It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

143-year-old law has Washington treading gingerly during shutdown

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I hope they fire the whole lot of them and put them in jail!

Administration officials now live in fear of a 19th-century law that could get them fired, penalized or even imprisoned if they make the wrong choices while the government is shut down.

The law is the Antideficiency Act, passed by Congress in 1870 (and amended several times), which prohibits the government from incurring any monetary obligation for which Congress has not appropriated funds.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

I am not above leveraging black & blue laws against the wielders of corrupt power, nice point!

S&F

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This is just a smoke screen nothing more. Sleight of hand parlor tricks.

Hint: your looking at the wrong hand.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

nighthawk1954
I hope they fire the whole lot of them and put them in jail!

Administration officials now live in fear of a 19th-century law that could get them fired, penalized or even imprisoned if they make the wrong choices while the government is shut down.

The law is the Antideficiency Act, passed by Congress in 1870 (and amended several times), which prohibits the government from incurring any monetary obligation for which Congress has not appropriated funds.

www.nbcnews.com...

F
l
a
g

this to the next universe and BACK !!!

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

This Administration does not care about the laws. And why should they? The media and the low information voters give them a pass on everything.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Rosinitiate

^^^^This right here^^^^ Absolutely!!!! We are being distracted by trying to 'survive' whilst they are up to more dirty tricks. Question is, which trick is dirtiest of all? We aren't seeing it yet........

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Interesting law...it looks like many are walking on egg shells.

I found a couple of articles about President Obama using a section of the 14th amendment to raise the debt ceiling on his own; and President Clinton is advising him to do so.

Here is a current article from September 30, 2013
www.businessinsider.com...

Here is what President Clinton said in 2011.
www.npr.org...

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

caladonea

Interesting law...it looks like many are walking on egg shells.

I found a couple of articles about President Obama using a section of the 14th amendment to raise the debt ceiling on his own; and President Clinton is advising him to do so.

Here is a current article from September 30, 2013
www.businessinsider.com...

Here is what President Clinton said in 2011.
www.npr.org...

Since Obama has spent federal money to support the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, wouldn't that make it a little touchy to try and use the 14th amendment?

Part of Section 4 of Amendment 14 to the Constitution that I'm talking about:

But neither the United States nor any state shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Amendment 14
edit on 3-10-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

jjkenobi

This Administration does not care about the laws. And why should they? The media and the low information voters give them a pass on everything.

The populace, by and larger, does not care about the law, so why would the administration care?

By that, I mean that people, in general:

1. Are ignorant of the law, the rule of law, or what it actually means for the government to follow the law;
2. don't care what happens or what is done as long as their entitlement check or favorite project gets paid out.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I'm going to have to investigate the Clinton-Obama ties. As you guys already know the Clinton's highest priority was Health Care Reform. As we look at Obama, Bush and the Clinton's... Something's going on. But what? I know its not for the good of the American People so why are they pushing this soooo badly? What is the end-game??

Personally... I think whats going on right now in the Middle East has everything to do w/ the Petro dollar and the cartel behind it. I laid it all out in another thread how Saddam and Gaddafi were going against this cartel. They figured out how they could bring down the Super Power by changing how other Countries paid for oil. This scared the hell out of them. Syria was next on the list but we the American People screamed NO so loudly Bush/Obama didn't have a choice.

I believe this health care is a smoke screen for the dollar collapse but I also can't help to think whats behind this whole health care that both the Clinton's and Obama is pushing it so bad... Whats the bottom line? Can anyone help me understand this?

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Stars for all my ATS brothers and sisters!

edit on 3-10-2013 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Too bad congressmen are so lazy and complacent- sounds like they could disrupt a lot of cronyism if any of them cared.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sjorges2002

Sir they don't care! though all this Vets can't get benefits, but these jerks are still being paid!

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Get fired by whom?

Who exactly is going to bring charges?

If they were worried about this problem the would not have let it get this far - they don't care one bit.

There is no downside to anything this for those that do it - none. Ohhh, they won't get reelected? One might not, one sacrficial lamb, but they will all be relected as the election mind control process is just too damn good.

Even if the do get forced out of office, they get great lobbying jobs after.

I ask again, what difference does some obscure law make to any of them?

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
What would it take, let's use Texas and forgo the US?

Can any of the state's actually release themselves from the US? Could Texas side with Mexico and become a part of Mexico; or Tex-Mex By state?

Basicily can a state of the US declare it want's out of the deal? It woulden't be the first time!

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

infoseeker26754
What would it take, let's use Texas and forgo the US?

Can any of the state's actually release themselves from the US? Could Texas side with Mexico and become a part of Mexico; or Tex-Mex By state?

Basicily can a state of the US declare it want's out of the deal? It woulden't be the first time!

So some states can vote to secede, others can't. Has to do with treaties signed when they joined. Texas and Louisiana are two who can for instance. Texas tried in 2006 but fell just 3% short in votes, in other that many more said no. That is incredibly close lol.

I think that would be kewl. I am part native American and I know there are at least two different tribes or nations who have their own countries. Not recognized by the govt, go figure lol.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

dlbott

infoseeker26754

So some states can vote to secede, others can't. Has to do with treaties signed when they joined. Texas and Louisiana are two who can for instance. Texas tried in 2006 but fell just 3% short in votes, in other that many more said no. That is incredibly close lol.

I think that would be kewl. I am part native American and I know there are at least two different tribes or nations who have their own countries. Not recognized by the govt, go figure lol.

The Bot

Thank's for the info Bot!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Rosinitiate

So whats the left hand doing?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

To Tracehd1 = the obamacares less tax has to do with invasion of privacy and the ability to put liens on your property, business, tax refund checks - and ultimately to take your guns (your health record is on the computer - if you have ever taken antipsychotic medication you cannot own a firearm)

Think about the ability of the gov't to have forced home inspections if your child is not doing well in school - the parent is under the age of 21 - your child says that "mommy and daddy have fights", someone smokes cigarettes in your home, ect......

I don't know how scared these political scum are of being "fired", because I don't think they even bother to count the vote anymore - and we can see by the probable blackmail on the SCOTUS, no one is seriously going to bring charges against these criminals.

I think they are gathering their "stealings" and plotting their escape from the US, just in time to escape the financial collapse (due to petro dollar exclusion) and maybe a man-made natural catastrophe.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Nighthawks was the name of my platoon in basic

new topics

top topics

join