It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslims try to burn down church's in the Netherlands

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Personally I think the best way to deal with someone ignorant is to have a group of people educate them so they can correct their shortcomings. Obviously that's not going to work IF that person is only set on disrupting everyone else. But it's worth a shot. More fun anyways.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
No worries, TC. Just trying not to let the forum get "muddy".

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
The muslims have burned down over 150 Serbian Christian churches in Serbia's occupied southern province (one was a 7th century UNESCO World Heritage "protected" church) since it was occupied by the KLA terrorist organization. Last one of those to disappear was when the Hindu sculptures were blown up by the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The truth is can anyone name a place on Earth where mulims and - INSERT RELIGION - live side by side in a harmonious, integrated manner.

Kashmir ... Hindus are the problem

Thailand ... Buddhists are the problem

Too many countries to mention ... Christians are the problem

The muslim religion is more than that: it's a way of life. It differs so much from other faiths in that respect. Some would argue that it is simply too different to exist harmoniously side by side with other faiths.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by blablablaxyz

The truth is can anyone name a place on Earth where mulims and - INSERT RELIGION - live side by side in a harmonious, integrated manner.

Goverment controled part of Bosnia (muslim majority). All churches still stand, people are not discriminated because of their religion, they can practice their belief freely. On the other side, the orthodox christian (serbian) part of Bosnia: not a single mosque is left, all records of existence of muslims have been erased, cemetaries destroyed, 200,000 people killed. Ethnic cleansing it is called, and Milosevic is doing his time for it now.
In Egypt there is a constitutional ban on religion based parties, there are over 2 million coptic christians living there, side by side with Muslims. The problems they ALL have are caused by corrupted goverment and slow implementation of economic reforms.

But that is beside the point of this thread.

I have to say that I am very surprized at how much the situation in Netherlands has escalated. It seems that the tensions in some parts were much higher then it was presented in public.
It all depends now on how will the Dutch Goverment react to this.
The fact stands, that despite the violent events of the past few weeks, the majority of both the Dutch people and Muslims are peaceful tolerant people. If it wasn't that way, the Netherlands wouldn't be a symbol of tolerance.
The problem is the violent minority. For whatever reasons, they've been allowed to preach their hatred without any serious consequences. It might have been political corectness gone wrong, ignorance, maybe nobody believed that it would ever reach this level, who knows.

When you have freedom of speech it is difficult to determine when exactly that freedom turns into racial hatred, fundamentalism or hitler-like nationalism.
IMO, one of the biggest weaknesses of all EU countries is that they have established theoreticaly where this line is, but have actually done very little against those who cross it. That has to change. Action is required, not just talk.
On one side, the Dutch people are threatened by violent muslim minority who is inciting hatred, and on the other side, muslims are threatened and attacked by dutch right-wing nuts and neo-nazis with their own version of "pure" society. I am sure that moderate people on both sides want to see more action against these extremists.

However, I very much disagree with far right wing parties and their solutions, which usualy consist of "lets deport all foreigners to their home countries" mentality. That is not a solution either. You can't punish millions of people who have done nothing wrong just beacuse a few people who happen to be of the same religion decide to kill somebody. That is called "collective guilt", we had that before in Europe, Hitler blamed ALL jews for whatever problems he had. We all know what happened and we most certainly do not want that again.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I sorry to have to tell you this, but you're dreaming. The Dutch are paying the price for that kind of thinking. Now the very fabric of their society is in jeopardy. It's going to happen here, too.

Yeah, it is a dream. But the other alternative is that whole ethnic cleansing thing or a new set of crusades. And well I don't really want to be a part of that.

Also, it takes 2 sides to negotiate a peace. That is where the Dutch had problems, they tried to be nice, but the other side did not care.

At some point in the near future I believe one of the countries of this world will decided enough is enough, and take matters into their own hands, globaly. I fear what would happen if a country with a bunch of nukes decides they have had enough and just starts dropping bombs without regard for civilians.

Originally posted by Thinker
I've read a few one liners to draw my conclusions.

Unfortunately you can say the same thing about the Bible. Just reading 1 or 2 passages and then forming a conclusion can be dangerous. One must know the context to each line in both the Koran and the Bible.

<< 1   >>

join