It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA is preparing to launch a 3-D printer into space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
They call it a "game changer"

This is getting more and more interesting all the time. imagine the implications for this in the NOW. It's not going to be long until were going to be looking back on our past and saying to ourselves, "Its kind of hard to remember what i did without this"

3-D printing could be a game-changer for space travel, allowing astronauts to create supplies and replacement parts on the fly.

"Imagine an astronaut needing to make a life-or-death repair on the International Space Station," said Aaron Kemmer, CEO of Made in Space. "Rather than hoping that the necessary parts and tools are on the station already, what if the parts could be 3-D printed when they needed them?"

"We're going to build a Death Star," he joked softly, referring to the giant space station in the "Star Wars" movies that could blow up planets. "Then it's all going to be over."

NASA is studying a technology known as "3D-Printable spacecraft", which is one of 30 potentially revolutionary technologies NASA is working on. The idea is to collect science data by embedded electronic devices.

A Moon base. Architecture firm Foster + Partners have paired with The European Space Agency to investigate the possibility of a 3D printed moon habitat. The material used in the printing process would be moon dust and soil that would be layered to form a building block, not unlike concrete. This method would save us from the challenge of transporting raw building materials.

Were going to see structures on other planets and moons built for us before we even get there ourselves, amazing.

www.wipo.int...

news.msn.com...

www.3ders.org...

blog.ted.com...
edit on 1-10-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

This is very cool. First thing that comes to mind is if they can combine it with one of those Japanese robots they could have a walking fix-it robot just like Stargate Universe had for the Destiny.

And then, then... well if it was me I'd make a gun. (Just kidding, be too hard to get the gunpowder.)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
As a kid I always wondered if the future would hold a device that could give us what we need at the push of a button-when watching the Jetson's if anyone knows what I'm talking about. A hamburger and fries please - pops it out. An Ibupropion please - no problem. Just wait - someone will come up with a device for foods and meds for the average household one day. I can't believe how far we have come just from the 70's. the growth is alarming.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

We don't have to worry about getting simple equipment to space anymore, hell if we have one on an other planet we can design it to use the planets dirt or something for material to build with

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

3D printers designing 3D printers designing 3D printers....

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
My Dad owned and operated a copier repair service and sales company for over 20 years and then sold it and went to work for a large copier company. They just purchased a 3-D printer and my Dad is being trained in its use and the company will begin marketing it. He was able to bring home some of the items they made from it and gave it to my oldest son (11) It is a very awesome machine.

top topics

join