It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives Appropriating Eachother's Stupidity: People Boycotting Barilla After CEO's Anti-Gay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Conservatives Appropriating Eachother's Stupidity: People Boycotting Barilla After CEO's Anti-Gay Statements

Please note there are about 125 Billion Flying F's I could not give about your opinion on the actual topic of the article, this thread is to discuss group behaviour and people encouraging collective un-education and social appropriation of bad behaviour in other topics if possible.

Okay so for anyone who hasn't heard, The CEO of Barilla said:

I would never do (a commercial) with a homosexual family, not for lack of respect but because we don't agree with them.

(If gay people) like our pasta and our advertising, they'll eat our pasta, if they don't like it then they will not eat it and they will eat another brand.

It doesn't generally offend me at all, but I do reserve the opinion that this man is part of a faction of idiots who will die off along with the rest of the Baby Boomers, making the world that much closer to being a place where people who have opinions that don't matter at all just won't be spoken at all. After this was said, a bunch of people (most of whom are not gay, I might add) are boycotting Barilla. This isn't really what I want to discuss, though.

The problem I have, actually, is with the idiots. The idiots who get mad about people boycotting and say wonderously, awe-inspiringly idiotic things like this, and get the support of hundreds of people and not nearly enough criticism:

If you dont like Barilla's opinion, go eat another type of pasta. Geesh! You gays think the world owes you something!

^ This person got 328 likes and 18 dislikes for saying that people should stop boycotting and just.... boycott instead... because the world owes you nothing?

I mean seriously? It's one thing for one person to say it but then to get the support of all of these others? So why is it that people appropriate other peoples' stupidity just because they appear to be in the same faction? I don't see this kind behaviour happening as much on the Left as I do on the Right, I might add, although I wouldn't officially claim to subscribe to either end of the spectrum.

Source

This is the source and it's not hard to tell on arrival that it's dominated by conservatives. People will sit on this site for hours upon hours just repeating the same rhetoric that they hear on the television or from their Elmer Granty broadcast stations. Does noboy think for themselves anymore? Or do we really just read from a script and pat eachother on the back when we get the lines right?

It embarasses me to be a human being when I read some of these comments and replies on the Yahoo site, and how much support they get from eachother for saying such stupi things. I really wish people weren't so apt to be so Black & White.

Here's someone's reply to the afformentioned comment:

I'm straight and I won't be buying Barilla's pasta...thanks for the suggestion!

This reply got 6 likes and 24 dislikes. It seems like everyone just loves to hate on anyone who accepts gay people on conservative-dominated sites and anyone who goes against the gays get volleys of up-votes. This example shows someone who supports gays doing exactly what the person who doesn't support gays asks him to do, and he gets downvote hard for it jsut because he says he's on the side of the gays while doing it.

The hypocrisy is obvious.

I'm posting this because I find this actually happens quite a bit on this site as well, and I hope people can realize how childish and absolutely retarded it can make people on certain sides of the argument look.

I'd like someone to show me some examples of the Liberal side oing similar things to get that perspective as well -- an example where people get a huge amount of stars or up-votes on a different site for something that is "Dictionary stupid", plain as day.

Please note there are about 125 Billion Flying F's I could not give about your opinion on the actual topic of the article, this thread is to discuss group behaviour and people encouraging collective un-education and social appropriation of bad behaviour in other topics if possible.
edit on 1-10-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

He meant "no disrespect" he simply doesnt agree with homosexuality. Homosexuality is nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to be alarmed about, it is natural. Downs syndrome is also natural. Defects happen. Outside of defects we have those that just want to have "fun" and if that is their version of fun, let them be.

The real debate gets to the definition of marriage and just what it means. To me, it is the union that precedes offspring... something homosexuals cannot do. Homosexuality is either an innate defect or a phase in ones life. Who are we to judge them?
edit on 1-10-2013 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Are you not just as guilty of the group think mentality by assuming that only Conservatives can be homophobic??????

Sheeesh, Pot meet kettle!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Wow talk about hypocrisy
Anyone who disagrees with you and your opinion is a baby boomer, dinosaur
I am sure your sentiments are seen as equally distasteful as those made by the sauce manufacturers.

Never having eaten, never mind heard of Barilla, my comment was a sad little pun.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
How did this even come about? Why was this made an issue in the first place?

Out of the hundreds of millions of companies and products out there, I have seen ONE ad that had a gay couple.

Why was this company singled out?

It also appears to be Italy-based so maybe things are different over there. I'm just really tired of the 'You're a horrible, evil, hateful, ignorant, intolerant person if you believe in traditional marriage' mentality.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I see nothing wrong with his opinions.

The reason the comment got so much more support is because most of us believe free speech should work for everyone not just the Liberals and Gays. The majority of people are sick and tired of them telling us what we should think and how we should feel, it is backfiring people are sick of it.

I went and bought a bunch of their pasta and from the comments i've been reading on this site and other news sources so have many other people. I doubt this will hurt the company at all.

edit on 1-10-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

seeker1963

Are you not just as guilty of the group think mentality by assuming that only Conservatives can be homophobic??????

Sheeesh, Pot meet kettle!

