It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shutdown locks 30 kids with cancer out of treatment programs per week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Each week that Republican politicians refuse to end the shutdown of the federal government results in 200 cancer patients being unable to enroll in treatment programs at the National Institutes of Health, 30 of them children. According to the Atlantic, the number came from a Wall Street Journal article with an interview with NIH director Francis Collins.

“At the National Institutes of Health,” said the Journal, “nearly three-quarters of the staff was furloughed. One result: director Francis Collins said about 200 patients who otherwise would be admitted to the NIH Clinical Center into clinical trials each week will be turned away. This includes about 30 children, most of them cancer patients, he said.”

Shutdown locks 30 kids with cancer out of treatment programs per week

During the shutdown, 2,564 staffers will be retained to manage the existing roster of cases. The clinic will be unable, however, to take on any new patients for as long as the shutdown continues

John Boehner (R-OH) could step off the shutdown bandwagon at any time

apparently this is a "last hope center" when all other resources are exhausted. And being that the government is "shut down" that means

The rest of the commenters on that page are pretty sobering when you start reading them

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
so why are the democrats blocking funding for it?

The democrats said fund it all or we are going to block funding for everything,the republicans are willing to fund NIH and a lot of other things during the shutdown but the democrats are steadfast against that,they want an all or nothing deal.
If the democrats really did care about these kids with cancer not getting treatment they would stop holding them hostage and vote to fund the NIH until the shutdown is over.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Its the death of compromise from our reps that is the heart of this.

Its not a Dem problem, or a Rep problem.

They are all political scum and we the people need to fire them, At my job, if I refuse to do it I get fired.

Should be the damn same in government.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

benrl
Its the death of compromise from our reps that is the heart of this.

Its not a Dem problem, or a Rep problem.

They are all political scum and we the people need to fire them, At my job, if I refuse to do it I get fired.

Should be the damn same in government.

Imagine what you would be willing to do to keep things the way they are if you got the pay and benefits they got.
I bet those insider trading tips alone are worth it all.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

Sadly the article you posted is just one of many articles that have been inundating the media to push propaganda in order to gear the anger toward the desirable opposing party.

See, if my memory doesn't fail me this same tactics were used during the 28 days of Clinton government shutdown, in the 90s, the only difference is that this time the littler children are the exploitable source.

Yes propaganda is such a power tool, either that or our over bloated and out control government now can destroy every aspect of American life.

I am sure that the job of government was not intended to become that big.

What a scary future, when we one day will have to ask our government permission for everything we do or they will shut down us into submission, wait that is exactly what they are doing now.

edit on 2-10-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
wrong thread
edit on 10/2/2013 by Azdraik because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This is wholly on the GOP because they are playing dirty politics that proves they are immoral.

They have made it impossible for the Dems to compromise simply because if they do the GOP can do it again and again and again and we will have tyranny of the Tea party.

Amazing people here don’t see and understand that.

Imagine what they would do if they get all the power?

We would be in a Nazi LIKE COUNTRY PRETTY QUICK.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Amazing people here don’t see and understand that.

Do you know what's more amazing than that?

The fact that you have allowed this fake two party system to force you to pick a team, and buy into their divisiveness! It truly amazes me that you actually can twist things around in way that makes the Evil controlling one side of the country seem to be better than the evil controlling the other side......

Can I ask you something?

Do you believe that Professional Wrestling is real?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Oh this is getting thick. Both sides are obstructing for the sake of insanity, just so they can each find ways to dig up these stories on each other.

If it wasn't destroying my country, it would be hilarious to watch the pathetic waltz of ineptitude continue its daily cadence.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

" Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) asked why Senate Democrats would want to fund the National Institutes of Health to “help one child who has cancer” Wednesday when asked that question by CNN reporter Dana Bash."

www.youtube.com...

Harry Reid is a Scumbag , and Oh , he also happens to be a Democrat........

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Tardacus
so why are the democrats blocking funding for it?

The democrats said fund it all or we are going to block funding for everything,the republicans are willing to fund NIH and a lot of other things during the shutdown but the democrats are steadfast against that,they want an all or nothing deal.
If the democrats really did care about these kids with cancer not getting treatment they would stop holding them hostage and vote to fund the NIH until the shutdown is over.

Would the cancer treatment be funded in the bill I know National parks and veteran benefits would? I doubt this shut down last much longer.

new topics

top topics

join