It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did I just really read this? Julia Ioffe is advocating military seige of congress on newrepublic.com

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
www.newrepublic.com...

What is a president in a presidential constitutional republic to do when faced with an intransigent, bull-headed faction among his people's representatives? Well, Boris Yeltsin, Russia's first democratically elected president, was once faced with a similar situation exactly 20 years ago, in October 1993. The parliament, then called the Supreme Soviet, was increasingly against Yeltsin's neoliberal economic reforms (suggested to him by young Western advisors like Jeffrey Sachs). On one hand, these reforms freed up the old Soviet command economy. On the other, they drove the country into chaos and violence, and left tens of millions impoverished, their savings nullified by skyrocketing inflation. The parliament, dominated by old Soviet conservatives, was increasingly against these reforms and refused to confirm Yeltsin's key economic advisor. Yeltsin held a national referendum, a sort of national vote of confidence, which he won, and used it as a justification for what he did next. Almost exactly 20 years ago, he dissolved parliament. The vice president and the speaker of the parliament dissolved Yeltsin's presidency, and holed up with their supporters in the parliament's headquarters, now known as "the White House." Then Yeltsin did this to it.

www.newrepublic.com...

www.newrepublic.com...

edit on 2-10-2013 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Did she just forget what nation she lives in?? The American Congress isn't the Russian Parliament. Ours is 100% and completely equal in power and authority and can't be pressured or threatened with dissolution. They CAN fire the President (Impeachment). He CANNOT fire or pressure them outside a forced session.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
If congress needs to be removed from office then it is a job for the people not the military. This is why both parties fear the second amendment and the founding fathers saw a need for it.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Given Obama's general state of mind lately (and before),

I would be more afraid of *HIM* attacking the House !!!

Ever since the Snowden and Syria debacles, I *REALLY* wonder.

He seems really set back in recent weeks.

It wouldn't be the first time in world history .... would it ?

Hmmm.

You never know.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Well then what if the military decides to establish a repressive military junta?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I missed the part where she advocated this? In trying to determine if she was the sort to infer such a thing (absent her actually advocating it) I clicked through to her profile and list of past articles and she seems to fancy herself a Russia buff. Many articles about Russia, Putin etc. None of them complimentary.

I can certainly say it wasn't well thought out to post this during this time...but it's also possible she was just trying to provide context in international history other than the Clinton shut-down which all the other media is rehashing.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

buster2010
If congress needs to be removed from office then it is a job for the people not the military. This is why both parties fear the second amendment and the founding fathers saw a need for it.

This coming from Mr gun control? Sheesh. So when it serves your partys purpose you have no problem with the people rising up huh?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

yuppa

buster2010

This coming from Mr gun control? Sheesh. So when it serves your partys purpose you have no problem with the people rising up huh?

When have I supported gun control?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

You may have forgotten who was Yeltzin's last prime minister was before he was forced to leave the office of Russian president due to systemic corruption and lack of confidence by the Russian people. Oh yeah, it was Vladimir Putin.

Funny how afterward Putin served two terms as president then was appointed prime minister for two terms and now is president again, and just got presidential term limits increased to four consecutive terms.

Hmm, sound all kinds of democratic huh?

Oh and don't forget, the US isn't even supposed to be a democracy anyway. Does Constitutional Republic sound familiar at all?

Didn't some of those guys who wrote the Constitution say something along the lines warning us against the tyranny of the majority? But then you can't even really call this a democracy either.

I think corrupt sham might be more fitting.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I am not digging through thousands of threads to find it. Ignore it like everything else.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Did she just forget what nation she lives in?? The American Congress isn't the Russian Parliament. Ours is 100% and completely equal in power and authority and can't be pressured or threatened with dissolution. They CAN fire the President (Impeachment). He CANNOT fire or pressure them outside a forced session.

I agree that "THEY" can impeach the President. However, what will that do? The American people are brain dead when it come to voting for only those whom are wealthy enough to get in the game.

Why and when did it become the norm that to get into a race for a federal political office require a lot of money???

Secondly, why would a wealthy person take a pay cut to become a politician??? See where I am going??? Oh yes, on paper, they only make close to 200k, but in reality, because they create the laws, they make way more than what their W-2 states.

Vote D OR R!!! That is the mentality of the American voter. Why is it that most of our laws in this country, oppress those whom are already struggling? Why is it that those whom represent us are already filthy rich (compared to those of us whom elect them) or will become much more wealthy after the fact?

Sorry Americans, we have a government out of control and the Constitution tells us how to deal with it! The problem is, too many people believe they are loved by the party that is abusing them!! We are so divided as a country, that every day that goes by, "THEY" have and get MORE power to control us!

What needs to be done in this country isn't going to be pretty for anyone. However, if we do nothing but sit with our thumbs up our plums waiting for "THEM" to become honest, we are just freakin doomed!

We have the criminals running the prison, and YET, we sit on our collective asses fighting over which one is the lesser of two evils????

No wonder we are finding our country at the point of imploding.....

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Vote D OR R!!! That is the mentality of the American voter. Why is it that most of our laws in this country, oppress those whom are already struggling? Why is it that those whom represent us are already filthy rich (compared to those of us whom elect them) or will become much more wealthy after the fact?

Well not to sound to cliche' or like an old quaint movie here...but perhaps it's time we all, individually, start taking on the responsibility of seeing that change.

I honestly believe most regular people are sharp enough by a wide margin to pick up what the problem is here. I also think the changes over the last 4-6 years have insured most are far too busy racing every other rat to just stay in the race and stay off benefits themselves.

You might recall I said last year I'd be spending all the time from that poin to 2016, working to see 2016 went differently than 2012. I still am. Very much so...but this is where I think it starts for each of us on the small level.

This message sells itself ...it's just a matter of getting people to want to listen long enough with an open mind to realize...hey..this makes sense to why everything has been going to crap since about late 07'ish.
edit on 2-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

buster2010

Yeah great...

So why arnt you all marching on DC with your guns to forcebly remove your broken govement thats about to destroy it own economy?

Stop waveing your secound amendent round and actualy use it! Otherwise they are just pointless words on abit of paper!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

And your congress is about to destroy the entire country by propelling it i to the 3rd world if it dont act soon.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'm not advocating this in anyways and way before this thread came to be, the moment the shutdown happened and the POTUS had his address about not backing down, instantly an image popped up in my head of the military being fed up and decided to take things in their own hands.
--
Anyways, I don't think a military coup would happen. Though if something came down along the grapevine, you guys would be the first to know since...well some of you guys already know who I am...you guys would know first hand.
--
But this lady reeks of Russian...she's probably just as angry as every other citizen out there and probably thinking the worse as a way to sooth her mind....however that works.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

crazyewok

Wrabbit2000

And your congress is about to destroy the entire country by propelling it i to the 3rd world if it dont act soon.

--
Well, are you going to help us put the skitters in their Allen Whickers, you plonker?
I certainly hope so, I would kill to have an ewok march along side me with a british accent...

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

WTF you on about?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Hmmm.

Maybe Putin is Obama's *inner* president ?

Obama *IS* the dream'n type.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I think if Obama even smells *impeachment*, he will crack.

Then we've had it for sure !!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

yuppa
reply to post by buster2010

I am not digging through thousands of threads to find it. Ignore it like everything else.

If you can't back it up shut it up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join