Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

As the Government shuts down Obamacare opens for enrollments

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Love it or hate it, Obamacare is officially open for business. Obviously, the government shutdown is not effecting the opening of the Affordable Healthcare Act.

Affordable Healthcare Act

We all know this is the cause of the shutdown and it seems to be rolling out full force, I don't see this going away which begs the question, how long will the shutdown really last?

It's E-day for Obamacare.

People can now enroll in health care coverage in the Affordable Care Act insurance exchanges -- the centerpiece of Obama's landmark legislation. Coverage begins in 2014, but folks must sign up by Dec. 15 if they want coverage to begin Jan. 1.
But despite the run up to the Oct 1 launch date, Americans remain largely in the dark about the exchanges. Six in 10 people are not aware of the exchanges, according to a new survey by the Commonwealth Fund, a foundation that promotes better access to and quality of health care. Knowledge is even scanter among the uninsured -- who would most benefit from the exchanges. More than two-thirds of the uninsured are unaware of the exchanges.
Source

I believe this battle will be raging for quite a while ...

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
If it does not end in 3 days I figure it'll be shut down for at least 5 weeks, due to cause and effect.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

That doesn't seem right somehow. I'm thinking this is going to a long drawn out battle and wonder when/if we feel negative repercussions from it. I can sign up for health care on the government web site for that but when I checked to see if a local beach (Fed park) is open their website was down due to government shutdown. Guess I won't be doing that today. Anyway, maybe someone should start a thread of agencies/things that are closed, it might be interesting.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Here is the list ...

Government shutdown:
What's closed, what's open?

I cannot attest on it's accuracy, however.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Grrr... I hate it. I will probably be spending the majority of my day over on that site trying to figure out exactly what I need to do from here.

Yesterday I got a letter from my insurance telling me that my family will no longer be covered due to Obamacare and I will need to find insurance elsewhere. For the last several years my family has been covered by OPIC insurance which was created by the state of Oklahoma for folks who are self employed. What happened to "You can keep your current insurance"?

~OkieDokie

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This morning MSM news is reporting the sign up site for Obamacare is experiencing *glitches*, so go to an *in-person* place to enroll.

Only problem is, there are no *in-person* places set up to enroll. On Greta last night, she had an Obamacare WH rep on, to tell people how to sign up today. All he kept saying was to go to the sign up site. Greta then asked him what about people who don't have a computer, what do they do....his enlightened answer....go to gov.com to find an alternate place.

She looked at him like he had 3 eyes and said...don't you need a computer for that? He had NO answer of where to go in person to sign up. Greta kept pressing him for an answer, he said go to the normal places you go for help, like your churches.

REALLY????....churches are set up to sign us up for Obamacare....it was obvious he had no clue what to say, and started pulling dead rabbits out of a hat. Talk about that deer caught in the headlight look...he personified it.

This will go down as one of the biggest cluster***** in POTUS legacy history....as it should!

Des

edit on 1-10-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
If this goes into the debt ceiling debate, and nothing gets done there, this little hissy fit, will probably be catastrophic, for the USA..

So I am guessing this shut down, will be short.. If it goes into later parts of October, this is a planned stunt.. Its to soon to tell yet..

I think the republican moderates are going to cave in, who knows thou... Nothing has really happened yet..
edit on 1-10-2013 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Tazkven
Love it or hate it, Obamacare is officially open for business.

Not exactly. TV news is reporting that their websites are all down.
People trying to log into the Obamacare sites can't. It's a hoot.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

It was in the news as the reason why Obamacrap will go as schedule even if the government shut down.

Obama government hired 7 contracting agencies to handle the mandatory, enforcers and management of the Obamacrap contracts are pay in full.

One of the agencies in charge came publicly to acknowledge that Obamacrap will be working regardless at least the enrollment part of it.

The reason is that Obamacrap have to enroll as many people as it can within a year in order to be able to fill the quota that will be paying for base program

Without the quota Obamacrap will not work.

In lame words they have to target the healthy part of the population to get enough money in order to be able to pay for the ones that are on long term health problems or the call "pre existing conditions" category.

So for now the "enforcers" will be after the "young and healthy" that the system can target.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Wow, go to a Church, huh? That is pretty crazy!

A computer today is almost a necessity for anyone, whether people realize it or not. Problem is, like you said not everyone has the means to own one or the knowledge to fix and maintain one. Where I work, A company in the top 10 of the Fortune 500, they only take applications and resumes through the internet. I do not say that to brag, only to say that most good paying jobs today either are doing it or will soon only be taking applications online.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Bicent76
I think the republican moderates are going to cave in, who knows thou... Nothing has really happened yet..

I think that will be their only choice to be honest, Obamacare looks to be here to stay. The real question is ... how long will they hold out?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Oh, you must mean, all the young and healthy students neck deep in student loans, and part time food service jobs. Yeah that makes sense. Heap the burden of paying for the old sick ones, on their backs. Yeah, that's the ticket....way to go POTUS.

Des

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Most likely because it is being bombarded by applicants.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Tazkven

I highly doubt that. It has been stated, even by the people in place to run the site, there are still *-kinks* to be worked out. It was, and is not, in any way ready to roll out. Obama is calling the time shots, and his ego, knows no reason to not do exactly what he wants, when he wants.

Kinda like playing golf when he should be working to make sure his paycheck is being honestly earned.

Des

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Tazkven

Once all those folks get on to get their 'free healthcare' .. and find out that it isn't free but instead is a government mandated purchase of health insurance ... there will be a lot of pissed off inner city folks who will refuse to sign up for it and who will refuse to pay penalties etc etc.

I don't think the sites will be bombarded by applicants.

More likely ... they'll be finding it very, very quiet.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Well that is how entitlement programs work, look at SS the working class pays into for years or most of their working age, the money you pay now as a young healthy person, goes for those that are already in retirement age, or that become disable but also for those lazy enough to ride the system and get SS without paying a penny into.

Medicare and medicaid works the same you pay while young and able for those that will be using the system while you still paying into it.

you expect that by the time you need your SS or medicare or Medicaid it will plenty of working young and able to pay for you.

That is how entitlement programs work.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

When you said the site was down I figured maybe it was a ton of people logging in or hitting the site, I would hazard a guess, almost everyone in the country is at least checking the site out, either to sign up or gain information on why they hate it or love it

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

That is why the government is scare off that it will not be filling out the quota within a year to get the program started.

If the healthy decide to pay the taxes and so the employers Obama will fail.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

I hear ya'. It's a good guess. Tons of people log in to sign up thinking its 'free healthcare'.
Surprise on them!!! NOPE. It's going to cost them money. Lots of it.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

When we went to have our taxes done, the H&R Block fella said he expected to see a lot of angry
people once Obamacare kicked in. People who don't realize it but they will end up having to PAY
taxes instead of get money back. All because of Obamacare.

I expect a lot of inner city folks to default .. not buy it and not pay the penalty.
What's Obama going to do?? Go arrest all the inner city folks who won't pay??
I can't see Eric Holder doing that.
Somehow, Obama will make us middle class Americans pick up the tab for the
inner city folks who won't pay. Betchya.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join