It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you do not allow us to raise the debt ceiling you will not get your SS check says Obama

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The POTUS is trying to scare the old now into allowing this to pass and passing the blame...again...

They tell us that the IRS will not be sending out returns to late filers. Now, in another threat, the POTUS himself stated the following...

"In a government shutdown, Social Security checks still go out on time. In an economic shutdown — if we don't raise the debt ceiling — they don't go out on time," Obama said. "In a government shutdown, disability benefits still arrive on time. In an economic shutdown, they don't."

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

At the same time, he says he will not negotiate and wants what he wants. He is still blaming Congress and taking NO responsibility. This is unprecedented fear mongering from a POTUS against our own citizens.

The United States has never defaulted on its obligations, and the U.S. dollar and Treasury securities are at the center of the international financial system," the report said.

"A default would be unprecedented and has the potential to be catastrophic: credit markets could freeze, the value of the dollar could plummet, U.S. interest rates could skyrocket, the negative spillovers could reverberate around the world, and there might be a financial crisis and recession that could echo the events of 2008 or worse."

The Treasury says that the debt ceiling needs to be raised by Oct. 17 to avoid potential default on some U.S. obligations. After that date, the Treasury would have only approximately $30 billion to meet all of its commitments. On some days, expenditures can go as high as $60 billion.

Obama says that he won't negotiate over raising the debt ceiling, calling it Congress' responsibility. House Republicans, meanwhile, have looked to extract some kind of concession out of Obama in exchange for a debt-ceiling hike.

This has gone from telling America the "Tea Party" is stopping the government to now saying they are not going to get Seniors the checks that they worked their whole life for.

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

"If you don't give us the money, we will kill this bunny rabbit on children's television"

-unknown

I think that is just a hop, skip and a jump away from the rhetoric we should expect.
edit on 3-10-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I kinda figured all that talk in December when the last deal had been struck to avert disaster was just that. Talk...and nothing more. That was supposed to be the 'Okay....we'll tax this time but cut next time' deal.

Yeah... Uh-Huh.... Did anyone actually believe that horse puckey at the time?

Another promise delivered ....right off the cliff of propaganda.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I don't think he has a choice in this matter, he is explaining the consequences of defaulting on our debt so people understand. There is nothing he could do to make the social security or disability checks arrive if we do default.

But notice that he is warning of an economic shutdown, of people not getting disability or social security checks, and others being out of work from the government shutdown at the same time.

If this goes through, it is definitely a problem, like you should go buy extra food early. As in for real.
edit on 3-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I get the gist of what he's saying there. Right now, SS checks are still going out, they're covered. If we hit the debt ceiling on the 17th, fin, there's no more bogus money for diddly squat. It's pretty simple to grasp in plain English.

I don't care what bills they put forth, what promises any party can make, I don't see a way around hitting the ceiling. This country has turned into a manic woman on Rodeo Drive with every credit card she could get her hands on. She maxed them out, and now there's nothing left for more impulse buying. Worse yet, there's not a dime left anywhere in sight to pay OFF those purchases at all. That's what the US has become. We're fricking BROKE. BROKE. We have more bills than we can pay in this country. We've lived beyond our means and now we're going to literally & figuratively start paying for that immature mistake. We can't ponzi scheme it through the year any more, the debt collectors are going to start collecting their payments one way or the other, and no begging or pleading or promising is going to stop that. Raising the debt ceiling is literally just putting a band-aid on the severed vein. Eventually, you'll bleed out half-assing it like that.
edit on 10/3/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
If you dont raise the debt ceiling you defualt on your debt and your doller will collaspe to the value of belly button fluff.

In case some of you numb skulls dont understand.

Before this shutdown started the US econemy was growing which = more jobs.

If you country econemy implodes which it will on it present course that will = no jobs.

If you default on the 17th in 5 years time you will all be sitiing in cardboard boxed dresseing in rags begging the few (most likley 1% ers) with jobs for scraps of food. But hey least you stuck it to Obama! Loseing your job, home and most likley health is so worth it! O wait no you didnt stick it to anyone cause while you are living in the gutter, obama and all the other politicians will be living in there mansions laughing with the other 1% ers.

Hell even if the worse doesnt happen and you pay your debts by the 17th this shutdown has most likley shaved 0.7-1% off your growth. Thats a few hundred thousand American jobs that just went POOF! Infact while you speak every secoun a American job will be vannishing.
And I though you wanted people off welfare?
Great logic! Destroy jobs to get more off welfare

It funny I can really gauge who the smart Americans are who the dumb ones are on ATS this week. Those supporting the shutdown= dumb!
edit on 3-10-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

darkbake

If this goes through, it is definitely a problem, like you should go buy extra food early. As in for real.

That wont be enough. I would start either fortifying your home so the banks dont steal it when you lose your job or just buy a mobile home and live off the grid.

If the USA defaults you will have the great depression the sequal. You will be looking at 20%+ unemployment at least.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
If you don't own a gun, this might be a good time to purchase one.

If they cut off all of the entitlement checks, you may very well need one to protect yourself.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I've been saying it for a while...

ATS members may care, but most people don't. Most people are to busy with just trying to get by to care about any of these issues.

HOWEVER -- when it starts impacting their lifestyle and their pocketbook, you better believe people will "wake up" and start to care.

It's sad and unfortunate that's what it takes -- but it's the cold hard truth.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Oh my little Ewok friend... It takes an Englishman to explain what should be common sense to Americans. What a sad state of affairs we've reached, eh?

Of course, this debate is very valid ......before the deadline has come and gone. You're right though. We're already into Failure here and the chat about how to fix what caused it isn't important in the middle of it.

Kinda like seeing your house burn down. Do you grab a hose or do you call your attorney to sue someone while watching it happen?

