It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to get a Evangelical Christian to pay when they owe you money.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Hello all, I am in business for myself. Home renovations and the like. Been in business for myself for about 10 years. During this time I have dealt with those who want pay their invoices. Ive had to take folks to court, ends upcosting me money. Nothing huge, normally a small amount that want make or break me. I'm the proud owner of four court ordered judgments in my favor. I will never see that money.

Back during the spring I did a pretty exstensive renovation on a associate pastors home. I want mention the church name. I was paid about half of what I was owed. Along with two other contractors. A landscape guy, and a painter. I am owed a little over 8 grand, the other two much smaller amounts, I think $1000 and about $1700.

I have been trying to get my money out of this man for 6 months. Invoice after invoice, personal conversations, correspondence thru the mail. Still no money. I have went to his home, his work, came away empty handed. I have threatened court action, ignored. I was stymied. Until last evening. I found out what he dont want happening. He dont want folks finding out he's a bum . Last evening, myself and the other two that are owed paid Mr Preacher a visit....... At his church!! Sat thru the service, then waited on the steps for him to come out.

As he did, with wife & kid in tow. I stepped up and started asking as to when your gonna pay this 6 month old bill? I was told this was not the time nor place. I asked in a voice loud enough to be heard by all. Then where and when, because you have been avoiding me for months. I had copies of all invoices, copies of the contract etc etc. I told him I see you got a new car, but in the meantime you owe me 8 grand. How can that be?

He was more than livid, angry is the word, an anger he had to stand there and eat. And I made it as chewy as possible. I let him know that legal action would be implemented this a.m. and I would slap a lien on that home and brand new car. The wifes new car. He asked how can we take care of this mess. I said a check for 8 grand can make it all go away. If not expect me back on Sunday, when the real hostile crowd is in the house. Then I laid the whammy, I let him know that THE PASTOR has gave me permission to attend his church anytime I want.

I let him know that his pastor was made aware of why I was there. If an angry look could kill, i'd be dead right now. I was told to come by the house, I said that's not gonna work. Write a check now, or meet me at the bank in the a.m and get a certified check. If not I will go straight to court and start the proceedings to sue and get my money. A whole bunch of folks heard the whole thing, that was the idea. His wife stopped me before they left and told me she was unaware that they stilll owed me or any body else any monies for the renovation. I gave her acopy of the invoice and a copy of the contract. I supplied her with all my contact info. She said she would take care of this mess........ I took a phone call at about 8:10 this a.m. It was her, she meet my wife at the bank at 9:00am, At which time she got a certified check for the full amount owed.

So to sum it all up. Threats of court action zero response. Threats of lien on home zero response. Embarassing him in front of all his peeps...Wham out came the checkbook. Wife was more than apologetic to my wife, and my wife was cival thru it all. But dear wife of mine, I was right, you were wrong. I told you going to his church would bring about an end to this fiasco. It did. I hated to have to go as far as I did, but it sure beats the hell out of paying court cost's, winning a judgement and then never ever collecting. Get this, several folks at the church asked me for business cards and telling me" we have seen your work and would like to have you give us an estimate" It was a win/win for me. Embarassment, worked and worked well. I hope the mans wife has him kicked to the curb. Peace & have a great day, I know I will. Why? Because the checking account has a new 8 grand in it!!!!!
edit on 3-10-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
That is so awesome!

It's not like you hadn't tried all other avenues 1st!

I say the hypocrite got what he deserved, kudos!

*inserts non existing thumbs up here*

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

The Bible says in Matthew 18, that if one has a grievance with another to go to that person, just you and he alone. If that does not work, then to take another with you and attempt again. If still nothing, then take it to the Church. Which in this case, would be you setting up an appointment with the Senior Pastor, explaining the situation.

If that does not resolve it, then you have a choice....

You can sue for the debt, or forgive the debt. Someone not paying their debts is a problem regardless of faith.

