It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An idea for producing energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
OK an idea I have been thinking about for a while, but before I go into the details I just need to run by some random facts you need to know to understand this!

1 Gravity is related to pressure and pressure is related to temperature, example the temperature required for the ignition of our Sun was produced by the shear mass of hydrogen creating such pressure and temperature due to gravitational compression that it started the fusion process. Another example the center of our planet is molten due to the same factors.

2 The deepest hole man has ever drilled was in Russia and it was over 7 miles deep into the earth!

3 If you raise water to a temperature of 1000C it will decompose to release hydrogen and oxygen

4 Pressure increases as cross section decreases, think of a fat lady in high heels standing on your foot if you want to visualize that.

So whats the idea! we dig a massive well into the Earth say 5 miles deep and perhaps 1/4 miles wide. For the last 1 mile the wells diameter is to gradually decrease so that at 5 miles deep it is only 1 foot wide. Then we flood it with sea water!

The shear pressure at the bottom of that 1 foot diameter well would be huge, the weight of all those millions of tons of water above it would cause the temperature reached to cause the thermal decomposition of water into hydrogen and oxygen. At the mouth of the well on the Earths surface Hydrogen and Oxygen would bubble up in huge quantity, we simply bottle that and use it for all our fuel needs.....just a fun idea

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

How would the pressure be large enough to break down the water? I am assuming that the water molecules would get pressed upon and then due to their fluid nature, the would just roll back up along the sides of the chamber until they have reached an equilibrium once again. I think the water would move in a convection-like manner, especially if there is any heat under pressure.
Nothing is holding the molecules in place so I don't see it working. If it did work then this would already be happening naturally under the sea-floor as water gets pushed deep down into chasms and such.

Okay, assuming that it did work, how do you collect the Oxygen and Hydrogen at the surface? How do you separate them ?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

Hate to burst your hydrogen and oxygen bubbles.. but if your well was kept open so that seawater could get to the bottom, then there wouldn't be pressure on it save for seawater above, and that is not going to be splitting molecules...

Second, you are thinking of raising the temperature of water to 1000 degrees at ambient pressure, not the pressure that is required to raise the temperature to a 1000 degrees.

Third, any particles of free hydrogen at such a pressure would be heavy and liquid and not float...

I dig that you are thinking out of the box, but there's like a 100 reasons why that wouldn't work.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

Don't encourage him by justifying it with logical questions. Obviously none of this holds any merit, water is not going to generate heat and boil itself from its own pressure just because you pour it in a huge cone shaped hole. What in god's name made the OP think that such a thing would occur is beyond me.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

There is no such naturally occurring structure in nature. The water is split due to the heat at the bottom created by the weight of the water itself. You would have to build a dome over the top.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Wrong, you dont need to cap it, the pressure is caused by the weight of water itself....do you remember doing this experiment at school?

The water out the bottom jet reaches furthest because it is under greater pressure.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Have you ever heard of "Critical point"? For water its 647 K, above that temperature the water is no longer liquid no matter how much you pressurize it, its 100% gas.

The whole system would explode since it vaporizes faster than hydrogen and oxygen atoms would escape from the system.

And salt would be problem when you use sea water

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
If you are drilling for renewable energy then geothermal is the way to go.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Grimpachi

The biggest problem with geothermal is current drilling technology. Also they tend to have to position them in certain areas due to the depth required to set everything up. Maybe if they rigged a system that alternated plants so that they had time to renew would work for long term.

Either way it's still a very interesting technology. Once they get the kinks worked out it will be an amazing source of energy.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

LUXUS

There is no such naturally occurring structure in nature. The water is split due to the heat at the bottom created by the weight of the water itself. You would have to build a dome over the top.

But when do we use the fat lady?

If we combust her, she should confalgrate for a while. Slow and smouldering with extreme heat.

Smells like bacon, but it's the future of the world we're saving!!!!!

Onwards and Upwa.. wait.. you said a hole.. Onward and Downward!!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

OrphanApology

Grimpachi

The biggest problem with geothermal is current drilling technology. Also they tend to have to position them in certain areas due to the depth required to set everything up. Maybe if they rigged a system that alternated plants so that they had time to renew would work for long term.

Either way it's still a very interesting technology. Once they get the kinks worked out it will be an amazing source of energy.

G,day mate. ques. I thought geothermal was a fully proven and going concern in either Iceland or Greenland.
they have tested geo thermal in the far north of south Australia. they were raving about it 2 years ago then all went quiet. .
but, if we planted a couple of wind farms around Canberra and Washington we would never run out of power. (govts are full of wind) lol

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

pronto

OrphanApology

Grimpachi

G,day mate. ques. I thought geothermal was a fully proven and going concern in either Iceland or Greenland.
they have tested geo thermal in the far north of south Australia. they were raving about it 2 years ago then all went quiet. .
but, if we planted a couple of wind farms around Canberra and Washington we would never run out of power. (govts are full of wind) lol

Geothermal has been used but there are several issues that need to be worked out before it will replace power plants.

A. It has to be in a specific area due to drilling depths.
B. Drilling technology still makes it very difficult to continually drill that far down. (One guy has come up with a tech that doesn't require actual physical drill bits so this one might be fixed sooner rather than later)
C. The areas get depleted after a decade or so.

There are other issues as well but those are the main ones I believe.
C

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

G,day mate. thankyou for your reply I might have to look into this further as my Norwegian nuclear boffin mate say its a provin workin sorce of energy.
tesla where the foxtrot are you. take care cobber.

new topics

top topics

join