It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cassini finds ‘plastic’ on a Saturn moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

The NASA’s Cassini spacecraft made a remarkable discovery when it found a plastic ingredient –propylene - on Titan, Saturn’s largest moon. This marks the first time the material has been detected on another world.

"This is the first definitive detection of the plastic ingredient on any moon or planet, other than Earth," NASA said in a press release.

Propylene is the first molecule to be discovered on Titan, the second largest moon in our Solar System, using Cassini's Composite Infrared Spectrometer (CIRS).

rt.com...

How would plastic like substance get on Titan? Possible space junk falling to the surface? I would think it would have burned up on entry..? But I'm not sure if Titan would work the same way in that regard as Earth would with the atmosphere.

It would seem to be a natural process for Titan and since Titan is full of chemicasl may be we will see other familiar type of products there.

Pretty interesting and I thought I would share it with you guys.

*thumbs up emoticon*

-SAP-
edit on 1-10-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
it is not plastic but is used in it's manufacture.

Propene, also known as propylene or methylethylene, is an unsaturated organic compound having the chemical formula C3H6.

Propene is produced naturally by vegetation, particularly certain tree species. It is also a product of combustion, from forest fires and cigarette smoke to motor vehicle and aircraft exhaust. It is an impurity in some heating gases.

Propene is the second most important starting product in the petrochemical industry after ethylene. It is the raw material for a wide variety of products. Manufacturers of the plastic polypropylene account for nearly two thirds of all demand

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

It's interesting that it's on Titan and there is no vegetation or trees there...

-SAP-

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Already posted yesterday, right in this very forum:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Search = so very, very friendly.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

SloAnPainful

It's interesting that it's on Titan and there is no vegetation or trees there...

-SAP-

Which goes to show that we're all made of stars

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

SloAnPainful

-SAP-

It's just carbon and hydrogen.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Original Here

Closing duplicate

Semper

top topics

join