I think putting the fire out comes before solving root cause. Yes.. Indeed.. Any time now, in fact. Right?

This must look pathetic from overseas.
edit on 3-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Is it me or did Obama just threaten the largest section of registered voters in the USA?

IS HE STUPID?

Don't answer that.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Why do I have a feeling this is all planned out ? What we're seeing is a cover-up for the real story.

Obama got hammered on Syria and didnt get his way... Well... Bush/Obama and friends. I think the story goes something like this...

Sadam Hussein was able to scare the hell out of the power elite and the Petro Dollar 2001: President George Bush II waited for Dick Cheney to orchestrate the attack on the World Trade Center and demolition of Building 7 before he took us to war with “terror”, which rightfully should have been called the “war to punish Saddam Hussein”. Saddam dared defy the US petrodollar system - See more at: www.contrarianism.net...

Source

In 2010 Muammar Gadaffi controlled the ninth largest oil reserves in the world when he attempted an ill-fated end-run around the U.S. Petrodollar cartel with the creation of an African currency called the Gold Dinar, which would be used for Libyan oil transactions. The U.S. responded by imposing a ‘No-Fly-Zone’ over the sovereign country and then overthrew Gadaffi. Not long after, he was captured then killed, and what do you know … exactly 2 weeks after his Gadaffi’s death the greenbacks were back in vogue and used for all oil Libyan transactions. - See more at: www.contrarianism.net...

Some feel that is why Bush/Obama is going after Syria so bad. The Middle East along w/ other powerful Countries have figured out how to bring this long running super-power down and they're trying hard.

What if this is the true reason and not Obama Care. It has nothing to do with that but everything to do with the petro-dollar and power!!??

.... And this is how the dollar will collapse...?

edit on 3-10-2013 by tracehd1 because: Add

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

crazyewok

darkbake

That wont be enough. I would start either fortifying your home so the banks dont steal it when you lose your job or just buy a mobile home and live off the grid.

If the USA defaults you will have the great depression the sequal. You will be looking at 20%+ unemployment at least.

Since I do not consider state and federal workers to be employed, we already have much higher than 20% unemployment. That doesn't even take into consideration the fact that so many of us do not participate in the data collection that those numbers are based on.

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
People are so uninformed on this issue it is pathetic.

Rand Paul puts it best at 2:50.

The debt ceiling not being raised =/= America automatically defaulting on their debt.

To summarize, the government makes enough money in tax revenue to pay out interest on debts AND keep programs like social security running in the meantime.

It is the choice of how we use our money as to if we default on our debt. Debt ceiling or not, it will come down to the choice by the Pres and Congress as to use our incoming funds to pay the debt, or to allow the dollar to plunge if we don't.

People are so falling into the trap of fear mongering by our own government that it is ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

greencmp
[
Since I do not consider state and federal workers to be employed, we already have much higher than 20% unemployment. That doesn't even take into consideration the fact that so many of us do not participate in the data collection that those numbers are based on.

Are you really that dense to miss the entire point?

America defaults = America collaspses

Either :
1) your so rich and have othshore bank acounts that a collaspe wont hurt
2) You own your own farm that been fully paid off.
3) You are complety ignorant on how economys work.

Hopefully your 1 or 2 cause if not and the USA defaults you will end up most likley loseing your job, home and all your saveing and end up like the unemployed in the 1930's, living in slums without any hope of a job.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

crazyewok

greencmp
[

Are you really that dense to miss the entire point?

America defaults = America collaspses

Either :
1) your so rich and have othshore bank acounts that a collaspe wont hurt
2) You own your own farm that been fully paid off.
3) You are complety ignorant on how economys work.

Hopefully your 1 or 2 cause if not and the USA defaults you will end up most likley loseing your job, home and all your saveing and end up like the unemployed in the 1930's, living in slums without any hope of a job.

America is already collapsed, it is just a matter of how fast the supernova travels when it's imagined fusion can no longer sustain itself against the gravity of reality.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
and we all know that the debt for the US has been holding for months...right? Kind of like not telling your wife and kids you lost your job and you are about to lose the house and the car and the big screen TV because you are too proud.

The US is broke and the news is trickling out...I feel that is why this does not feel like a typical shutdown.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Scare tactics!!! Got them??

I'm 31yrs old now, honestly with the way the state of the economy is. I don't expect there to be SS when I become of age... If the state of the economy hasn't already collapsed or whatever you want to say~

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
So when does Obama run out of enemies ?

I hope he's not getting any *Martial* ideas !!!

He is cracking. He is not stable.

We all need to watch out.

Time to get off the hope-ium and nanny-wana.

Time to fund the government with revenues only.

Screw the borrowing.

Obama must be the first president that actually gets away with these outlandish threats against the population.

Is anybody *getting it* yet ?

This is more dangerous than we think.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Dear Wrabbit2000,

You know I'm a huge fan of yours, so in the spirit of friendship I'd like you to consider another possibility.

I think putting the fire out comes before solving root cause. Yes.. Indeed.. Any time now, in fact. Right?

When a person has set fire to your house and is running down the street preparing to set fire to another one, the prudent person dispatches some to put out the fire and some to take the torch from the arsonist.

I would be happy to see a bill increasing the debt ceiling and reducing the spending in the various departments. That would reduce the pressure on the debt ceiling and "put out" the current fire.

If the House told the Senate, "Get rid of X, Y, and Z to prevent future problems and we will give you an umptyleben billion dollar increase in the debt ceiling," what could the Senate say that would seem reasonable? No? Could they say, "We want to spend more and more, which means we have to do this all over again next year?"

Just a thought from a Wrabbit admirer.

With respect,
Charles1952

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join