It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reasons why I enjoy and keep a FB....since so many dislike it, here are some good things about FB.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I was one of those who refused to get a FB but when it became the only way to have instant contact with my husband I kind of had to give in. I honestly don't care what FB sees or whoever monitors it because it's not anything I wouldn't say to their face or elsewhere, same with what is posted here. You are never truly anonymous online.

I do keep my page private and yes I know that doesn't mean it's 100% private but it is enough for me. I don't add "Friends" to have a high number. I either personally know all my friends on FB or I know them from ATS lol.

Now why I like FB.

1. Found a long lost friend who I had lost contact with for almost 6yrs. We have been in contact ever since. I found her husband who turned out to be her ex husband, last i knew they were still married. Well he contacted her and let her know i was looking for her. She called me that night! I am so glad to have her back in my life even if she isn't in the same state. I can talk to her anytime i want.

2. Keeping in touch with family I wouldn't other wise talk with on a regular basis. I have a big family and FB makes it easy to stay in touch with all of them and it also makes it easier for both our families to see pics of our son or hear about his progress and things he has learned. Sure you could call these people but when would I have time to call about 15 different aunts and uncles, and then various cousins and grandparents?! FB is great for that kind of communication. It also makes it easy to set up times to visit.

3. I love the swip swap type groups. I made a thread on it a while back even. It's like thrift shopping online. You post in your local group what is for sale and you set up a meeting time and place with the person you purchased the item from. I've bought a lot of things for my son this way. It's not as easy as it use to be to just go thrift store shopping with him around. I can even go to these groups and post what i"m looking for and have people get back to me if they have it or know someone who does have it.

4. CUSTOMER SERVICE!! You want to get help from a company like ATT or any other company for that matter? GO to their FB and post there, they are VERY quick to respond. It is amazing how much better the customer service is when you blast them on their FB page for their problems. They are oh so willing to help you!! I use it all the time now instead of calling someone and getting a person overseas. Using their FB you get a person from that company who actually helps you.

***For example. Yesterday I tried to use my iPhone on MetroPCS, they now allow iPhones. Well I had it unlocked like they said to do and paid to have it done. I even bought a new SIM card for it. Well I did everything the instructions said and when they went to activate it it would NOT WORK. They had no idea why so I just said forget it I'll just keep my current Metro phone and wait til they sell iPhones or wait til their actual stores can activate them in house. I go to use my current Metro phone and it does NOT WORK! Long story short this started at 11:30am yesterday and ended TODAY at about the same time. It took 24hrs and me having to change my number to get my original phone working. They still have no idea why it wouldn't work nor what happened. I had to buy Skype credits to call them and was on the phone an HOUR with them this morning when I found out I couldnt take incoming calls and my 4g wasn't working. Last night i could make calls I just didn't know i couldn't receive them. So 24hrs later they fixed it and this all started with me going to their website on FB and posting a not so nice message. I had called CS so many times and got disconnected, people who couldn't speak English or they didn't know what they were doing. I was literally in tears at one point because I was so frustrated. After all this though I don't have a phone bill for TWO MONTHS! They gave me so much credit which in a way made changing my number worth it lol...

So what i"m saying is I never would have gotten this far with Customer Service. I tried!! They are very quick to respond on FB. I had ATT charging me for MONTHS for a home phone i Did not have yet when I called they wouldnt do anything and insisted I had a phone, which I didn't. I went to their FB page and got help INSTANTLY! They fixed the account and i never got another collection call or letter from ATT saying i owed them 300 bucks for a phone line I didn't have!

Again..FB seems to be the "go to" place for Customer Service grievances. I have found that calling just doesnt work anymore esp with all the outsourcing.

5. Book clubs!! I am part of a monthly book swap for moms. We swap books on our state or country with other moms so their kids can learn about new places. I think it's great and Liam will have all these books on various states and countries!

Those are some of the reasons I actually LIKE FB. Sure there are things I hate about it like the "Stalker Feed," if you have FB you KNOW what I'm talking about. I hide it because I don't care to see or know what my friends are posting to their friends or other pages, it's actually none of my business.

So if you have FB what do you LIKE about it..

This thread is NOT for the "FB is a government data mining agency" crap. I know this already and could careless at this point.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I don't have a fb ;( but i wish I knew where to sign up for the book swap!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I bucked Facebook for a long time but finally caved during the big springtime DDOS attack on ATS earlier this year. I don't post a lot of stuff on there but I very much appreciate the instant private messaging!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

ezekielken
I don't have a fb ;( but i wish I knew where to sign up for the book swap!!!

I love that group! A friend of mine was in it and added me to it. It's all moms!

The girl who is in charge of it does an EXCELLENT job making sure everyone gets their books. She is super organized, which I like.

I have a lady in Michigan this month with 4 kids. You only have to get one book per family but since she has 4 kids at different ages I'm going to get a kids book and a book for teens. I have on my FB that I'm located in Paris, France lol so I also send this cute book I found on Paris as well. It's a bonus and i don't have to send it but I love books. Give me a book any day over an e-reader!

