It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The media really annoy me...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This has mainly been brought to the forefront by the thing at the moment with Ed Miliband's dad that the Daily Mail printed.

Story here

Like, first of all I wouldn't really be that bothered about anything the Mail says. They're full of rubbish as it is.

But Jesus Christ, who's idea was it to post something about a politician's dead dad anyway? Not only does it not impact what Ed does (because he's, like, his own person) but the blokes dead and they're posting pictures of his actual grave? What happened to letting the dead lie? Why do we need to bring this up?

I don't think fondly of many politicians really but I'm fairly sure neither Miliband nor Cameron nor anyone actually hate Britain. Why would you bother trying to be prime minister if you did? It's just a pathetic attempt to tarnish Ed's name since they can't find anything else to say about him. And who is Michael Gove to say that it's fine. I bet it wouldn't be if they were slagging off his dad. Or Cameron's dad.

And on the subject of Tories, who the hell decided it would be a good idea to discuss cutting benefits for the under 25's? Most people leave university at 21 and struggle to get a job, and for a lot of people, it's because there aren't any jobs. Mr Cameron, when your kiddies leave uni under 25 and can't get a job are you going to go back to supporting them? Of course you will, because you can afford to, but not everyone can. And yes, there are plenty of pointless degrees out there and there are plenty of people scrounging off the state but how about we start by cutting the benefits for the people who aren't trying to find work, aren't trying to build up a life and plan on having some kids to get the benefits. I know you're trying, I can see that, but generalising all of us under 21s as lazy and workshy is pretty wrong. I reckon 24 is a good time to have a bairn, to be honest. You're young enough to play with it, old enough to look after it. Plenty of energy. Most people will have been working 3 years. Me, I'll have been working 1 year training and another fully qualified, so I'll probably have to give it til I'm 26. But most people will be established. What then happens, at 24, if one of the parents loses their job? They have a mortgage to pay, bills, food, and a baby on the way or born? Do they deserve less benefits than a 30 year old who has never worked? I don't think so. So, yes, I can see where they're coming from. But no, I don't think it's the correct way to go about it. Surely there must be a way to see how many applications have been sent out, interviews have been attended etc to gauge the benefits allowed? Or would that just be too much hassle for us?

Yes, free press is fine and all that. But when did newspapers swap from being news to following around people with a bit of notoriety trying to 'expose' their flaws? Does anyone really care what Kate looks like with no top on? Or what Kim Kardashian is wearing when she's gone to the shop? Or how many women Harry Styles has taken to his hotel rooms? When did this become news?

I just think it's horrendous that people don't care about whats going on in the world but seem perfectly happy to stare at pictures of celebrities and pretend nothings going wrong.

And I think that, even if Mr Miliband's dad did hate Britain, it has nothing to do with him and it shouldn't be used as a tool to try and sway support towards the Tories. It's really pathetic. And I think he does deserve an apology, if for nothing else, publishing a picture of a man's grave along with a story about how he hated the country he escaped to, fought for and died in.

Phew, I know no one of consequence will ever read this, but I definitely feel better now.

Rant over.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

I wouldn't worry too much about lil ol Ed! He'll be quite the genius at tarnishing his own name after a "career" in politics. It comes with the job.

Media Schmedia! ATS is ten times more fun than the dreary BBC website. The world according to ATS is so juicily full of wit. Here you can have any truth/ anything you want!

Aliens, life on Mars, Elvis at 78. It's all here.

Yes, a world full of ATS phenomenon, like David Duchovny on a mind altering substance and my much better than dreary life dreams I have during long hours of comatose sleep are the business.

Seriously, the mainstream media are the advertising agencies for The Ones Who Want You To Think In An All Neat Together Social Reality Pattern That Is Easy To Manipulate and Direct bad boys upstairs!

It ain't worth the depression of carrying their burdens for them. Why should we have to listen to Radio 4 with all the latest depression at eight o clock in the morning? No way!

Jam on toast!

edit on 2-10-2013 by Revolution9 because: spelling

edit on 2-10-2013 by Revolution9 because: spelling.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

I've stopped watching the MSM all together. I can't even watch the national news channels here in Canada anymore. Too much BS. They're either 1) telling you complete lies, 2) only tell you a fraction of whatever story their trying to sell you or 3) a combination of the two. I gave up watching CNN, etc. about three years ago and my life is so much better. Look at it this way the MSM is like crack or this is your brain on MSM just say no.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

If the MSM angers you, then start your own network like Ted Turner did.
Start a web site like ATS and include what you think the msm lacks.
Join your public access channel and produce your own news show.

start with this...

www.celtx.com...

Here is a list of public access channels that you can avail yourself with.

en.wikipedia.org...

Bitching on ATS won't solve anything. Be the change you want to see.

oops, I see you aren't in the States. Does Canada have the same kind of public access availability?
edit on 2-10-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

The issue with Ed Millibands father is like an American political stunt to try and smear the guy through his relatives - its similar to all the crap that came out about Obama's mother and father, and I would imagine its based around the right-wing aspect of the Mail realising that Cameron & Co. are - despite trying to do their best - potentially on the fast train out of Downing Street in a couple of years, so they're getting some licks in now to try and start the rot.

What I can't understand in the 'net age is why newspapers still sell.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Yeah, it's the same principle just it doesn't bother as many people over here as it does in the US. It just really annoys me that they'd use someones parents who aren't around to insult the credibility of that person. It's really disrespectful.

And as much as I'd love to be the change, I really don't have much time to do anything other than 'bitch on ATS'. Final year of my degree, got modules on cancer research and HIV, doing a project in one of those fields, got coursework due in already, an OSCE to prepare for. Plus I don't understand the internet enough to do the coding and I definitely don't have time to try. Or gather the information. And I'm sure there are plenty of other people doing it.
Also, if that was referred to me, I'm not Canadian. Haha.

new topics

top topics

join