As a Christian, I have forgiven debt so many times, trusting the Lord to repay in some way. (and He does!) But that is up to you. Grace and peace.

Bruce

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
No more threats of action .... time to take action.
And don't ever be alone with him or go to his house.
He could make up stories that would get YOU in trouble.
Keep it all legal and through lawyers.

That's my advice.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Another point about church goers, if your pastor drives a newer, better car than you then why are you helping him pay his car payment? He's using your money for his comfort and riches instead of what you gave it to him for!

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Been awhile since I've seen balls like that.

Glad stuff worked out for you.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Your title to this thread sounded like the opening line of an old joke format....

Q:How do you get a Evangelical Christian to pay when they owe you money?

A: Easy, steal the collection plate......

Another churchy kind of joke is...

Q:Why didn't Jesus go over the road?

A: Because he couldn't get a cross.......

Not the best jokes I have ever told, but it was the first thing that came to mind....

edit on 3-10-2013 by davethebear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Did'nt take balls...took an overwhelming desire to get the 8 thousand that was owed to me. I saved the cost of court filings and taking time out of my schedule to go to court.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

As usual, it was the wife who took responsibility for her husbands actions. I've been through this myself, with Christians, and non-Christians alike. If you want something done, go to the wife. Although that isn't 100%. But usually, it works.

I have heard from more than one of my fellow businessmen, pastors are the worst people on earth to do business with. I don't know if they're the worst, but they certainly rank in the top 5.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Here's one way to deal with someone like this:

Builder destroys porch over debt
A builder who was not paid for the £22,000 porch and conservatory he built for a customer has taken revenge by demolishing his own handiwork. This week, Mr Gray took decisive action and, with the backing of the local council, set about the porch and conservatory he built with an 18lb sledgehammer.

“It gave me a great deal of satisfaction to watch them come crumbling down - but it was also galling to see my own work destroyed,” said Mr Gray. “Mine is a little company, and I’ve had to deal with a £22,000 deficit at one of the worst times of the year. I’ve taken a massive hit. Meanwhile, she’s been lounging around in my conservatory, loving it.

As Mr Gray laid waste to the front of her house, in Shoreham-by-Sea in West Sussex, Mrs Dovey watched television in her living room. During construction, she asked Mr Gray to add a porch to the front. Once the job was done, he spent months sending payment reminders and eventually threatening legal action, but to no avail.

“In fairness to the council, they gave me their full backing to tear down the work - and even told me to leave the rubble on her doorstep.” www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

That's rich! I wish we could do that here where I live. In my state, if you are a service company and install anything in ones home, you cant take it out. You have to take them to court. Been there...done that and it served no purpose. The way I went about my situation was out of sheer frustration. The only thing our courts do is give a judgement in your favor. It's then up to you to lien their property or whatever to try and recoup the monies owed. That's attorneys fee's + court cost to file tha action+ lost time from work+ the fact the onus is on you to get the money after the court judgement. A sad way to go about being owed and collecting.

If what I did Wed night would not have worked, then the court route I would have taken. I asked permission from the church's Pastor. I was not rude nor vulgar, and I keep my tone down to a cival level. The Pastor was a very nice man. He understood, he said he felt for me. I told him I would only be there once. He basicly said Our doors are open to all & all are welcome, what you discuss amoungst yourselves ( outside of the doors) Is none of my business. So the porch was the place. I embarrassed myself, yes I did. Did it work out really really well, yes it did. Will I ever do it again, probally not. I learned my lesson , any work done for a church or church group or Pastors, Preachers, Rabbis, Priest's, will have a much more stringent pay policy.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

Sounds to me like he is a Diotrephes mentioned in 3rd John. Someone that LOVES to be seen of men. They do all this for public glory and flesh feedback. The thought of losing the glory of men meant more to him than the debt he owed you.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 20-8-2015 by fleshorspirit because: added another link of value to this post

edit on 20-8-2015 by fleshorspirit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join