It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States Federal Govt. Shutdown

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by letscit

that is what the shutdown is over and exactly what neither side is willing to budge on. I have MY suspicions why. what are others suspicion as to why?

No actually, it isn't. What this is is a genuine conspiracy on the part of the Koch brothers wing (the so-called TEA party) of the GOP to make the country ungovernable. It makes no sense, but the Koch brothers haven't done anything that makes any sense for a long time. Who knows what their end game is.

The Nullification Party

When ideologies become as calcified, as cocooned and as extremist as those galvanizing the GOP, the American system of government cannot work. But I fear this nullification of the last two elections is a deliberate attempt to ensure that the American system of government as we have known it cannot work. It cannot, must not work, in the mindset of these radicals, because they simply do not accept the legitimacy of a President and Congress of the opposing party. The GOP does not regard the president as merely wrong – but as illegitimate. Not misguided – illegitimate. This is not about ending Obamacare as such (although that is a preliminary scalp); it is about nullifying this presidency, the way the GOP attempted to nullify the last Democratic presidency by impeachment.

Except this time, of course, we cannot deny that race too is an added factor to the fathomless sense of entitlement felt among the GOP far right. You saw it in birtherism; in the Southern GOP’s constant outrageous claims of Obama’s alleged treason and alliance with Islamist enemies; in providing zero votes for a stimulus that was the only thing that prevented a global depression of far worse proportions; in the endless race-baiting from Fox News and the talk radio right. And in this racially-charged atmosphere, providing access to private healthcare insurance to the working poor is obviously the point of no return.
Even though the law is almost identical to that of their last presidential nominee’s in Massachusetts, the GOP is prepared to destroy both the American government and the global economy to stop it.
I regard this development as one of the more insidious and anti-constitutional acts of racist vandalism against the American republic in my adult lifetime. Those who keep talking as if there are two sides to this, when there are not, are as much a part of the vandalism as Ted Cruz. Obama has played punctiliously by the constitutional rules – two elections, one court case – while the GOP has decided that the rules are for dummies and suckers, and throws over the board game as soon as it looks as if it is going to lose by the rules as they have always applied.

Lover her or hate her, Rachael Maddow traces the GOP enthusiasm for a government shutdown from BEFORE the 2010 election. This is NOT about Obamacare; this is about achieving a government shutdown by any means possible. Obamacase is simply their convenient boogie man.

GOP came to power seeking government shutdown

"What is happening tonight is happening tonight because this is what Republicans want to do. This is what they promised to do. This tactic...is an end in and of itself, and that is why there's no talking them out of it. Elect Republicans and they will burn the place down."

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PlatinumShatinum

Free until a major hurricane or any other natural disaster hit your county or state then your state taxes will be used to fix the infrastructure. Then you cam drive on gravel roads and miles to go across a river. Enjoy

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

haarvik
reply to post by ImpactoR

Did I say anything about the workers? No. Try to get your head out of your rectum and READ before making stupid comments.

Besides, even if I had, they will get back pay for the time off so it's not like they are going to go without.

Your naïve thinking of 'everything will be fine' that of ignorant twats speaks better of who has his head in his aSS, no me!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Not sure what else I can add to this.....

But.........

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Wow...

First let me make it clear, I hold no party allegiance. I support proposals based on their merrit, regardless of who makes the proposal. Nothing else makes sense to me.

That being said, the whole concept of an individual health insurance mandate was brought forward by that revered Republican institution the Heritage Foundation back in 1989. In the early ’90’s the Republican’s introduced a number of healthcare bills that included an individual mandate. Go ahead, look it up. Even as recently as 2007, both Democrats and Republicans introduced bipartisan legislation containing the mandate. One such bill, which became law, was Romney’s signature achievment in the state of Massachusetts. And guess what? It was a great success and became widely accepted. So please, don’t make it out like Obama is the Anti-Christ simply because he followed their lead. It just doesn’t pass the sniff test.

Now, regarding the government shutdown, it hasn’t done a damn thing to stop the implementation of the healthcare law. It’s funding was already in place. Which brings me to question, “What’s the point”? Really, you got me. I think EVERYONE in Congress should be required to undergo a psychiatric review before resuming duties. It would only be fair to the millions of innocent, helpless victums falling prey daily to their ruthless, ill-conceived notions. I love this country; it’s really all I know. But please, don’t tell anybody I said that. It’s becoming kind of an embarassment to admit it anymore, ya know.

The Affordable Care Act is not a bill, it’s the law. This law passed both houses of Congress and was signed into law. It was deemed constitutional by the Supreme Court of the United States. For one party, in one branch of Congress, to hold this country hostage in order to override a constitutional process, disrupting the lives of federal workers and the American people who depend on their services, is unconscionable. It’s downright Anti-American.

The shutdown has put 800K government workers on furlough and will cause approx $300M/day damage to our economy. Way to go guys! You get a million free bonus votes for that in 2014!! It’s kinda like the CEO who receives a $50M bonus because his/her company lost $5B last year instead of the $6B projected. Hmmm... Makes sense...

