It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you do not allow us to raise the debt ceiling you will not get your SS check says Obama

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

Either you lack the attention span to read a few paragraphs or you are ignoring the point I made.

According to existing law, SS payments and debt servicing are required to have priority funding. Only by (ab)using his executive power can Obama withhold Social Security checks. Only by his order could the US actually default on our debt.

If that is the outcome, it will be a result of direct orders from the President.

As to closing the parks - obviously Park Rangers are non-essential personnel and will be told not to come to work. The closing of an open air, free access public park that requires little or no day-to-day maintenance is entirely different. It costs more money to send folks out to close them than it would to do nothing and leave them open. One can argue that bureaucracy is to blame in such cases, but to me it certainly looks like an effort to make the shut down as painful as possible for Americans.

From reading your other posts on the matter, I can see that you pretend to know a great deal more than you really do. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and call it youthful ignorance. Politics is muddled with misinformation, it combines several "behavioral sciences," and it takes years to really begin to comprehend. In my case, I passed through several tiers of understanding, each time thinking that I had it all figured out. I am still watching, still learning, and I question everything.
edit on 4-10-2013 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
America doesn't have to default if the debt ceiling isn't raised. There is enough revenue from taxes to pay for interest repayments if they were considered an essential expense and they would be if the US wanted to keep a good credit rating and avoid the other consequences of default. Only $246 Billion of the $3800 Billion budget is interest repayments. My guess is military, foreign aid and programs like that would get cut long before the US decided not to pay interest on it's loans.

The US takes in about $2.9 trillion in receipts and out of the $3.8 trillion spent about $2.3 trillion is mandatory spending. Though there is a lot of discretionary spending you wouldn't want to cut if you absolutely didn't have to. If it happened it would be a real government shut down but default could and would be avoided.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4-10-2013 by Strakha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Obama threatened Congress to raise the debt ceiling last year so soon we forget. He is a bully. He is also not the messenger by any means. He is the POTUS. He is the one that was elected by those who thought he was the most transparent. Remember this speech....this is honestly one of the worst examples of not following through in the history of our country....

Promises...no more secrecy...for the people....only after me and my friends spend every last dime. 5 days to look online at all bills..(just vote and send it through....).
edit on 10pm31pmfu2013-10-04T17:43:34-05:000534 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

this is absolutely insane....social security is supposed to be a separately managed trust fund, outside of the governments general operating budget....this is them trying to avoid having to tell the people that they've looted the s**t out of the social security trust fund, to pay for things it wasn't intended to pay for..

this is the board of directors, trying to get out of admitting that they've embezzled tons of money....and they're literally banking on the public being too stupid, uninformed, or apathetic to understand, or want to understand how the system is supposed to work... if everyone knew how the system is supposed to work, their crimes would become very apparent, very quickly..

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheNewRevolution

I agree 100%. Unless the big money and excessive benefits are taken OUT of politics, the corruption will never stop.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenMindedRealist

According to existing law, SS payments and debt servicing are required to have priority funding.

Really?

Please link to those current laws that say such a thing.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

Exactly. In 2011 The trustees of the SSA stated that they were going to run out of money but it was promised that based on interest it would survive. Problem is there is no SSA account hoding monies. The so called 'trust fund' of SSA money is simply Treasury bonds and securities backed "by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government". Well, the government cannot pay the bills and has no credit so..what happens some ask?

The government has borrowed nearly $2.7 trillion as of 2011 from the 'trust fund' and used the money for other purposes. Other purposes. Spending money that is not really 'there' .

The whole point is that the US government has to stop borrowing....and they have not.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Don't people realize that eventually everything is going to come crashing down? The money has been spent already, there isn't any more. Borrowing trillions upon trillions is only going to make things worse in the long run.

Don't raise the debt ceiling, let the illusion collapse already.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

It was supposed but congress got their hands on it during the Clinton era and now the surplus is just no there, its been raided by congress.

