It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationists on Texas Panel for Biology Textbooks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

One is a nutritionist who believes “creation science” based on biblical principles should be taught in the classroom. Another is a chemical engineer who is listed as a “Darwin Skeptic” on the Web site of the Creation Science Hall of FameLink. A third is a trained biologist who also happens to be a fellow of the Discovery InstituteLink, the Seattle-based center of the intelligent-design movement and a vice president at an evangelical ministry in Plano, Tex.

Students and activists marched through the University of Texas in Austin to the State Board of Education’s hearing on biology textbooks on Sept. 17. (Drew Anthony Smith for The New York Times)
As Texas gears up to select biology textbooks for use by high school students over the next decade, the panel responsible for reviewing submissions from publishers has stirred controversy because a number of its members do not accept evolution and climate change as scientific truth.

In the state whose governor, Rick Perry, boasted as a candidate for president that his schools taught both creationism and evolution, the State Board of Education, which includes members who hold creationist views, helped nominate several members of the textbook review panel. Others were named by parents and educators. Prospective candidates could also nominate themselves. The state’s education commissioner, Michael L. Williams, a Perry appointee and a conservative Republican, made the final appointments to the 28-member panel. Six of them are known to reject evolution.

Some Texans worry that ideologically driven review panel members and state school board members are slowly eroding science education in the state..

. Historically, given the state’s size, Texas’ textbook selections have had an outsize impact on what ended up in classrooms throughout the country. That influence is waning somewhat because publishers can customize digital editions and many states are moving to adopt new science standards with evolution firmly at their center.

Even in Texas, districts can make their own decisions, but many will simply choose books from the state’s approved list. “It’s a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval,” said David Anderson, a former official in the Texas Education Agency, as the department of education is known, and now a consultant who works with textbook publishers.

Four years ago, a conservative bloc on the state school board pushed through amendments to science standards that call for students to “analyze and evaluate” some of the basic principles of evolution. Science educators and advocates worry that this language can be used as a back door for teaching creationism.

“It is like lipstick on a Trojan horse,” said Ms. Miller of the Texas Freedom Network.

Parents are worried that their children will not be able to compete for jobs that require scientific backgrounds..
NY times

Here we go again. There was a documentary on this subject already and it was an eye opener. I think the parents are rightfully concerned about their children getting a sub par education. Religion should be left to the parents and church. Creationism is not a scientific theory there would have to be evidence supporting it. At least things seem to have gotten a little better because other states can pick up modified books. It used to be that whatever Texas approved most of the country followed.

Here is a thread about Christian groups suing over the new science standards in school.ATS

edit on 2-10-2013 by Grimpachi because: Links

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I just got out of HS in Texas and my astronomy teacher would always talk about god, and we never actually talked about space. it was all about earth so it should of been earth science not astronomy... but anyways, he was really big with creationism and incorporated that into almost everyone of his talking points. I thought it was annoying, especially when him and my physics teacher would have bibles on there desks.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

This is just depressing. Creationist morons everywhere. Whatever happened to America being the future?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

I am sorry you had to go through that.

That is simply amazing to me that religion is still so prominent in school. I thought there were laws against such.

Did you learn much of anything in that class?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I am amazed at how many times people have slammed the Dept. of Education for the books which are used in our schools. They never stop to realize most of the country takes the lead of the Texas State School Board.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

a few things but we taught ourselves, it was student driven but the teacher would sit in the back to watch over so it stayed on subject. We would research a topic and then present it to the class via powerpoint and teach the class until most if not all could grasp it. And honestly during that and my HS years I've found that my peers were able to teach in a way more students could understand. But i think thats because we relate to each other better and because its easier to pay attention to someone when you think there a "fun kid" and not a "boring adult" when your a HS student.
edit on 2-10-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

Did you ever see something like this happen in class?

. Jessica Womack, who traveled from near Houston this month to participate in a rally before a public hearing on the books, recounted how her daughter, now 14, had been shamed by a third-grade teacher for raising her hand when the class was asked who believed in evolution.

From source article.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Kind of.. When we were in class the teacher had a surprise assembly we had to attend, when we got there they closed the doors and when it started i realized it was a Christmas play. Being a brat i got up and told the teacher who was sitting in the back that it made me uncomfortable. She laughed at me. Then I called my dad. I was able to leave pretty shortly after that

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I'm surprised that the Christian brigade hasn't shown up yet to defend why Creationism is a legitimate theory. I'm sure they'll be along shortly.

