It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Principal lets Gideon's group give bibles to elementary students!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

khimbar

buster2010
Religion has no place in public schools. They are breaking the law.

Distribution of Gideon Bibles

The fact that distribution occurs during school hours could lead a reasonable student to believe that the school endorses the program

Genuine question, not trolling but curious, would the same apply out of hours?

If it is endorsed by the school then yes it would apply out of hours. A public school isn't allowed to endorse a religion.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

occrest
reply to post by buster2010

yet they still teach science.

What are you afraid of?

That article proves that there are stupid smart people. Anyone that thinks science is a religion is an idiot.

How many wars and killings are done over religion as compared to wars and killings over science.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
You should be outraged at kids getting on blackberries and androids during school lessons, but oh well, kids are not learning anything anyway during the school lessons. So yeah, the bibles that is the ultimate culprit, sort of like during the days of Nero. Go against the basic grain of humanity and gets you a job working with kids. What a disgrace.
edit on 2-10-2013 by Woodie75 because: p

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

buster2010
Religion has no place in public schools. They are breaking the law.

Distribution of Gideon Bibles

In Berger v. Rensselaer School Corp. ̧ 982 F.2d at 1165 - 66 (7 th Cir.), cert. Denied. U.S. 113 S. Ct. 2344 (1993) the court ruled that the Gideons Society practice of distributing Bibles to public school students in fifth grade class- rooms was unconstitutional. The court found both the Gideons in - school presentation as well as the practice of stacking Bibles by the classroom door with the encouragement to take one to violate the Establishment Clause. Although the teachers did not distribute the Bibles, and the students were not required to take a Bible, the court found the practice to be an unconstitutional governmental endorsement of religion. The court noted that the availa- bility of Bibles to students in schools carried the stamp of school endorsement simply because they were made available to students during instructional time and with the permission of the school. The fact that distribution oc- curs during school hours could lead a reasonable student to believe that the school endorses the program

Well, It has happened recently.
tampa.cbslocal.com...

And the Atheist group responded and left their material which is no biggie except of course they had to push it too far and try distributing X-rated material to make their point.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

buster2010

occrest
reply to post by buster2010

yet they still teach science.

What are you afraid of?

That article proves that there are stupid smart people. Anyone that thinks science is a religion is an idiot.

How many wars and killings are done over religion as compared to wars and killings over science.

Central Communism / State Sponsored Atheism wins that one, at least in the 20th century unless you consider that a religion in which case you would be correct.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Chrisfishenstein

Krazysh0t
reply to post by occrest

Exactly! Where are the free Torahs, Qur'ans, Vedas, and Tipitakas (Buddhist holy text) for the students as well? If they are to make an informed decision they should be given all the material to work with right? Not just some preconceived notion that Christianity is automatically the correct religion.

Preconceived? Not at all....It IS the correct religion....

So says the lord.....Not a prophet, not a monk, not a child, not a fat butt, not anything other than the lord....

So, yeah, it is the correct religion....

Oh? How so? The way I see it they are a bunch of different books written by men describing a complete guess on the matter of God(s). What makes any of them more correct then the other? You know besides that you were born into a Christian family.
edit on 2-10-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BattleStarGal

You should report this to one of the many groups that fight this sort of thing. Unfortunately that is the only recourse you really have because there are twice as many groups out there that have zero respect for seperation of church and state.

If that didn't work you should go buy a ton of pocket additions of the Koran, Torah, and introductions into Buddhism. Get some pagan publications as well then set them out for the kids as well. Fair is Fair.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

Why do you think schools are having problems? It's because prayer and the Bible has been taken out.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I'm in the UK, when I was at secondry school in year 9 (13-14 year old) a group of Gideons came and talked in an asembely. They gave the whole yeargroup a little red New Testament and Psalms bible... Just like the one in your picture.

This was back in say 1995. Looks like it's been Gideons practice for years. Harmless though, nothing was forced on us.