The truth is that in prior years, Social Security taxes collected from workers added up to more than the amount of benefits paid to retirees. This buildup of surplus was intentional -- the government wanted to build a reserve that would cover the benefits of the baby boomers. This surplus has been invested in special U.S. government bonds that are legally obligated to pay the stated rate of interest, and then repay the principal when they mature, according to the terms of the bonds.

These special bonds are just part of the funding of the overall federal government, and the assets in the Social Security trust fund represent about 15 percent of the government's total debt. This process has taken place in full view of anybody who cared to learn about it. There have been no smoke-filled rooms where politicians sat around divvying up the earmarked money in the Social Security trust to finance their pet projects. So did Congress spend our Social Security taxes? Of course. They spent this money on all the various operations of the federal government, with a large chunk going to pay for Social Security benefits, Medicare and the military. Some people get worked up when they hear about the obscure projects that they deem to be worthless, but such spending represents a tiny fraction of the overall federal budget.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

Yes really, While Obama is been scaremongering people that they would not get their SS checks and then Harry Reid Following Obama like lap dog on the lies, this no truth. The SS administration have the legal authority to send checks in a shutdown.

I am becoming really amazed at the pony show the administration is doing with scaremongering.

Social Security is safe in a federal shutdown,

During the last major shutdown, which lasted about a month starting in late 1995, the Social Security Administration mailed checks throughout the crisis, and a close reading of established law makes clear the agency has the legal authority to do so again.

"I am absolutely sure the checks would be sent out," said John F. Cooney, a partner at law firm Venable who designed shutdown plans for the government while employed at the Office of Management and Budget.

Robert Reischauer, president of the Urban Institute and a trustee of the Social Security and Medicare trust funds, backed that view, saying claims that benefits won't be paid are "not true."

The legal case is pretty clear. In 1995, President Clinton's lawyers in the Department of Justice laid out how federal agencies should operate if

money.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

The debt ceiling will be raised the pony show will end next week. Nothing to worry about, US has never defaulted in his debt.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
You are being very hypocritical. I am assuming you support the republicans decision to shut down the government, essentially holding the US public hostage along with the government, yet Obama THREATENS the same type of action, and he hasn't done it either, you want to throw a fit? Like I said, hypocritical. This is the third time the republicans have used this exact same strategy over the years, and it is essentially terrorism.

Obama told Congress to bring it to a vote, but guess what, the republicans refuse. Why? Why not do it the democratic way? So don't complain about the democrats, who are nowhere near as bad as the republicans in terms of doing the right thing. The dems have always tended towards morals, at least moreso than the republicans, who CLAIM they possess higher morals, yet clearly do not by their actions. Just look at Bush's 8 years in office. And republicans want to cry about Obama? The dems could have really thrown a fit over Bush's policies, but they didn't. And even if there was a little uproar, it was nowhere near the republican strategy of SHUTTING DOWN THE GOVERNMENT. Some of you people have no moral barometer, and no common sense I am starting to think.
edit on 10/4/13 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Sorry to burs the bubble but the only one that do not want a compromised and neither a negotiation is the administration as per Live TV on C-SPAN 2 of the debate about the shutdown, I encourage you to see it.

Obama administration wants 100% of what they are arguing for or they will keep the government on shutdown.

No even emergency bills has been allowed by the administration, to me that means they are full of crap and they don't give two rat arses about the people and their needs.

Obama refuses to compromise...no end in sight to shutdown

Majority Leader Eric Cantor said Thursday the House would continue on its course of passing separate bills to remedy "situations that are in critical stages" because of the partial government shutdown that began Tuesday.

Democrats rejected that approach, accusing Republicans of hand-picking favorites while more than a third of government employees are on furlough and numerous services that Americans depend on are suspended.

