It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would happen if there was no G0vernement WHAT SO EVER???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yea those starving people in the city totally won't leave when the food runs out and head to the countryside at all looking for food... You'd have to live in a pretty remote part of the country to not see any noticeable effect if the government were to disappear tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Look inside your mind... that's what lack of government often looks like.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Most of them wont. Not only are they all hungry but they're all fat, weak and lazy and will turn on themselves first.

It would be months before one of them realized the train wasnt coming and took it upon himself to walk up here and over a mountain range just to freeze to death in search of food.

Governments have collapsed over and over and nowhere has it resulted in absolute chaos for everyone. Likewise cities loose power for 12 hours and every neanderthal is out looting VCR's and Heineken.

Let the cities burn. I'd like the peace and quiet.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

Not quite

Mormonism is a hierarchical Church led by a group of full-time "General Authorities" who oversee the Church at the highest levels, but most Church leaders are lay members of the congregation who receive no payment for their services. The Church is presided over by a President, who is assisted by two counselors. Together, this group is called the First Presidency. These three men are responsible for everything that the Church does, and are the final authority in matters of Church doctrine and Church discipline.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Larken Rose wrote a brilliant e-book on exactly this subject. It's free and available online. Search for 'The Most Dangerous Superstition'.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Most of them wont. Not only are they all hungry but they're all fat, weak and lazy and will turn on themselves first.

While it is true that obesity is a problem in American, this last sentence is a gross stereotype. I happen to live in Baltimore, MD and can personally tell you that not everyone in a city is fat, weak, and lazy. You are right that many people in the cities will start tearing each other apart as they devolve into some sort of gang warfare though.

It would be months before one of them realized the train wasnt coming and took it upon himself to walk up here and over a mountain range just to freeze to death in search of food.

Months? Lol, try a few days if that. The first people you will see are the ones from the suburbs fleeing the chaos as it flows closer and closer to them. Eventually the inner cities will be torn to shreds and all resources consumed. The gangs will start heading out into the countryside as well.

Governments have collapsed over and over and nowhere has it resulted in absolute chaos for everyone. Likewise cities loose power for 12 hours and every neanderthal is out looting VCR's and Heineken.

Let the cities burn. I'd like the peace and quiet.

You overlook one very common occurrence when governments fall. The warlord. Eventually, some guy will start to accumulate power and start to collect an army. Heck he may even raid an abandoned army base to get supplies. This warlord will then go on a path of conquest to claim as much territory as possible. Also he won't be the only one. With a country as big as ours, expect at least one warlord to emerge from just about every area in the country with many residents living near each other.

Also I can tell you right now that if the government were to disappear forever tomorrow, I would immediately vacate the city (for the very same reasons we are having this conversation). I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one. The initial waves of people you will see will probably be peaceful, but it that won't last. Also you will have to deal with many more people than you did before.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'm with those who say a little confusion at first but then each state will take over and become it's own country. Police, firemen, etc are all paid for with local funds not federal, so they will continue as always. So there won't be anarchy in the streets.
The states and towns that depend heavily on federal money will have it the worst with a huge unemployment problem. However, each state will need an army and other workers to fill in the gaps left by the federal government. Many government workers will have to relocate to find employment.
Welfare is handed out by the states, so that will continue, as will medicaid.
Those dependent on social security or federal pensions will be totally screwed, but probably move in with families or kill themselves.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

what would happen is that people would be free to organize and govern themselves via non coercive systems.

ignore the bleating of the sharp toothed sheeple telling you you NEED government, a BIG LIE if I ever heard one, told by those who feed on the system and on you.

Stefan Molyneux's "The Fascists That Surround You pt 1-6" [playlist]
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Wealthy people would cease to exist for a time.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
What would it be like with No Government at all? Oh, that's easy. The world calls the place Somalia and it's just north of Kenya on a map. A big pimple on the otherwise scenic coast of Africa.

I hear it's a nice place except for people living there.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

There is no one addressing your post so for the sake of argument I will.

Contrary to popular belief here, the Government is not a big bad evil entity that needs to be abolished.

Well you have to agree that all governments are not created equally. Governments who cannot justify their authority have no right to govern, some governments deserve to be abolished/replaced. I do not think you would have posted your comment if you lived under the Khmer Rouge.

If you look at our government or other western governments sure they are not nearly as oppressive as the Nazis, or Iran. However they are still amoral entities, the very nature of the decisions that have to be made within government can swing so greatly that one could either applaud them or abhor them, simply having a democracy does not guarantee a moral government.

A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. - Lysander Spooner

We need Government to be a functioning society.

Not necessarily. Maybe in today's world, but if that is so then it is the fault of our leaders that we need such an authority.

We need Police departments, Fire departments, Medical Emergency services.

Sure but they do not necessarily have to come from government. The same could be said for organizations like the EPA, FDA, and the USDA.

We'd be so worse off without our big bad evil government that after 3 days of pure anarchy a lot of you would be crying and trying to form some sort of functioning government.

