It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telescope selection

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   
ive got my 90 and its fine i was lookign for a refractor but im reading th aadd in Sky and Telescope now for december 2004 and it still has the option of geting UTHC but i could be wrong i duno i really could care less. even still it would be cheaper to buy and older one and ahve the optices upgraded to UTHC.
as for the true north stuff what astronomer doesnt know where north is off hand? if yo cant point your scope at polaris there is no point in s telerad finder there is too much LP to see anything

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
I can plug my laptop in and it sets itself completely on it's own using GPS, it's a 10'' Cassegrain and my sons, one is three, other is 14 months old, check out the night sky at least two or three times a month. My kids are young but both can recite to you the order of the planets in our solar system. I love my scope. I also bought the color CCD eye piece to plug in so I can view on my color TV or my laptop.

www.meade.com...

www.telescope.com...

nice, some one has some money to burn. But at least your burning it in the right places.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
First question that everyone missed is what do you want to do with it??

If you want a pretty view but don't care about a motor drive, you can get a massive Dobsonian and pretty cheap too or you can build your own. Yes, objects will drift but if the view is what you want, this is the place to go. Change the mirror mount and you could put the tube assembly on a drven mount if you want to upgrade. at some point

If you want to do CCD stuff, then a big Newtonian or Cass are the way to go, especially with all the new whiz bang computers. Size depends on where you want to do this. Backyard, backyard observatory, or remote sites � e.g. hauling it around�.

If you want to split doubles, or do high mag solar system stuff, then a good refractor is the way to go.

Also, you can actually rent time on some guys scopes over in New Mexico and sit at home and set up a night observation run and then be off sleeping. Last time I looked, the rates were reasonable and this is the wave of the future in my light polluted LA opinion. I think it was Sky Ranch or something like that.... Found like to the Robotic Telescope Rental guy - it's actually at New Mexico Skys telescope ranch - like below:

www.arnierosner.com...

[edit on 20-11-2004 by UofCinLA]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
i started to get to that by askign have you ever used a telescope before but i never got a response to that

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I know you guys might be somewhat upset especially cmdrkeenkid, but my brother talked me out of selling it. It's not all that important that I have something that can level itself, and point itself to true north. I can do that myself in under 5 minutes. Besides, they cost the same as my "old" one ($1200) and if I sold it for $800, I would lose four hundred in the process. It's way to much of a loss to pay for something like that.

Signatures are still up for grabs, though!

Keep in mind that if you buy from Meade, included will be a color CCD camera and software, and connecting cable. Plus it has automatic tracking (which, if you have a manual scope, is hell to keep on the target) and automatic GPS alignment.

So if you want to do CCD imaging, Meade the one is for you! And for the record, he specifically stated what he wanted from a telescope in his first post.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Have you decided yet? Curiosity got the better of me and I have to know which scope you want to get.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I am still thinking about it, however something has come up at home so the purchase will have to wait alittle longer

Thats OK, it just gives me more time to digest all the great feedback you all are giving me.

Anymore horror stories or regrets out there?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Notme - Just so you know Space.com just put out a Telescopes Buying Tips. So if you want some good info id suggest reading it.

Telescope buying tips

[edit on 27-11-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Ok NOT ME

answer my list of questions

1. Do you live near a city?

2. How often would you like to use this telescope?

3. whats more impotrant quality or price?

4.What kind of observind would you like to do? Planets, star clusters, deepsky objects, the moon, doubble stars, astermes, comets, constelations, name a few

5. would you like to be able to travle with this scope?

6 Do you even want a telescope, because Binoculars can provide a wealth of things to look at and especally right now with apogee's binocular offer ah im being sucked in..

7. do you have a observaing area near your house that you dont have to get in a car to go to?

8. whats more important compact-ability or sharp immages.? or a lil bit of both

9. How complicated do you want it to be? books and star charts? or computeriezed go- to.? Big bulky equlaterial mounts for tracking? or Smal and simple althizmuized mounts?

10 Will you give me 20$ for helping you?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Hey Mizar, ok here goes...

1. Do you live near a city?
Yes, 20 min from Philly

2. How often would you like to use this telescope?
Several time per week

3. whats more impotrant quality or price?
Quality

4.What kind of observind would you like to do? Planets, star clusters, deepsky objects, the moon, doubble stars, astermes, comets, constelations, name a few ....
Yes, all of the above

5. would you like to be able to travle with this scope?
Other than to get a better view, not really.

6 Do you even want a telescope, because Binoculars can provide a wealth of things to look at and especally right now with apogee's binocular offer ah im being sucked in..
Ok, how bout both. Although I don't think I can do digital images with a binocular (I think).

7. do you have a observaing area near your house that you dont have to get in a car to go to?
Yes

8. whats more important compact-ability or sharp immages.? or a lil bit of both
Sharp Images

9. How complicated do you want it to be? books and star charts? or computeriezed go- to.? Big bulky equlaterial mounts for tracking? or Smal and simple althizmuized mounts?
Complicated doesn't scare me

10 Will you give me 20$ for helping you?
Absolutly.... Check is in the mail

Murcielago,

Thanks for the link, good info.
But I was interested in any existing owner info like what to avoid,
for example, (I have the SuperXXXXX and it is great except the plastic nuts keep spiltiing)
or something like that.

[edit on 11/27/2004 by Notme]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
ok for what you are sayign i would sugest either a 5 inch refractor
or a
6-8 inch reflector

If your intrested in the refractor with out GO TO then go with this guy here..
www.telescope.com...

If you want a refractor with GOTO id sugest

shopping.discovery.com...

If refractors arent exactly what your looking for then here are the newtoinan reflectors id sugest.
www.telescope.com...

www.telescope.com...

www.telescope.com...

In my opinion these two are the best for you

www.telescope.com...

www.telescope.com...

and some non orion telescopes with go to

shopping.discovery.com...

and if you were intrested in that binocular offer i was talking about here you go im ordering a pair for christmas

apogeeinc.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join