It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Unveil Hi-tech glasses That Can Translate a Menu as You Read It.......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
If you enjoy travel as much as I do, then you may want a pair of these new glasses that were unveiled in Japan yesterday...

I have visited many countries around the world over the years and I haven't really had that much difficulty when it comes to deciphering menu's to order food, but when it comes to Asian menu's, I have always found that a pretty difficult task...

Links…
www.thestar.com.my...

www.timeslive.co.za...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.bbc.co.uk...

Augmented reality glasses that can translate a menu in real time have been unveiled at a Japanese gadget fair, with promises they could be ready for visitors to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics....

The company, NTT Docomo, was showing off its latest development where cameras, computers and know-how combine to give the wearer a whole different view of what they are looking at...

One function of the gadget overlays the wearer's first language onto unfamiliar text, making signs and menus instantly understandable – a boom to travellers in Japan, where foreign-language menus are not commonly found off the tourist trail....

Character recognition technology enables instant language translation for users travelling abroad and reading restaurant menus and other documents. The new gadget was showcased at the CEATEC (Combined Exhibition of Advanced Technologies) Japan.

Another application turns any flat surface into a touchscreen, with a finger ring relaying positioning information to the device that lets wearers "touch" tags that only they can see, perhaps to perform an internet search...

I want a pair now, pleeeeeeeeeeze....

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
There are apps that do similar things for phones, I would imagine that once google glass becomes available to everyone that you could then just install the app and have this

Things like this will be common place if they can make them look less lame .. if I could wear normal looking glasses and have that functionality then I'm all for it.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I wish I would have had this when I first came to Japan...

new topics

join