It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mapping the underworld: Cavers explore vertical ice cave high in Rockies. A must see story.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I wanted to share what I think is a little gem of a new discovery with you.

Bitten by a passion for the outdoors, and after studying a little dark spot on a mountain in Google Earth, a small team of expert cavers climbed the mountain to make the exciting discovery of a vertical ice cave called Booming Ice Chasm located on the BC-Alberta border, something that can only be explored for 3 months of the year.

This is really exciting and beautiful work. The cavers also work in cooperation with microbiological researchers who believe that since the last known discoveries of antibiotics was some time ago, cave soils could well hide some unknown forms of bacteria that would perhaps lead to discoveries of a new antibiotic that can fight antibiotic resistant MRSA for instance.

The full episode is only 19 minutes long, but is most interesting and wonder-full little film about their adventure and the early discovery of this magical, beautiful and dangerous cave system. It's tantalizing discovery of a second chamber made me want to yell for more.

There are 2 ways of viewing it. The first is to view the full story through reading the descriptions and watching a few short selective clips that try to do it justice, but I would recommend that you click on "watch the full episode" the last option at the top of the page for more polished continuity and much better sound.

Please enjoy and let me know what you think.

globalnews.ca...
edit on 3-10-2013 by aboutface because: typo

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Thanks for this. I love it when people see a spot on the Earth and decide to investigate it personally to see what it is.

In this case I wish I could access the movie more to assess it, and have a better idea of their expertise. In the photos I see, it doesn't make sense with the double walking sticks to help going uphill on a pretty safe flat path. Just my observation so far..

Thanks for this post though, I hope the discovery is awesome and the findings!

new topics

join