It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"It's a Good Day for Anarchists" - Harry Reid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
"It's a good day for anarchists" - Harry Reid (October 1st, 2013, 10:10AM EST - U.S. Senate floor)

We couldn't have done it without you Harry. I am a big enough man to give credit where credit is due.

However, our government closes for 2 days out of every week, 8 days out of every month and 3 months out of every year. So, what exactly is it you are afraid of?

Let's see what the folks on ATS think...
edit on 1-10-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I blame the obstructionist republicans, it's their fault not Harry Reid's.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I've got a great idea to prevent all future nonsensical shutdowns.

Scale government the # back! Waaaay back.

This is only a good day if people pull their heads out of their asses and notice the sun is still shining and the Chinese arent invading just because you cant go to the Smithsonian today.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Goodness. All the propaganda on my morning local news about how horrible it's going to be that no one can visit a national monument or go to a state park. Let me shed a tear. Give me a break! We have bigger problems that need fixing than worrying about the parks right now. Bridges can fall apart and not get fixed properly, Detroit can rot, and millions live on food stamps, but my goodness, do not close the state parks.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

damwel
I blame the obstructionist republicans, it's their fault not Harry Reid's.

They know you are but, what are they?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Let me see if I understand this right....

3 weeks ago there was more than enough money to bomb Syria, but today we need to scrape together the funds to deliver the mail?

But it's a good day for Anarchist?

So now that the Government is shut down, just who will spy on us?

Who will taxes us?

Who will force us to buy health insurance?

Who will send money to foreign countries who hate us?

Who will spend money we don't have?

Who will assassinate our citizens?

Who will run guns into Mexico?

Who will tax us some more?

Who will insist they can trump State law and raid legal businesses?

Who will arm Al Qaeda?

Damn you Anarchist! Damn you!

Sorry but the Government "shutting down" is good news to me. I hope it stays that way. What I really hope for is that the people will gather en mass and invade Capital Hill. I hope they move our Politicians crap out of their plush little Offices and decide as one that we don't want them back and we can figure it all out for ourselves. If that makes me an "Anarchist" then I will wear the badge proudly!
edit on 1-10-2013 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Can't help but root for those evil anarchists. I mean if good ol' Harry Reid doesn't like 'em, they can't be all that bad, can they?

Gee, no govt. intrusions into our business? How ever will we endure?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

And that`s what`s so ironic about the situation, only non essential services will be stopped.All essential services will continue uninterupted, I fail to see the down side to cutting the fat, so to speak, by stopping
non essential crap.
Should not the federal governments only purpose be to take care of the essential things and leave the non essential stuff to the states to take care of if they so choose to do so?
Where and when did the federal government get the idea that the constitution gives them the responsibility to take on all these non essential things?

The federal governments only responsibilities are these 5 essential things:

establish justice,
insure domestic tranquility,
provide for the common defense,
promote the general welfare,
and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity,

anything else that the federal government takes on is not a responsibility but a non essential choice.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I will go in halves with anyone interested on a couple of hundred sets of locks, better act quickly though. Would be some of the best money I have ever spent......

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Lets party!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

jaynkeel
I will go in halves with anyone interested on a couple of hundred sets of locks, better act quickly though. Would be some of the best money I have ever spent......

I'd be more likely to support getting together 500 or so pillories and setting them up in front of the Capitol building, rounding up the politicians, and putting them on display so that the people can launch rotten GMO vegetables at them and then holding a public trial for treason resulting in many long jail terms and a few executions.

It would serve them all right.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I fail to see the problem. At worst, yes, a lot of people aren't getting paid. But, the gleaming silver lining is that we can see very clearly what goobermint fat we can stand to trim & do without as unnecessary spending.

For what it's worth, the few Anarchists I do know sure aren't hooting & hollering for joy yet. They may if the defense budget & money sent in copious amounts to other countries is reigned in. Even then, the government would still be large enough to garner displeasure.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos

jaynkeel

I'd be more likely to support getting together 500 or so pillories and setting them up in front of the Capitol building, rounding up the politicians, and putting them on display so that the people can launch rotten GMO vegetables at them and then holding a public trial for treason resulting in many long jail terms and a few executions.

It would serve them all right.

Well that could be fun for the whole family right there lol!!! I am a bit under the weather so I am in simple mind mode lately..... Some interesting ideas none the less, thumbs up.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The healthcare thing is another way for government to grow its tentacles.

We need this, we need that: the government will come for our rescue!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Ok.. How about that it forces people to purchase a service regardless of their employment status or if the can even afford it. This is especially since insurance companies have no cap and no incentive to lower premiums (that part was delayed).

How about that it fines someone $500.00 at the end of the year were you not to purchase this service that comes directly out of your already dwindling tax return....

How about that many many people who already have healthcare will be getting screwed out of it (over a million people and counting)!

President Barack Obama famously promised, “If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan.” He later got even more specific. “If you are among the hundreds of millions of Americans who already have health insurance through your job, or Medicare, or Medicaid, or the VA, nothing in this plan will require you or your employer to change the coverage or the doctor you have,” Obama said. But as Obamacare’s rollout approaches, we have learned this is not true. Here are the ten states where consumers may like their health care plans, but they won’t be able to keep them.

Source

This is not socialized healthcare.. This is the government forcing you to buy health insurance at whatever ungodly premiums you can.

I personally think that Obamacare should not be funded, based not only on the above but on the fact that we as a nation with over 14 trillion in debt just cannot afford it. We need more cuts and less new costs... bottom line.

