

Bestto stick it out another 10 years. If things havent improved then press restart, plus that way other country have more time to brace themselfs.
Eg UK is just starting to do quite well if the usa goes bang now we go down with them. In 10 years time if the usa goes bang it will just put us where we were 2008 not destroy us.

Theres no reason the us has to go down just yet or if it does eventualy then no reason to take the world down with it

top topics

join