Incidentally I still have the bible. Despite not holding much truck with religion.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

G,day. ok i'll bite. your just trying to bait us are you not. otherwise I would start thinking that you are a person who dislikes Christians the bible and therefore one of the major corner stones of western civilization the GOD of Abraham Jacob and issac.
if this is the case then you are in denial of the foundation blocks of your country and the state of south Australia from which I come.. your and mine, the founding fathers were bible believing men and women of GOD.
come to think of it I have read and been humbled by the prayers of Gen G Washington. so I ask are u what is you agenda here. I have said it before and I will say it again you blokes want your country back as do many brits and aussies want their countries back.
BUT. when our countries placed the living GOD and his word and rules in first place over our lives.
surprise our nations prospered beyond all that was dreamed of.
now that we have replaced GOD with humanism paganism and every other kind of ism you can think of our nations are to be seen in a state of decay, collapse, corruption and evilness at the highest levels.
so what do you want
Man must be governed by GOD.
Or he will be ruled by tyrants.
so tell me what kind of people you got in Washington. bet their the same as we have in canberra

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I wonder how many of these Bible thumpers, that want to indoctrinate other people's children into their religion, also want to see Harry Potter books banned because they teach that witch craft is cool? Want to see creationism taught and evolution censored?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

If a school is allowing bibles to be handed out then it should also allow other religious texts to be handed out such as the Torah, the Koran, and other religious sources, otherwise it is backing a particular religion, which is unconstitutional. This would cause mayhem. Because of this, the founding fathers wanted ALL religion separated from the state. All the time devoted to the various religious literature means taking time away from ACTUAL SCHOOL SUBJECTS OF IMPORTANCE like math and English, social studies, music, art, and so on. Our school scores are deplorable as is. Diluting the time in school is the wrong idea. Teaching children religion is brainwashing as they have no idea at that age who they even are yet. Teaching right from wrong can be done without religion. Religion should come from the Heart, not the brainwashed mind.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I know, its terrible...

If your gonna give them the book, give them the whole thing, all 81+ books!!
edit on 2-10-2013 by AbleEndangered because: added: humor

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

jaxnmarko

If a school is allowing bibles to be handed out then it should also allow other religious texts to be handed out such as the Torah, the Koran, and other religious sources, otherwise it is backing a particular religion, which is unconstitutional.

While true, we cannot know in this case as there is a lacking of information. We do not know if the principal has denied the request of other groups to place the literature out. Nothing was handed out, rather made available.

Because of this, the founding fathers wanted ALL religion separated from the state.

You are partial right. It stops the Federal Government from establishing a religion, not the States (though all states follow a similar principle).

All the time devoted to the various religious literature means taking time away from ACTUAL SCHOOL SUBJECTS OF IMPORTANCE like math and English, social studies, music, art, and so on.

According to the account, no time was taken from instruction to do this as the literature was placed outside of classrooms (as depicted in the pictures).

Our school scores are deplorable as is. Diluting the time in school is the wrong idea. Teaching children religion is brainwashing as they have no idea at that age who they even are yet. Teaching right from wrong can be done without religion. Religion should come from the Heart, not the brainwashed mind.

Agreed in part.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

BattleStarGal
I work at an elementary school in Kentucky, and I had to share this real quick. I just watched the principal allow a local Gideon's group to enter the school and give out bibles to students! I am OUTRAGED! You can't force religion down the throats of young kids while they are at a PUBLIC SCHOOL! I even took photos of the horrendous event!

Is not that a violation of the Constitutional separation of church and state?
Every public official now has a license to ignore our grand constitution because of the criminal disregard of it by our elected politicians who swore to uphold it.

The Bible is a great book and everyone should study it. But they should make that decision by themselves.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

leostokes
Is not that a violation of the Constitutional separation of church and state?

What would be the violation? On what grounds would you present to the courts of such a violation?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

A teacher mad at a book?

More to this story!!

Yeah, they are much better off reading "To kill a Mockingbird" or "Catcher in the Rye"!!

Little red book cause all that anger?? nah....

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Seems that question was already answered in this thread with case law to back it up.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pronto

You really should read more about our founding fathers and what they thought of religion and how it should or should not be shared (read "pushed") on other individuals.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

BattleStarGal

Was this pic taken on a Saturday or Sunday?

Light is off in adjacent classroom. Floors look squeaky clean, no traffic or gum wrappers..

Clock says 11:30, and in most schools someone is moving down the hall at 11:30am...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join