If you come from the position of "government magically disappearing tomorrow" than sure it would be chaos. But if you have a long term plan to limit the size of government over time with the endgame of a leaderless society where private entities provide all necessary services it is at least possible.

The only problems I could see is that other nations would take advantage of the statelessness of another and attempt to conquer it. However with the way that technology is developed now days it is not outside the realm of possibility that private defense companies could provide militias with the ability to defend their property.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What would it be like with No Government at all? Oh, that's easy. The world calls the place Somalia and it's just north of Kenya on a map.

Somalia does have a government.

Its just corrupt.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
If there was no government we would devolve into a tribal system. Society will become decentralized, it is essentially anarchy. Whereas democracy is mob rule on a large scale, tribal warfare is mob rule on the small scale. Thats not really a good thing IMO. Its a major step backwards as a civilization.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Anarchy

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

I suppose we all define Government a bit differently then. Many outlets around the world simply call Somalia lawless, which is true, IMO, if not strictly accurate. The civilian..whatever it is in the Capital seems pretty relative though.

I was quite sad to recently see Doctors without Borders, of all people, pulling up stakes and saying screw everyone to Somalia on their way out. Now for that group? It takes unthinkable hardship to bail out. Regular hardship is what they run TO ...not from. I say sad, because I know there are kids in Somalia...and families. Some folks not in with one side or another of the fighting... Well, I think there are anyway.

Odds favor it, you have to admit. errr...

Doctors Without Borders To Pull Out Of Somalia

I think of this as running the Salvation Army out of the bad part of town or chasing the ambulance service clear out of the country, actually. That would be about accurate for how much is left I suppose.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I think we'd end up being far far better off. But the only challenge is some other country might come in and try and invade.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Hm. No government? No government = chaos. You see that all the time. When given the opportunity, people will steal, vandalize, overlook safety (like carelessly transporting contaminants near civilian habitations), you name it. It'll give chaos. But eventually it'll crystallize into an ever darker society. Let me show you:

Once upon a time, in Italy, the local feudal system crashed. The people stuck with each other in big, grand "families". Laws were re-written "for the people".

Today, these "families" are also called the Sicilian Mafia.

Nothing good will come out of total chaos.

spartacus699
I think we'd end up being far far better off. But the only challenge is some other country might come in and try and invade.

Indeed. That's what happened during the French Revolution. The Reign of Terror was also a result of this revolution. During this Reign of Terror, all those who actually opposed anarchy were killed. "Anarchy" parties actually became the new, autocratic government, which even killed pioneer scientists. The parties began to kill the opposition's members.

No a very bright future at all.

edit on 1-10-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The show "Jericho" comes to mind. The community does pretty good for a while, but then the big bad boys come to try and take over. Black markets and hoarding, and blackmailing for necessary supplies.

A different kind of evil would become the norm.
edit on 1-10-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Skyfloating
Response to the Title of the Thread: What then happens is Anarchy. Whether that works out well depends on how civilized and smart the people are. I dont think we`re ready for that just yet. Give it another 500 years.

Civilization has to start over yet again..as always, but if one is talking just about the USA, there would be social unrest..panic. What is everyone going to try to do; cash in on their investments, breaking the banks (because every single dollar you have invested is invisible (invested in something else that is still awaiting its maturity or interest). Oh well. Getting back to rebooting civilization, most everyone has to die first. In the past catastophies (volcanic, earthquakes, floods, starvation) these cities/mini republics of the past were isolated from each other geographically, and minimal damage occured to the 'Realm', that did not have almost 7 billion souls occupying it; as I see it the US economy fails its a matter of time before the dominoes fall in line..China goes first; as we are its major export/importer. What was the population of the earth during Noahs time of the flood (that was an easy killing).

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Hm. No government? No government = chaos. You see that all the time. When given the opportunity, people will steal, vandalize, overlook safety (like carelessly transporting contaminants near civilian habitations), you name it.

You make it sound like that in a stateless society consequences for immoral actions would not exist. If you owned a business would you offer your services to a known thief or murderer? Would you not have the ability to defend your property against vandalism or theft?

Once upon a time, in Italy, the local feudal system crashed. The people stuck with each other in big, grand "families". Laws were re-written "for the people".

This is similar to the comparison to Somalia.

Even though the feudal system collapsed in Sicily there was still a government they simply did not have the manpower to enforce the contracts, so private landowners had to find other sources of protection from the rampant crime in the region. So they turned to criminal organizations who in all honesty operated exactly like their government did, i.e. collected a "tax" for the services that they provided. There was not a free market protection agency equivalent in the 18th and 19th century like there is today.

The mafia of today only exists because of the prohibitions on products which were put in place by governments.

The Reign of Terror was also a result of this revolution. During this Reign of Terror, all those who actually opposed anarchy were killed. "Anarchy" parties actually became the new, autocratic government, which even killed pioneer scientists. The parties began to kill the opposition's members.

I don't see how this is relevant as a stateless society was not the end goal of the French Revolution.
edit on 1-10-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join