It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will you get Obamacare, YES or NO?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
I keep seeing these insanely high quotes upwards of $15,000.

Is that JUST your premium? Seriously? You people would be paying over a grand a month? Do you people have litters of children that need coverage?

I understand about the 5k deductible -- but don't include that in the "cost" because the chances of you ever meeting it or needing to meet it are low.

What is the AVERAGE MONTHLY cost for you people getting quotes? Don't include the deductible, don't include the yearly cap. Just the monthly premium please.

when my wife was working a year ago, her boss was paying 1300 per months for healthcare for a family of three, so that figure sounds about right, although we had great insurance which i doubt you will get for that money now.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I managed to sign up and received an 'access denied - you do not have permission to etc'.

Texas isn't expanding Medicaid and it seems I'll qualify for an exemption due to the % of cost to income. I was going to simply pay the fine this year since I can't seem to get my questions answered such as:

I'm 41 and do NOT plan on having more children; do I HAVE to have maternity coverage?

Is dental included? If it is, can I still use my dental discount plan?

Do I get to keep my current doctor or do I have to choose a new one? I have a f'ing FANTASTIC osteopath and I would commit a crime just about to keep seeing her.

Will someone call and bug me constantly if I'm running late for annual checkups, paps, bloodwork, etc, like Medicaid/THS? Will the insurance pollice come and drag me off for a pelvic exam if I haven't gone when they think I should?

Yes, yes, I know: I'm one of those wonderful ADD folks who overthinks things!

Edited to add that I currently am a 'cash and carry' type of patient; the folks at the doc & dentist love me for the less paperwork.
edit on 10/2/2013 by TrivetTheFool because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by apoc36

Obama care ? No !

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I just don't get this whole thing. I thought the idea was to allow everyone healthcare and that this would be done through an increase in taxes but all it is is another insurance company like any other that you have to pay huge premiums to participate... Just seems like another move by the government in controlling the private sector.

Oh yeah, considering that I refuse to pay for insurance now I don't see their brand as a better option. So, no.
edit on 2-10-2013 by rocktsar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Just for fun I went to the CA Exchange and "previewed" a plan for my family. Well, it took about 6 refresh's to load the actual plan overview with the following result:

$5000 deductible + almost $600 in monthly fee's for a less-than-good bronze plan? That is about 75% more than I would have to pay on my current company offered plan and I have a "gold" plan!

SO DEFINITILY: NOOOOOOOO!!!!
edit on 2-10-2013 by flyandi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Uh, no. I'm moving to a country that has an actual healthcare system. As opposed to our for-profit barbarism.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The question of this thread really makes no sense. There is no "obamacare" to get.

If you live in the United States, you are participating in "obamacare". Whether you have insurance from your employer, buy private insurance outside of the exchanges, buy private insurance within the exchanges, on medicare/Medicaid, or you pay the fine for not having any of the above...you are participating in "obamacare".

Sure, there will be those that don't buy insurance and don't pay the fine...but I don't think many of them...but they really have no control over this since the IRS will eventually fine them or send them to collections.

So the answer for everyone in this thread, if they live in the United States is "Yes" (unless you are part of an exempted group like Native Americans, etc.).

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by apoc36

No. I have health care through my employer. And if I didn't have that, I could fall back on VA care, I think. If I didn't have either, I'd prefer to shop for myself instead of going through Federally-approved "exchanges." I did a little shopping today as an experiment and found a pretty good plan on my own, with no help from healthcare.gov, but it does not meet the Obamacare standards. That means I would incur a tax penalty next year if this were my only insurance. (What Congress called a penalty so they wouldn't be raising taxes, the Supreme Court called a tax so it would be Constitutional. I call it a tax penalty to cover all my bases.) I found a number of plans that do meet Obamacare minimums, but I cannot afford them. Maybe there are affordable plans without the tax penalty available at the exchange, but I refuse to give them any personal information and they will not show me any plans until I do.

