It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nancy Pelosi urges ‘no’ vote on funding for veterans’ benefits during govt. shutdown

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

While the House was debating a bill this afternoon to provide funds for veterans’ benefits, including disability payments, the GI Bill and VA home loans, the Senate was getting packed up and ready to head home, having adjourned for the day. That means the government shutdown will continue for at least a second day, but it also means the Senate will likely find a clean continuing resolution on its desk tomorrow morning that protects funding for veterans’ benefits. That should be an easy vote, right?

Maybe not. Rep. Nancy Pelosi is suggesting that the Senate should reject anything less than a continuing resolution that funds the entire government. Pelosi says anything less is “using” veterans as a bargaining chip; Rep. Steve Stockman (R-Texas) says the idea that the Senate could vote it down is “sick.”

and they voted it down?

House #Democrats just told America's veterans they don't rate ahead of #Obamacare. Very sad. #FairnessForAll
Rep Doug Collins

Democrats just curb-stomped veterans. Because Obama told them to.
Rep. Steve Stockman

twitchy.com...

So, the democrats retaliate against the republicans for the shutdown by holding disabled veterans hostage.Things are getting crazy over there in Washington.I don`t know how any of these people expect to get re-elected,they are crapping on everyone.
edit on 1-10-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I'm thinking she was among those personally pissed about the WW-II vets not having their day totally ruined by the little child's games her and Boehner and Reid are all playing here. Congress....Grow Up!!!

link   

House #Democrats just told America's veterans they don't rate ahead of #Obamacare

Boo, Hoo! I'm a veteran and I don't think this is the end of the world. Republicans need to stop throwing a tantrum and trying to destroy the whole country for their own pig-headedness.

link   
Add one that states ACA is fully defunded and voting to table this amendment is a public admission to treason.

All in the wording.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Splash two.

1. The Individual Mandate is more important than the entire government operation.

2. The Individual Mandate is more important than Veterans' benefits.

Something ain't right here.

But then again, we have Obama L.L.C., and Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi.

Yep --- now it makes sense.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

That is interesting since she was a "no vote" for HR. 3210 (the bill that put into place a stop-gap for the military). What an clown she is.

ETA:
It was 8 democrats in the House that did the "no vote" thing....what a coward.
edit on 1-10-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

CB328

House #Democrats just told America's veterans they don't rate ahead of #Obamacare

Boo, Hoo! I'm a veteran and I don't think this is the end of the world. Republicans need to stop throwing a tantrum and trying to destroy the whole country for their own pig-headedness.

How 'bout we blame both parties. Seems more fitting to me. Go-Go Tea Party!! WooHoo!!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

CB328

Because Democrats are acting oh so mature? Okay...I understand now what we are up against....

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

They said that the shutdown will only affect non essential services.It seems to me that making sure the veterans get the benefits that they sacrificed for is a pretty essential service.Without those veterans there wouldn`t be a congress or a washington D.C. for those congress people to go to hash out their petty differences.

Basically they are saying: Thanks for your service, sorry about that TBI but your on your own, we could approve a continuation of your benefits while we are working this shutdown out but we aren`t going to because you guys make perfect hostages to bargain for.

That`s just deliberately and intentionally crapping on the vets, IMHO.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Great. I experienced a MST in the military....

And now my own government is going to violate and abuse me to?

CdT

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
All kidding aside, as a vet myself, I'm mostly in agreement with the intent of CB328's reply. Your point about being taken hostage hits a nerve though ... and you're right. I DON'T like being made a pawn of in this game. I've done my time and I want uncle shoog to leave me alone now.

This whole shutdown thing is a sham IMO. Their next milestone is, as Nancy said, the four day work week. Everything else is distraction.
edit on 2102013 by Snarl because: Format headaches

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I don't know how you can be a veteran without realizing, at some point during your service, that the government doesn't care about you.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
If you want funding it is simple reduce the pay and benefits of gov workers (including you and your ilk Nancy) to the average of comparable public sector positions.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

The White House also rejected the bills in advance.

“How does the White House justify signing the troop funding bill, but vetoing similar measures for veterans, National Parks, and District of Columbia? The President can't continue to complain about the impact of the government shutdown on veterans, visitors at National Parks, and DC while vetoing bills to help them. The White House position is unsustainably hypocritical."

www.foxnews.com...

He makes a valid point, the money is there for those things and they have the power to distribute those funds but they made a deliberate decision not to,they are going to just sit on that money.
It`s not like they have to go and borrow that money, they will continue to collect the payroll taxes even during the shutdown so they will have the money to fund those things.

edit on 2-10-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   

AlliumIslelily
I don't know how you can be a veteran without realizing, at some point during your service, that the government doesn't care about you.

Maybe it's you who should realize that it's not really a government anymore.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
So....

Senate- "Let's write this stuff in here so that if they don't approve it, it cuts funding for veteran care."
House- "We're not passing it because it just plain sucks."
Senate- "So you're against taking care of veterans? See those Republicans want to cut your support off!!!"

Logic- It's deceitful and dirty tactics being used by the Democrat party, they're not "democratic" by the way, if you haven't noticed- though you should have by now, to get what they want: into your pocket so they can spread the wealth around. Doesn't matter though if you have $1000 or $1000000000, they want it.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

Dems are being stupid here and certainly Nancy "This is the big league" is not using her head. lol

The dems should have passed this funding and got it off the table as soon as possible, with all speed. The dems have this idea that the only political power is in numbers and numbers should be respected as per their whole idea of 'democracy" in the progressive mindset. The upper hand gets, takes what it wants. They forget that they control only two parts of the thing right now. Control they lost in the last election process, that they are ranting about right now.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
So...it's okay to starve a kid by taking away his food, yet vet cuts bad.
Those malnourished kids could have grown up to be cannon fodder for the oil/gas corporations and then be vets themselves.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
yea pelosi has dementcia , god people at her age cant drive let alone be in her position. like i have said before what we need in washington dc , is a nuke to wipe them all out & give states local control as was intended then shutdown doesnt matter at all

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

You must also be in perfect health and not going to college on the G.I. Bill. I'm currently not using benefits either, but that is only recently. Up until last spring I was utilizing my G.I. Bill that I earned through my service, if I was still in college this semester I would be screwed for my tuition and living expenses. I imagine this is even worse for veterans who have service related injuries and rely on veteran assistance for medical care and disability payments. Try thinking about other people instead of just yourself here.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join