Um, no.

Look at the site.

Yahoo used to be purple.

Then the conservatives game and they went blue.

It's not secret that Canadian Yahoo News is overrun by conservatives.

You might as well tell me that Fox News isn't conservative and call me a hypocrite for generalization. Read the comments, I wouldn't call even half of it "homophobia". It's certainly reactionism being appropriated in some form or another. Most of it has all been said before, and not by the left...

This topic was left wide open to discuss both sides of the political spectrum, are you here to contribute or just cry?

(post by LightOrange removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I'm proud of the CEO of Barilla on this one. Standing up for what they believe in even though it is not very popular at the time. I am so sick of seeing the homosexual agenda crammed down our throats (no pun intended) every time we turn around. Who gives a crap if "homosexual people" eat Barilla pasta or not ? Why all of the sudden do companies have to go out of their way to accommodate homosexuals ? It's ridiculous. If someone chooses to be homosexual it should have no bearing whatsoever on what they eat or drink or listen to. I surely do not base my meals on hetero friendly companies.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

You seem to be the only one crying! You lump all conservatives into one big category, as them hating gay people and I just pointed out that you quite possibly didn't use your noggin in your overzealous OP to scream about Conservatives hating gays and not consider the fact that there are most likely many "straight" people of many different beliefs whom are not comfortable with folks whom are gay???

Would you call "black" people whom are Conservatives "Racist" as well????

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by chadderson

Just big FYI, homosexuality is not natural nor proper. It is a very polarized topic. Homosexuals and their sympathysers insist it is natural while the rest of us insist it is not natural. Studies that suggest it is natural are obviously biased as are the studies that suggest that it is not natural. By stating that it is natural you are merely stating opinion.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

seeker1963

You seem to be the only one crying! You lump all conservatives into one big category, as them hating gay people and I just pointed out that you quite possibly didn't use your noggin in your overzealous OP to scream about Conservatives hating gays and not consider the fact that there are most likely many "straight" people of many different beliefs whom are not comfortable with folks whom are gay???

Would you call "black" people whom are Conservatives "Racist" as well????

Actually you're the one with the reading comprehension issue and the overzealous use of exclamation points to further the point you don't have.

Firstly, Conservative is a group-think whether you like it or not. Geeze, "grow a pair".

Secondly, I don't think even a quarter of the people posting on that site hate gay people, I made that very clear in the OP, did you read it? I don't think a single person who has commented actually read the OP. It's kind of pathetic.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I give you two thumbs up for that response. What difference does it make if a company has gay people in their commercials or not ? Disneyworld is very outspoken about their support for homosexuals but I still enjoy going their. But it's the whole "you either agree with me or you hate me" mentality of homosexuals now.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I guess they deserve my support for being honest. My company was asked about gay marrage and benefits my response was " Can't happen" against the law we don't break the law. Now people want to marry their horses and stuff we knew it was going to happen. Whatever it takes to get free stuff

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

NO, I buy their pasta because I am SICK of watching good wholesome people, their families and their businesses being trashed by Liberals and Gays because they believe differently.
Tired of the typical Liberal view of "your opinion only matters if I agree with it"

EVERYONE is ENTITLED to their beliefs and how dare these gay men and women and the extreme liberals try and tell me and everyone else what we should think, who we should be what we should buy etc....

I'm tired of it, im tired of the agenda being shoved down my thorat and ANY time I can help someone or their business from being trashed because they voiced their honest opinions...I will. The CEO did not trash talk gays but with the way many of the gays are acting you would think he called for them to be burned at the stake.

I will help them and any bakery, and photographer, and any business who is subject to this kind of double standard.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

S now disagreeing with the homosexual agenda makes us ignorant and judgemental ? Well it works both ways, you insist that we accept your agenda and lifestyle and opinions but ours are ignorant,,, HHHMMM, strange things are afoot at the Circle K

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Oh I got a lot of negative comments on various sites because I said I wouldn't boycott Barilla.

I like Barilla, they sell certain pastas I enjoy and just because Mr. Barilla has an opinion on something that I disagree with doesn't mean I am going to boycott his product. He has an opinion and meant no disrespect yet people want to hang him. He has a right to his opinion it doesn't mean you have to agree with it.

I actually disagree with his opinion but I will not boycott him or send him down the river for having one. He believes in tradition and sorry but tradition has been a man/woman (wether you see it that way or no), modern tradition you could say is man/man or woman/woman or man/woman. He meant no harm in what he said and I see many sites left out half of his comment to make it look appear one way, shame on them.

There are more important things in the world than some pasta ceo's opinion on gay marriage and what he views as the traditional family. In his tradition it's a man/woman and I respect that. He is old school for heavens sake. It would be like expecting my Sicilan/Italian grandfather to be ok with gay marriage. Different times and generations. I think as time goes on gay marriage won't be such an issue for many because it will become the norm for so many. I personally don't care who you marry. If you are happy that is all that matters.

Personally I'd rather see more outrage over Monsanto in the US than this kind of stuff, you know stuff that affects everyone!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Two thumbs up for that one. Everyone has the right to express their opinion unless it differs from the homosexual agenda.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join