This is my first "real world" experience with Obamacare, actually seeing how it would affect me. As far as I can tell, the end result is the government collecting personal information in order to connect me to a government-approved seller, and if I don't buy their product, or some other expensive product I cannot afford, the IRS will penalize me for it. There may be some really beneficial aspects of the law I am missing, but all I see is the government choosing winners and losers in the marketplace, then forcing us into that market.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

Wrong. The answer is "hell no ,never" let the irs try to come for me

U sir need to step up with the rest of us and tell the u.s. gov and irs, and all the alphabet soup companies we are sick and tired and that this bs will not stand!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Some people do not understand that other can not afford to pay out even 50 dollars a month, for what ends up being coverage they can't even use.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
HELL NO,
In 3 years i get medicare.
And i am on disability now and have no taxable income so the IRS can not come after me.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

AlienScience

Sure, there will be those that don't buy insurance and don't pay the fine...but I don't think many of them...but they really have no control over this since the IRS will eventually fine them or send them to collections.

Which creates another problem.

Okay, the IRS caught up with me and I owe fines and penalties with interest.

So when so much of my money is going to pay these penalties and fines how am I supposed to pay for my health insurance from this point forward and cover fines from previous years?

IRS fees and penalties are not unlike credit penalties. I'd never catch up.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
No NO, and NO!

If its forced upon me, I will make sure to qualify exempt under their idiot exemptions. I will not wear a Burke eithor.

Do not send your Fed Taxes and don't sign up for Barry Sotero Care. Enough.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Another_Nut

Wrong. The answer is "hell no ,never" let the irs try to come for me

U sir need to step up with the rest of us and tell the u.s. gov and irs, and all the alphabet soup companies we are sick and tired and that this bs will not stand!

So you are suggesting that I drop my health insurance, that I already have and really like, just to tell the government...what exactly? How dare you try to help the healthcare industry? How dare you make it so low income people can afford insurance? How dare you force the insurance companies to actually cover people and not deny them for bullcrap reasons?

No thanks, I'll keep my insurance and be well cared for...you go ahead and drop yours...to prove some kind of point. Oh yeah, make sure to pay the fine...or have fun in jail.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere

AlienScience

Which creates another problem.

Okay, the IRS caught up with me and I owe fines and penalties with interest.

So when so much of my money is going to pay these penalties and fines how am I supposed to pay for my health insurance from this point forward and cover fines from previous years?

IRS fees and penalties are not unlike credit penalties. I'd never catch up.

That would be your own problem of your own making.

Am I supposed to feel sorry for you for making a very bad decision?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This whole thing is madness, over 60 percent of the population is living paycheck to paycheck, and somehow the fed gov thinks they can suddenly afford a 30-50 percent or even larger increase on their healthcare costs.

This in an environment when the percent of the population employed is the lowest it's been since the sixties before women entered the workforce in large numbers. Wages have dropped the last decade while inflation continues. Record numbers are on food stamps and the jobs being created are low wage jobs.

The math does not work, you can't get blood from a turnip, and this will fail one way or another for that reason alone.
edit on 2-10-2013 by proximo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

I think that is true...but you have to apply for the exemption. Not sure which religions....and probably not the one I grew up in

Same with those who do not file income taxes....the exemption is not automatic.....

You have to have proof of insurance or exemption when you file your 2014 taxes....AFAIK.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Nope.

As long as I'm military, Tri-care has me and my little family, ((Wife and 5 month old) covered.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Rosinitiate
My friends mom looked at what it would cost her and because she smokes she has to pay $19,000.00......wow!

Why not just be forced to pocket 19,000.00 a year and for every 5 years if you have any major medical you can deduct the money to buy yourself a Lamborghini. Like what the #?

12,000.00 if she didn't smoke. So what part of this is the affordable part?

Oh.....I get it........Like Hope and Change. Everyone's a comedian, apparently presidents too. Wow, is this not exactly what my grams used to say to me?

Don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining.

edit on 1-10-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-10-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

Your friend's mom didn't look in an exchange nor see how much subsidies she could receive. Not only tax credits but also help with deductables. From what I have seen the plans are very reasonsonable and people up to 50K a year get breaks on basic plans.

I don't know (actually I do know) where people are getting these absurd - third and forth hand numbers.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Are you sure you, too, won't get thrown under the bus like so many others?
All the retirees, former full time workers....and all the others who were told "you can keep the coverage you have"

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join