It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012/2013 Winter Storm Names for USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
They are mostly Greek and Roman Gods and Godesses. Some pretty 'powerful' names.
The meanings of the names are at the link. Gemini and Janus most stood out to me.

Winter Storm Names from the Weather Channel

Atlas, Boreas, Cleon, Dion, Electra, Falco
Gemini, Hercules, Ion, Janus, Kronos
Leon, Maximus, Nika, Orion, Pax, Quintus
Rex, Seneca, Titan, Ulysses, Vulcan
Wiley, Xenia, Yona, Zephyr

Farmers Almanac says it's going to be a rough and cold winter. Lots of snow.
I'm thinking the same. It was a cool and wet summer.
I wonder if the names will match up to the strength of the storms that are coming ...

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Don't some people think we are headed for a mini - ice age? It's obvious the climate is changing. (rapidly)

I hope the ATSers prep and stay safe this winter. I'm in Phoenix so I'll be good even if Cali. falls into the ocean I'll be okay sitting on the beach. (with my mexican bitches...lol)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Rough cold with alot of snow... the kind of winters I hate. I live up in Quebec.

But nooo, we are heading for a Global Catastrophic Manmade Jupiter-sized Warming, according to big news of the big media.

Of course, many global warmers say that "global warming models predict a small drop of worldwide temperatures"...

A small drop of temperature. Yeah, I see it, the "small" drop. I have to spend more and more money on heating because of this bloody "small" drop, "caused by global warming".

edit on 1-10-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Firstly, you should change your title to 2013/2014 since 2012 is gone, and it says so at your link.

Secondly to everyone else, these are not official storm names. There is no official agency that names winter storms. The Weather Channel is taking it upon themselves to start naming storms.

No major weather station, weather organization, official or otherwise, will recognize or use these storm names advertised by The Weather Channel. And so far, no major news organization such as CNN, Fox, USA Today, etc. have used the winter storm names either.

The National Hurricane Center is the only official organization in the U.S. that names storms for our part of the world, and those named storms are only for tropical storms and hurricanes. There are very strict and definitive guidelines on whether a storm is called a tropical depression, tropical storm, or hurricane.

There are zero guidelines on this new winter storm naming from The Weather Channel. The Weather Channel gets to pick and choose which winter storm is meets their criteria to be subjected to a name.

Like many are calling for, boycott The Weather Channel's winter storm naming, and don't use their storm names. The Weather Channel is trying to use their winter storm naming for publicity and revenue. Real weather forecasters do not.

An alternative to The Weather Channel is Weather Nation TV. Weather Nation TV will seem very familiar to fans of The Weather Channel as it's almost a copy, however, Weather Nation TV does all weather like The Weather Channel used to before it started getting away from weather like MTV got away from playing music videos.

I personally get all my weather from the NWS and NOAA. But if I do watch weather, it is from Weather Nation TV. They broadcast on many cable systems, live stream on their website, as well as have Android and iPhone apps for live streaming.

Here's their website:

www.weathernationtv.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

_BoneZ_
Firstly, you should change your title to 2013/2014 since 2012 is gone, and it says so at your link.
Secondly to everyone else, these are not official storm names.

Firstly ... attitude much???

Obviously I transcribed the years wrong. I can't change it now.
But I"m sure people can figure out that I mean this winter.

I didn't say they were 'official storm names' for the country. I just gave the names that the
Weather Channel is using. I found them interesting.

When I was growing up in Connecticut, the local CBS station would name the winter storms. That has been going on for at least 40 years. They still use their own names and not the Weather Channel names. The Weather Channel names every clipper that comes through the country. It's kinda silly.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Idk the past 10 years or so they predict one thing and it ends up something different for instance they say its gonna b a hot long summer and it ends up being hot for about a month then the rain and cool set in they have to change it 100 times i don't really think they know and to predict it is all it is a prediction. I'm preparing for it all so I'm not side swiped in the middle hoping for the best and preparing for the worse
edit on 0am02130uWed, 02 Oct 2013 07:46:32 -0500kAmerica/ChicagoWed, 02 Oct 2013 07:46:32 -0500 by LadyLurker because: miss spelled a word

top topics

join