It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monopoly in real life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Most of us have played the game Monopoly dozens of times while we were growing up. I know I've flipped the board dozens of times in frustration when my older brother was beating the tar out of me in the game (almost made it worthwile
)

We've played the game loads of times but, I'll bet nobody ever really knew what all of those properties looked like in real life. They are all named after streets in Atlantic City. Here's an article by a guy who actually went there and found all those streets for us.

What The Monopoly Properties Look Like In Real Life

Monopoly itself has a long and complicated history, but the addition of Atlantic City-based street names can be traced to one Ruth Hoskins. Hoskins had learned a version of the game in Indianapolis, and upon moving to Atlantic City in 1929, made her own copy from scratch naming properties after streets where her friends lived.

Illinois Avenue: Illinois Ave still exists but was renamed Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd in the 1980s. The deed holder of Illinois can count one of the most beautiful buildings in Atlantic City among his properties: the Carnegie Library.

Vermont Ave: The centerpiece of Vermont is the Absecon Light, the tallest lighthouse in New Jersey at 171 feet. Built in 1854, it was officially deactivated in 1933 but still lights up every night.

Marvin Gardens: Marvin Gardens holds a few unique distinctions. First, it’s the only property not located in Atlantic City (it’s actually in Margate City). Two, it’s misspelled (the real Marven Gardens was a combination of the names Ventnor and Margate). Third, it’s easily the most beautiful property on the Monopoly board. A housing community founded in the 1920s and 1930s, the homes and gardens have been immaculately maintained and are literally picture perfect. Seriously, next time you’re in Atlantic City, make it a point to drive a few miles down the road to check out this dead ringer for the town in the Truman Show. Wow.

Scouting NY.com

Some of the properties are just back alleys and run down neighborhoods anymore. Check out the link to see the whole list.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was, "You can't have Monopoly in real life, the fiat currency holds its value."

But yeah, beautiful buildings. There's an idea, make a Monopoly set with copies of the buildings to match the properties, instead of the green houses and red hotels.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Ok great, just give me directions to the "GO", I could really use $200 right now.

A get out of jail free card would come in handy too.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Glass
Ok great, just give me directions to the "GO", I could really use $200 right now.

A get out of jail free card would come in handy too.

Problem is, you could go to jail for being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

On the other hand, you wouldn't have to pay income tax, an electric bill, or a water bill if you are lucky.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I own Mayfair so show me the money baby !!

Oooops....you've landed on it again.....with hotels as well !!

Wish it was real life, Hmmmmm.....

top topics

join