There are also sticker clubs just like the book club. I haven't joined that one.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

littled16
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I bucked Facebook for a long time but finally caved during the big springtime DDOS attack on ATS earlier this year. I don't post a lot of stuff on there but I very much appreciate the instant private messaging!

The instant private messaging is the only instant way besides the phone my husband and I can talk. It's very instant!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
what is this?, facebook guilt club?

FB is over a decade old, does everyone not know the pros & cons by now?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I am anti-Facecrook and will remain so as long as possible. I still say the bad outweighs the good.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Thanks for this, Mblah. You make a good case. Especially the part about customer service. S&F.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

six67seven
what is this?, facebook guilt club?

FB is over a decade old, does everyone not know the pros & cons by now?

I believe I stated at the bottom what type of thread this WASNT!!

Take your negativity elsewhere. Thanks. bye.

Also why even click on something you clearly don't like? To be negative?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Wires
I am anti-Facecrook and will remain so as long as possible. I still say the bad outweighs the good.

Yea if that is the case for you then that is cool.

For me it seems the good out weigh the bad for me. Trust me I still dislike what FB is about but the things I do like about it keep me there.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Klassified
Thanks for this, Mblah. You make a good case. Especially the part about customer service. S&F.

Yea I have gotten much further with their CS on FB than via phone or email! I even had one Metro person call me today to check on my services. I was shocked! LOL

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
the only thing I liked about facebook were some of the games, they were nice time killers. facebook deleted my account after they found out i used fake info to sign up. that was about 5-6 years ago, i haven`t bothered to make another account, i don`t miss facebook.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Tardacus
the only thing I liked about facebook were some of the games, they were nice time killers. facebook deleted my account after they found out i used fake info to sign up. that was about 5-6 years ago, i haven`t bothered to make another account, i don`t miss facebook.

I have never played FB games. I block all invites lol They annoy me!

If I didn't use FB to talk to my husband I'd more than likely still not have a FB.

I can't stand how they run the site but there are many things that they have nothing to do with that I do like about FB, all of which I mentioned above.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Tardacus

That's weird; how did they find out you are using fake info?
I joined FB once also only for the games, and of course the name and all info was fake. Funny thou, they never seemed to care.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteHat

i don`t know, i thought that was really strange too,but that`s what it said in the E-mail they sent me notifying me that they were deleting my account.
i signed up using the name Thomas J Jackson and used a picture like this:

I guess since he is dead they knew that I couldn`t possibly be him.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I've had a Facebook account for quite some time now but that's been exclusively for my son to play some of the time sink games with his mother separately. It wasn't until the last couple weeks and becoming involved with something new where it's a required part of things that I've used it personally.

I don't mind using Facebook, and will never make the mistake of assuming anything I do or say, regardless of privacy settings, is actually private in any meaningful way. If one takes that approach? I don't see the harm. It's people who think the word privacy means something in that environment who get in real trouble, quick IMO.

Having said that, when it's not something that the inter-connectivity of Facebook as a unique atmosphere, can offer? I still strongly favor a website built for whatever purpose it is. Control over security and loss or tampering with data is absolute (in knowing it happened, if nothing else could be stopped) and as neat as Facebook is for tailored apps? Hmmm... A little dedicated site can still offer a Wal-Mart's selection of choices for features to drop in or add easily vs. the 'Corner Market' of FB. Just my opinion ... but it's a great thing where the social interaction to brand new people is really important.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I know there are many opinions of Facebook,pro and con. But for me,it expanded and changed my life.
Not talking about family,but the great friends I have met.
People I would have not met otherwise.
And the freedom to express myself.
A door was opened to a person I thought I had lost long ago.
I rediscovered myself.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I have to admit that I am on my facebook quite a lot.

It is great for sharing information!

Plus I am quite addicted to candycrush ' damn level 184 I will defeat you!!!'

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

kdog1982
I know there are many opinions of Facebook,pro and con. But for me,it expanded and changed my life.
Not talking about family,but the great friends I have met.
People I would have not met otherwise.
And the freedom to express myself.
A door was opened to a person I thought I had lost long ago.
I rediscovered myself.

That is how I feel. I have had a friend who I met via a Myspace group 8yrs ago that i still talk to regularly from Canada. She is like my sister from another mother. If it wasn't for Myspace we never would have met and if it wasn't for FB we wouldn't be in touch like we are now. I consider her one of my best friends even though we've never met.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I have a facebook account but I deleted 1/2 the 'friends' that I had on it. There were about 40 or 50 ATSers (I can't remember how many) that I had friended. But then I got to thinking ... I really don't know people here that well at all ... so I deleted them all. I thought it was safer. If any of them turned out to be whacko, I didn't think it would be a good thing to have them as 'friends' on facebook. I'm more careful now. Just neighbors and family.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join