Anyways, creationism isn't science. There are no experiments or tests to perform or any evidence to view to support it. Creationism is religion. When I walk into a science classroom I expect to be taught science not religion. Believe what you want about evolution, but at least it has science backing it. If the name of the class I was walking into was named religion, I'd expect a lecture on Creationism. I wouldn't have to believe a word of it, but it would belong in that setting. You can't just say your alternate opinion to a mainstream scientific theory is science and expect to get your way.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Sad that someone would even begin to consider TEACHING this to my children...and it's not necessarily right, either (ie, I hope this becomes something that you can chose for your child to be taught or not to be taught)....

But it would be sadder still to have a situation where a parent might not KNOW this is going on, and not DO something about it, as in, teaching them correctly at home (not necessarily home schooling, mind you, just explaining your own point of view to your child and why you feel it should have been taught instead.)

- SN

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
i myself, do believe that there is a god out there. i do have faith. but, personally, i believe that god did create, and then let evolution take its course. people of RELIGION and FAITH that say the earth is 7,000 years old make me want to scream! when they are tested on the scientific inaccuracies that are in the bible, (mt ararat is almost 17,000 feet tall. noah's ark is supposed to be up there. what happened to all the water?) all they say is "well god did it, and you don't question god!" aaarrrrgh! when you ask, "well how DID god create the universe and everything?" you get NO answer. did god just say "let there be earth!" and poof! there it is?

i fear for future generations if this continues!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

blackthorne
did god just say "let there be earth!" and poof! there it is?

i fear for future generations if this continues!

I've actually debated with several posters here on ATS who believe that exact thing. They believe that God spoke the universe into existence with the phrase "Let there be light." instead of using something like the Big Bang to do it for him. It's also only a matter of time before they show up in this thread too.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I think that history and biology should just be eradicated from pre-12k schools altogether.

Just teach reading, grammar, writing, mathematics, foreign language and music.

I guarantee if students graduate with college level English skills and mathematics they will be able to figure out any college level biology course. The same thing goes with history classes.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Should we just tell them they should wash their hands after going to the bathroom because we said so.

Germs what are they?

Don't worry about it kid if you go to college they can explain there.

---------
I have to disagree with you science is very important without basic understanding at the very least everything from lightbulbs to cars remain in the magic category.

History tells us that those who forget theirs are doomed to repeat it.
edit on 2-10-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Grimpachi

Should we just tell them they should wash their hands after going to the bathroom because we said so.

Germs what are they?

Don't worry about it kid if you go to college they can explain there.

---------
I have to disagree with you science is very important without basic understanding at the very least everything from lightbulbs to cars remain in the magic category.

I guarantee that if the kids wish to learn they will. I can also guarantee that the majority of high school graduates would be far better off knowing college level calculus and English skills than knowing how meiosis works and forgetting it a week after the test.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Well I am glad you can guarantee that. Now do you have any evidence to support your statement or should we take it on faith?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Not only is "creation science" an oxymoron, but it becomes a form of child abuse once integrated into a school curriculum.

"Creation science" flies in the face of facts!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

OrphanApology
I think that history and biology should just be eradicated from pre-12k schools altogether.

I guarantee if students graduate with college level English skills and mathematics they will be able to figure out any college level biology course. The same thing goes with history classes.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever read. Childhood is the phase of life where people tend to be the most curious about things. Why would we refrain from sating that curiosity because a bunch of idiotic religious people don't understand the scientific method and don't want their children to do so either? Also HISTORY? You actually struck a nerve there since I enjoy history, but regardless. People need to be aware of history and they should learn it whenever possible, otherwise we are doomed to repeat it. If anything, they need to take get rid of the PG version of history that they teach in grade school, at least in high school. Thank god you don't create the school curriculum.
edit on 2-10-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

OrphanApology

I'm sorry, but as a History graduate and the husband of a teacher I have to say that that is the stupidest thing I've heard for some time on this site.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

AngryCymraeg

OrphanApology

I'm sorry, but as a History graduate and the husband of a teacher I have to say that that is the stupidest thing I've heard for some time on this site.

Well as a science/finance major and someone who was home schooled and self-taught after the age of 11, I am going to have to say I do not agree with you.

I was taught nothing more than reading, writing, grammar and basic mathematics. I was accepted into college and had far higher grades than many of my peers. If you don't have the basics of education then you will struggle through school.

It's difficult for institutional learners to understand that the public school system isn't the only route to education. Thinking of a grade school education that isn't filled with historical errors is impossible for the majority of people who have gone through public education.

Who invented the telephone again?
edit on 2-10-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join