Senate Democrats, like Obama, said the House must send them a measure that would restart all of government with no strings attached.

www.onenewsnow.com...-M8
edit on 4-10-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

it's only borrowing, if you intend to pay it back....

they drained the acct a long time ago, and have been floating the future of the recipients on empty promises, and fake money.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

JiggyPotamus
You are being very hypocritical. I am assuming you support the republicans decision to shut down the government, essentially holding the US public hostage along with the government, yet Obama THREATENS the same type of action, and he hasn't done it either, you want to throw a fit? Like I said, hypocritical. This is the third time the republicans have used this exact same strategy over the years, and it is essentially terrorism.

Obama told Congress to bring it to a vote, but guess what, the republicans refuse. Why? Why not do it the democratic way? So don't complain about the democrats, who are nowhere near as bad as the republicans in terms of doing the right thing. The dems have always tended towards morals, at least moreso than the republicans, who CLAIM they possess higher morals, yet clearly do not by their actions. Just look at Bush's 8 years in office. And republicans want to cry about Obama? The dems could have really thrown a fit over Bush's policies, but they didn't. And even if there was a little uproar, it was nowhere near the republican strategy of SHUTTING DOWN THE GOVERNMENT. Some of you people have no moral barometer, and no common sense I am starting to think.
edit on 10/4/13 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

the american public is being held hostage? honestly, stop the dramatic rhetoric.

i don't feel like a hostage because the federal government sent people home for a while...do you?

i don't belong to any political parties, because i think they're silly...but i agree with the republicans, in their strong opposition to obamacare...

you talk about morality......explain to me the morality of supporting a piece of legislation they never bothered to read...to support legislation that is ultimately harmful to the american people.....

explain to me the morality of FORCING people to buy a product they may not want or need, from vendors they approve, and then forcibly TAKING their money, if they refuse.....explain to me how that is anything even approaching moral and decent....

the government is shut down because unreasonable, greedy people want more of our money.....that's all it is.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I think Harry Reid should stand by his guns.

He should stand by his arguments against raising the debt ceiling....

He said it's not fair to raise the debt for our grandchildren...

He said we need to reduce debt, not increase it !!!!

" Harry Reid in '06: Raising debt limit last thing we should do, will weaken country, hurt economy "

You were Right Harry...

What Changed Your Mind ?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

He is nothing but a lap dog to Obama, what Obama wants he got fetch it, I guess somebody needs to send him that link but remember he can claim to be senile and with early stages of Alzheimer's.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

IT HAS BECOME TIME TO RECOMMEND EVERYONE GO ONLINE AND DOWNLOAD WILLIAM COOPER'S BOOK,
"BEHOLD THE PALE HORSE" ....IT CAN BE DOWNLOADED AS A "VOICE BOOK" OR A PDF FILE....

I PERSONALLY CONFIRMED ALL OF HIS FACTS AS TO PRESIDENTIAL EXECUTIVE ORDERS... DECLARATION OF EMERGENCIES AND THEIR IMPACT... FEMA'S EMERGENCY POWERS AND ONCE ENVOLKED THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO BE REVERSED.

IT SHOULD BE REQUIRED READING TO FULL UNDERSTAND WHERE WE ARE TODAY AND WHERE THIS IS HEADING.

I WROTE EARLIER REGARDING THE SOCIAL SECURITY ISSUE BUT I WAS IGNORANT AS TO THE FULL SITUATION THAT HAS BEEN SET UP BY THE POLITICIANS SINCE 1964...

THIS IS MUST READ. I MEAN REALLY MUST READING.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

marg6043
reply to post by xuenchen

He is nothing but a lap dog to Obama, what Obama wants he got fetch it, I guess somebody needs to send him that link but remember he can claim to be senile and with early stages of Alzheimer's.

[ check ]

I already emailed it to his office in Watchington !!!

AND, I cc to Boehner too

But I used the bcc to the White House

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The capital always reminded me of Rome. Statues of presidents like statues of Gods, pillars of stone on large grassy knolls. People sacrificing themselves to appease their emperor.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join