Not only are all those folks being furloughed, but many other workers like Border Patrol officers, prison guards and air traffic controllers are required to work, while their pay is being delayed. In the D.C. Superior Court they’ve temporarily stopped paying witnesses, jurors and court-appointed attorneys. The court has also stopped payments to mediators, language interpreters, expert witnesses and investigators hired by court-appointed defense attorneys. A big concern here is that witnesses, unless subpoenaed by a judge, would be reluctant to show up for court without the $40/day payment they typically would receive immediately. These are things typically “required” of our patriotic citizens, and yet they will not be compensated until the federal government shutdown ends. This is going on now all around the country. Regarding the politicians supporting this shutdown, I heard one furloughed worker’s remark was, “It’s not fair. They still get paychecks, and we don’t.” I agree completely with her sentiments. They should be required to sacrifice, as well.

Many of the same arguments being made today against the ACA were being made long ago against the Social Security Act and Medicare. Today there would be an armed revolt if the government were to eliminate those programs. Personally, I think the same will be the case with the ACA. At this stage most people, including many political leaders, are simply reacting out of ignorance of the law. I mean, how many of us here have actually read the law, as opposed to just repeating what we’ve heard on Fox News or MSNBC? I’d be willing to bet not many. I’m no expert on the law myself, but my gut feeling is that it will gain wide acceptance once it’s had a chance to take hold. Now, that may be a year or 2, considering there’s been so much political opposition and refusal to cooperate in the implementation. But, I think eventually it will come around. Those states who’ve stubbornly (stupidly IMO) refused to participate, throwing millions of dollars away in subsidies they would’ve received, will begin to see the success the program is gaining in other states who wisely complied. It won’t take all that long before these folks come to their senses and begin to join in, as well.

And that, I think, is the greatest fear many Republicans have about all this; they’re terrified that it might succeed. They don’t see all this in terms of what’s in the best interest of the people; they don’t give a hoot about the people. All their blinders will allow them to see is that it would be a VICTORY for that “illegitimate Kenyan” Barack Hussein Obama. And, by God, that’s just not acceptable! Man! To think, the so-called Leader of the Free World runs it’s affairs this way. What a model for rest of the world to follow.

Many of you will disagree with everything I’ve just said, but that’s not changing my opinion. At least not for now...

PS: Has anyone noticed that you don’t hear much squawking about the deficit lately? There’s a reason for that. It’s been coming down at a record pace. Try to remember that a couple weeks from now when the next self-inflicted crisis begins - the debt ceiling debacle. It will be the same cast of characters, the same convoluted logic, just much higher stakes.

PPS: It’s kinda ironic to me. All the people who gripe and moan about freeloaders using emergency services, and getting a free ride, are the very same ones griping and moaning about the Fed finally making them pay for their own insurance instead. Make up your minds. Or is it you just want something to gripe about? I have a feeling it’s the latter.

Hasta la Vista, Baby...

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Everything is a stage in the World including USA and many affiliates have joined the stage based upon false promises! Usually something is to be gained by joining or bending over and taking it up the ass because you have nothing left to bring forward-so many sell their countries souls(people) hoping the mass population don't see it or can comprehend the entire situation they are living with today.

I don't even want to think of what may happen when and IF the masses wake up? I believe it will fall upon the innocent(children-grandchildren). I will leave this life knowing I have done everything within my power to have this NOT be-failed upon them.

I hope many will see it as clear as I have.. Amen!

Blessings Trinity

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Phage

trinityalways
reply to post by Phage

JSpOC back in 2012 has been replaced with AGI software see this and their partners.

www.agi.com...

finance.yahoo.com...

No. JSpOC was not replaced.

Let me restate my point.
1) The "space fence" was not shut down as a result of the government shut down. It was scheduled to be shut down at the end of the fiscal year.

2) NASA does not, and never did, track objects in space other than their satellites, which they are still doing.

3) Anything concerning national security is an "essential service" and will continue to operate during the shutdown.
edit on 10/1/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

You know your avatar stance with crossed arms and assume you know what is best and right -WHATEVER -you seem to be always chatting away and never listening -take it from a female- it really does help to learn to listen. STOP regurgitating what I said . The links speak for themselves!

Gezzz on a nice note!
Trinity

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The rot within the Republican Party that has that party at war with itself has spread to the entire country.

The Tea-Party members being interviewed seem to hate the Republicans as much as the Dems. But this faction within the Republican Party is holding the country hostage.

Should the Republicans clean up their house and throw these guys out, or is it the Governments responsibility?

The Republican Party is going to get cruxified in elections if they dont get their house in order and get the Tea Partiers under control.

Should the Tea Party form their own Party, or should the Republicans throw them out?

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Interesting times we live in.
edit on 3-10-2013 by Strakha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Strakha

Interesting...history in the making. Will we see our government ruin our country? That is the question as we are all watching and waiting with the debt ceiling fast approaching. Imagine being written about in future history books how you contributed to the downfall of the US. Yikes!

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

The reason the republicans don't have a problem in doing this, is because they no longer have any accountability to the public, because they DON'T work for the public. When Boehner tells them to scrap their staff and just confer with lobbyists, that is pretty much the end of Representative government. And the Dems are pretty quiet for the most part, I dont see them scrambling for a solution either. They are for the most part a bunch of millionaires too, and their economy is NOT our economy. People fret and get upset and point fingers, but the truth is if anything is to change, the people HAVE to get represented again for that to happen. How are we going to accomplish that? That is our real problem to solve.
edit on 3-10-2013 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Phage
I have to say I'm mildly surprised.
I guess the pissing match was a tie.

I agree, but as to who they are pissing on, is it raining outside??

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join