It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How a bill becomes a law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Seems many people today do not understand this. So here you go:

Now, whats my point? My point is, like it or not (and I tend to fall to the latter), Obamacare has gone through this process. It has been challenged at every turn. It has been taken to the Supreme Court. And its stood up.

All the whining and 'take my ball and go home' rhetoric that is being played out there cannot change the way our country has run since its inception.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Still doesn't make it right or good for the people.

We have no say, anymore.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
When you have one law for the rulers and another law for the ruled you can rest assured that it is a bad law.

Even when it was proposed that the law applied to congress, the senate rejected it and called it a "poison pill".

It is absurd that a law can be passed when even the most liberal of states say they don't want it.

But - all of you who trump that it will be the best ever will discover that it is not.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Cute.

I think both political parties are filled with morons, and that ACA is ONE mediocre option out of infinite possibilities for universal healthcare, so I'm happy to see the government shut down over it. Really shows what a big joke it all is. Such silliness.

I hope October 17th comes, we default, and then get started on something new. This endless recycling of dept has to be stopped. Surely after a default the masses would be ready to throw the politicians out and start anew. Will it be better? Probably not. But we'll never know until we try.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

DeanWormer
Still doesn't make it right or good for the people.

We have no say, anymore.
Fine and dandy. Doesnt mean that whining will change it.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

MentorsRiddle
When you have one law for the rulers and another law for the ruled you can rest assured that it is a bad law.

Even when it was proposed that the law applied to congress, the senate rejected it and called it a "poison pill".

It is absurd that a law can be passed when even the most liberal of states say they don't want it.

But - all of you who trump that it will be the best ever will discover that it is not.

1)I agree, it is a bad law. Doesnt change the fact that it went through the process and became a law.

2)But it DID pass, meaning the people elected to represent those states voted for it.

3)"All of you"? As I said in the OP, I dont think it is a good law. That is not the point.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

captaintyinknotsNow, whats my point? My point is, like it or not (and I tend to fall to the latter), Obamacare has gone through this process. It has been challenged at every turn. It has been taken to the Supreme Court. And its stood up.

We need to find out if the bill was written by self serving parties.

Find out who suggested it
Who drafted it
Who benifits most from it.

If it was written as a means to an end then it should be overturned.

edit on 3-10-2013 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

So your point is that the people should just accept crappy laws, shut up and go home?

While it may have become a law through due process in accordance with the Constitution, that does not make the law itself Constitutional.

When we have a corrupt system that appoints their own "independent" checks and balances (Supreme Court Justices) we get corrupt laws.

The people need to do their civic duty and become well informed about who they are electing into office so as to avoid situations such as this. But, that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

So your point is that the people should just accept crappy laws, shut up and go home?

I dont recall saying any such thing. My point is that to get a law changed, it has to be done through the proper procedures.

While it may have become a law through due process in accordance with the Constitution, that does not make the law itself Constitutional.
The supreme court stated that it is.

When we have a corrupt system that appoints their own "independent" checks and balances (Supreme Court Justices) we get corrupt laws.
I dont disagree. So the question is, how do you change that?

The people need to do their civic duty and become well informed about who they are electing into office so as to avoid situations such as this. But, that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

And this gets closer to my overall point. People HAVE to remember this stuff when electing their reps. People HAVE to kick the bums out. People HAVE to go through the correct channels to fix the problem. Whining solves nothing and only serves to distract.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

captaintyinknots

MentorsRiddle

1)I agree, it is a bad law. Doesnt change the fact that it went through the process and became a law.

2)But it DID pass, meaning the people elected to represent those states voted for it.

3)"All of you"? As I said in the OP, I dont think it is a good law. That is not the point.

Captaintyinknots, I was not suggesting that you personally agreed with the law. I was writing that for the general readers who agreed with the law.

Please don't take offence.

I agree - it is a law. But, clearly, the representatives did not do a good job in voting and just went with their party.

This is a historic time in American history.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

MentorsRiddle

Captaintyinknots, I was not suggesting that you personally agreed with the law. I was writing that for the general readers who agreed with the law.

Please don't take offence.

I agree - it is a law. But, clearly, the representatives did not do a good job in voting and just went with their party.

This is a historic time in American history.
Fair enough, sorry about the reaction, I just get tired of getting lumped in with obama supporters when I try to approach things from a logic standpoint, not a political one. I didnt vote for obama, I didnt want him, and I think he is an utter disaster.

I agree, the reps did a poor job-and that is my point. We need to clean house.

Remember, whether its fair or not, we are playing their game, with their rules, with their ball, in their stadium. We have to play a perfect game to win.

new topics

top topics

join