It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia "not ready" to face alien threat.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Not quite sure what to make of this however, it is from the Independent in the UK which is fairly reliable in general and pretty reliable as Newspapers go. Hard to say whether the Russian assessment should simply be taken at face value or whether there's some kind of hint contained within it.

On top of the troubling news this week that the Twitter account of Nasa's Near-Earth Object Program, which monitors potentially hazardous asteroids and comets, isn't operational because of the US shutdown, today comes further worrying news from Russia regarding threats from space.

Russia’s Aerospace Defence Troops, or 'space troops' as they have become known, are not prepared for an alien invasion, a defence official has said.

Russia Today reported that during a press conference at the Titov Main Test and Space Systems Control Centre near Moscow, the centre’s deputy chief Sergey Berezhnoy was asked about extraterrestrial security.

“So far we are not capable of that. We are unfortunately not ready to fight extraterrestrial civilizations,” Berezhnoy replied.

“Our centre was not tasked with it. There are too many problems on Earth and near it,” he added.

The Russian Space Forces were established initially in August 10, 1992 after the break-up of the Soviet Union. It was replaced in 2011 by the Russian Aerospace Defence Forces. This branch of the Russian military is responsible for air and missile defence and the operation of military satellites.

One of its tasks is also "monitoring space objects and the identification of potential threats to the Russian Federation in space and from space, prevention of attacks as needed."

Russia Today reassures readers that despite the inability to defend the country against attacks from outer space the Russians do have "extremely effective and high tech means for dealing with terrestrial issues and threats.

Original article here. Independen t UK

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

tracking back to the original article: rt.com...

It looks like their primary function is anti missile/aircraft maybe satellite stuff, as well as space launches, and the context of the answer is that their role isn't to fight space aliens

edit on 3-10-2013 by InsertNameHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
That's funny. Who asked the question? And what makes him/her think the rest of the world are ready for alien invasion?

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

TerraLiga
That's funny. Who asked the question? And what makes him/her think the rest of the world are ready for alien invasion?

If you read the russia today article, you would find that they were asked by a journalist at a press conference. It is implied that the question was unexpected and out of context for whatever the press conference was about by labelling the journalist as being "aparrently serious".

There is no reference made as to whether or not the guy taking the questions has any opinion on rest of the world readiness in that capacity.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I don't believe any country would say they could take on an alien civilization and it's not because they can't.
If Russia was to say they could take on an alien race then everyone would wonder how. That would lead to questioning their weapon capabilities.
If you're smart at war you don't let anyone know what's up your sleeve and how capable you really are.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by InsertNameHere

The idea that, in Russia today they are asked "unexpected questions" seems a tad generous. In fact, that goes for the UK and the USA as well, "unexpected questions" are either totally ignored, made fun of, or simply not allowed. For them to reply in the manner they did suggests that, the question was actually, far from unexpected and someone was wanting to make some kind of point. It could simply be similar to the Reagan speech where, rather than actually talking about aliens, he was pleading for world wide concord and more cooperation.

That it's found its' way into the Independent as a story does suggest that, they think there's more to this story than meets the eye.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
No country on this planet could take on an alien invasion and win. Russia isn't alone.
Any aliens that could get here across space and/or time and/or through dimensions ...
they'll be MUCH further along evolutionary wise and technology wise.
We wouldn't have a chance.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

“So far we are not capable of that. We are unfortunately not ready to fight extraterrestrial civilizations,” Berezhnoy replied.

I'd agree with that assessment not just for Russia but globally .

Not quite sure what to make of this however

I think this is the important part of the article in response to the journalists question ...

“Our centre was not tasked with it. There are too many problems on Earth and near it,” he added.

RT Article

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

This is how I read it:

Nerdsky: What about alien threat to planet?

Sergey: Is not our job – have plenty of real threats to worry about on and around Earth.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Berezhnoy is being nice. He could have just laughed at the question. Why build up special defenses against something that may never happen. The USA would love if Russia spent all their military money defending against an improbable alien invasion and realigned their missile systems to target aliens

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

this suggests other parts of the world are ready?

now thats funny!

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I think here is the explanation. He didn't want to ignore the question, so he answered sort of semi sarcastically...I don't think there is anything to this.

Nice try though

draknoir2

This is how I read it:

Nerdsky: What about alien threat to planet?

Sergey: Is not our job – have plenty of real threats to worry about on and around Earth.

exactly the way I see it...
edit on 3-10-2013 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Our centre was not tasked with it. There are too many problems on Earth and near it,” he added.

What is near earth that could be considered problematic? Is that a reference to the incoming comet ISON? Or is he referring to weaponry deployed into earth's orbit?

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

FireMoon

That it's found its' way into the Independent as a story does suggest that, they think there's more to this story than meets the eye.

It found it's way into the independent because it's sensationalist headline will get it clicks. Exactly the same reason that it was originally published in rt and no doubt the same reason for when it is published in other media outlets.

The thing is, when you actually read the articles rather than simply apply wishful thinking & speculate on the title, there isn't any substance to it beyond a journalists throwaway question.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

RomaSempre

Our centre was not tasked with it. There are too many problems on Earth and near it,” he added.

What is near earth that could be considered problematic? Is that a reference to the incoming comet ISON? Or is he referring to weaponry deployed into earth's orbit?

Their centre seems to deal with satellites and space launches, I guess that's that aspect covered, although the Independent did embellish the original story just a little by introducing a very tenuous link to the NASA Near Earth Object Program as a way of introducing the article.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
No one is ready for an 'alien threat''.Not even the Americans with their top notch hidden tech.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

You obviously don;t have a clue what the Independent is then as a newspaper. If you did have a clue, you'd know it was unusual for such a story to be carried without some sort genuine point to be made. The again, what would I know? I only studied under Gerry Palmer and Stephen Hazeler.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

FireMoon

You obviously don;t have a clue what the Independent is then as a newspaper. If you did have a clue, you'd know it was unusual for such a story to be carried without some sort genuine point to be made. The again, what would I know? I only studied under Gerry Palmer and Stephen Hazeler.

Really, is that the entire strength of your position?

Back to school for you I think

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This is like the answer of Medvedev (Дмитрий Медведев), it's all empty words. In the current case what they mean to say is 'IF there were aliens, our system would be incapable of fighting them' - imaginary situation, hypothetical, nothing to do with 'Yes there are aliens, we can't fight them zomg!' ...

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

That is one of the most honest answerers I've seen from any government official or military officer. They asked it and they got the truth. Notice that he did not dismiss it in "aliens do not exist"/"there is no alien threat" or even "i refuse to comment about speculations", he honestly stated that at present in case of such event his they aren't ready for that eventuality...

Now the real question is, should they be ? That would be the principal question I would like to see honestly answered by those in power as to me without any further information than public information is that they should, as any other government. But that requires a framing on what the "alien threat" is, there is clearly a alien presence but has any threat assessment been really done on the subject ? I think not. Anyone probing TPTB about the subject should start with why it has not been given proper study and consideration by now any one awake knows how useless (even by design and methodology) the official reports on the subject have been...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join