It saddens me that a govt shutdown is the result of essentially a couple of toddlers fighting over a toy.
edit on 1-10-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I will say this and leave you to your celebration: Nothing in what's happening right now will lead to smaller government or lower taxes.

If a president, of either party, traded one 1986 Don Mattingly baseball card to a vocal minority of congresspeople in exchange for passing a continuing budget resolution, then every time a spending measure came before congress, any determined contingent could turn that into an opportunity to revisit any partisan battle they wished to relitigate.

And if your bro's do this over the spending limit, they're going to crash the bond market.

Go Pats.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

michael22
I will say this and leave you to your celebration: Nothing in what's happening right now will lead to smaller government or lower taxes.

If a president, of either party, traded one 1986 Don Mattingly baseball card to a vocal minority of congresspeople in exchange for passing a continuing budget resolution, then every time a spending measure came before congress, any determined contingent could turn that into an opportunity to revisit any partisan battle they wished to relitigate.

And if your bro's do this over the spending limit, they're going to crash the bond market.

Go Pats.

Sniff, sniff... I do declare that I smell the foul stench of fear. Wonderful!

This is the tone that we should be soliciting. So encouraging it is as to remove all doubt that we are on the right track. I should point out that beyond this attitude of dismissal there will be appeasement and ultimately imploring that we not follow through with the deprecation and eventual elimination of most official power and officials.

The career politician has only one terrible fear, the loss of power. Through peaceful local legislation, recall elections, firings and, if necessary, legal action, we will achieve that goal.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Sniff, sniff... I do declare that I smell the foul stench of fear. Wonderful!

This is the tone that we should be soliciting. So encouraging it is as to remove all doubt that we are on the right track. I should point out that beyond this attitude of dismissal there will be appeasement and ultimately imploring that we not follow through with the deprecation and eventual elimination of most official power and officials.

The career politician has only one terrible fear, the loss of power. Through peaceful local legislation, recall elections, firings and, if necessary, legal action, we will achieve that goal.

reply to post by greencmp

It's a little sad that you've decided that your best tack is to describe me as fearful. I think government funding will go forward, which may take a few days or weeks. I think these people will go up for reelection, and that will go well or poorly for them. I'm actually fine, personally, and I'm not directly affected by much of this. I'll admit I'm a little scared of bees, but since I can see that you can type and do not seem be a bee, I feel safe to comment and argue with you.

I'm also not worried that this confrontation will lead to congress sending a continuing resolution for approval without any conditions regarding the affordable care act. This whole kabuki is not going to change the nature of our government in any appreciable way.

I know this, and if you're following, you probably suspect the same.

You may well be right that there is a mighty harvest coming for those who are wastefully using your resources to deprive you of your liberties. You may well be right that there is too much regulation, too many rules and laws that impinge upon our liberties. We can't have raw milk. We can't play our radios at enthusiastic volumes. Our very nation may well be weltered by interference, and our markets may well be corrupted by the relationships between corporations and other corporations, and corporations with lobbyists and lawmakers.

On many of these things, I am your compatriot. I'm stipulating all of that.

But I'm asking you to make a very limited concession, to recognize that it would be an impossibility for Harry Reid or Barack Obama to participate in negotiating down anything in the name of a CR. Clearly you can see that. Pick any day but today. They are not allowed, technically, to make lasting changes under these circumstances.

You may badly wish for all of these things, but you must recognize that no man would participate in his own downfall so intentionally.
edit on 1-10-2013 by michael22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by michael22

First of all, I really apologize. I have this awful habit of being unclear. For the sake of clarity, imagine I'm saying this in all-caps, which I won't actually do because there may be children in the room:

I'm not worried that this confrontation will lead to congress clearing a continuing resolution with any conditions regarding the affordable care act. I'm also not under any delusion that this whole kabuki is going to change the nature of our government in any appreciable way.

I know this as well as you do.

End caps. The kids can come back in the room now. Luckily, the FCC has a few days off.

You may well be right that there is a mighty harvest coming for those who are wastefully using your resources to deprive you of your liberties. You may well be right that there is too much regulation, too many rules and laws that impinge upon our liberties. We can't have raw milk. We can't play our radios at enthusiastic volumes. Our very nation may well be weltered by interference, and our markets may well be corrupted by the relationships between corporations and other corporations, and corporations with lobbyists and lawmakers.

On many of these things, I am your compatriot. I'm stipulating all of that.

But I'm asking you to make a very limited concession, to recognize that it would be an impossibility for Harry Reid or Barack Obama to participate in negotiating down anything in the name of a CR. Clearly you can see that. Pick any day but today. They are not allowed, technically, to make lasting changes under these circumstances.

You may badly wish for all of these things, but you must recognize that no man would participate in his own downfall so intentionally.

Appeasement? And so fast Madam Former Secretary? I did not dare speculate how demonstrative of my point this example would elicit from you. Nay, there shall be no indulgences of compromise, not while the inequities remain so vast.

I do not propose to walk onto the floor of either of the houses of congress tomorrow and expect to achieve any results. However, in time, as the American people reduce and expunge the myriad layers of parasitic bureaucracy from the local level up to each state's legislature, we will politically arrive en mass from the whole of these United States to challenge and triumph over that circus which you are so quick to chastise for a bit of mock sympathy.

I suggest you prepare your beseechments and make them genuine as they will be the epilogue to this most dubious reign of imperiousness.
edit on 1-10-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join