It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Data Indicates Our Region Is At Risk For Major Earthquake...wth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
NEW MADRID FAULT ARTICLE POSTED BY LOCAL NEWS WEATHER GUY TODAY

I have seen this topic on here many many times. I have never seen my local weather guy address it. This article gave me goose bumps.

Using innovative and sophisticated technology, scientists now have high-resolution imagery of the New Madrid Seismic Zone, allowing them to map the area in more detail than ever before. The maps allow for greater understanding of the weak rocks in this zone that are found at further depths in the Earth’s mantle compared to surrounding areas. Scientists also determined that earthquakes and their impacts are likely to be narrowly concentrated in this zone.

“With the new high-resolution imagery, we can see in greater detail that the New Madrid Seismic Zone is mechanically weaker than surrounding areas and therefore concentrates movement and stress in a narrow area,” said USGS scientist Fred Pollitz, who is the lead author of this research. “The structure beneath this zone is unique when compared to adjacent areas in the central and eastern United States. A more in-depth understanding of such zones of weakness ultimately helps inform decisions such as the adoption of appropriate building codes to protect vulnerable communities, while also providing insight that could be applied to other regions across the world.”

“Our results are unexpected and significant because they suggest that large earthquakes remain concentrated within the New Madrid Seismic Zone,” said USGS scientist Walter Mooney, the co-author of the report. “There are still many unknowns about this zone, and future research will aim to understand why the seismic zone is active now, why its earthquake history may be episodic over millions of years, and how often it produces large quakes.”

Ok, color me paranoid, but we have had numerous meteors this week, and now our local weather guy is telling us we are at a high risk of a major earthquake.

I live in KY. That is why this freaked me out.

What are your thoughts? Is this anything new??
edit on 9/30/2013 by semperfortis because: Corrected all CAPS

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

What seems to be new is a better understanding of how the fault works.
I don't really see anything thing there that indicates that any activity may be imminent. Nothing that say it isn't either.

Does that help?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Here on the east coast, we've been awaiting a mega tsunami for more than a decade now.

I wouldn't go losing sleep over this report.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You kind of have to know this weather guy. He is not really local. He is from another part of the country. He really gets into his job. He likes to go in depth and usually doesn't say things like...imminent and use words like that. He is usually very down to earth and factual . He is also hardly ever wrong.

Why would a weatherman post info on an earthquake? That was my first "this is weird" moment.

My second was the title. That alone was kind of gloom and doom. He does go into the 1811 earthquake and deals mainly with that, but I interpreted the article to say it is going to happen...they just do not know when.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by k21968

What seems to be new is a better understanding of how the fault works.
I don't really see anything thing there that indicates that any activity may be imminent. Nothing that say it isn't either.

Does that help?

He's right. I'm from Illinois (northern), I grew up listening to this. It would be in the paper every few years. We had more to worry about from tornadoes.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos
Here on the east coast, we've been awaiting a mega tsunami for more than a decade now.

I wouldn't go losing sleep over this report.

When I lived in Seattle and would drive on the tsunami evacuation routes I would always wonder why they had tsunami evacuation routes...unless they thought we could have a tsunami.

What I mean by that mess of words is...I would rather be prepared than not prepared.

I do not think you can "prepare" for an earthquake.

I was also in the 6.8 that hit Washington in 2001 and I think I still have PTSD from it.
I seriously thought moving to Kentucky would alleviate that. Apparently I was very wrong.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

THE TITLE says MAJOR RISK of earthquake....

that is what bothered me.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

I was paying attention to what the geologist said, not so much the weatherman.

There has been some speculation about the fault being dead. This data would indicate that it is not. This means that yes, it may still produce very strong earthquakes. It doesn't seem to be quite as certain as say, San Andreas, but it could be a matter more of when than if.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

The earthquake of 1811/1812 created reelfoot lake, the only non man made lakes in TN (where I live currently). Have you read up on the quake, because of the soil type around here, they felt the quake on the East coast. It made the Mississippi go in reverse.

I don't know if it's a dead fault, we got a shake about 5-6 years ago that woke up the kids. I was awake and standing up, but felt nothing.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

SO basically they are saying that their data is showing the fault is more accurate than they believed, so what does that mean for us and why did he not say what it really meant???

I mean he could say move now, save yourself, or relax it wont happen in your life. What I get from it is, "we do not know when" but it will happen. That is pretty scary.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

What they are saying is that new technology has provided information which was never before available and that information indicates that the fault is not dead.

What I get from it is, "we do not know when" but it will happen.
Not quite that. More, "there is a good chance that it will happen at some time and we have no way of knowing when"

Scary, yes. But people on the west coast have been living with a very unequivocal "it is not a matter of if" for a very long time. For you there seems to still be a bit of "if".

edit on 9/30/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by k21968

What they are saying is that new technology has provided information which was never before available and that information indicates that the fault is not dead.

What I get from it is, "we do not know when" but it will happen.
Not quite that. More, "there is a good chance that it will happen at some time and we have no way of knowing when"

Scary, yes. But people on the west coast have been living with a very unequivocal "it is not a matter of if" for a very long time. For you there seems to still be a bit of "if".

edit on 9/30/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Exactly what I was coming in to add
edit on 9/30/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

k21968
reply to post by Phage

SO basically they are saying that their data is showing the fault is more accurate than they believed, so what does that mean for us and why did he not say what it really meant???

I mean he could say move now, save yourself, or relax it wont happen in your life. What I get from it is, "we do not know when" but it will happen. That is pretty scary.

No matter where you go, there will be something. Hurricanes, tornados, mud slides, fire, flood, avalanche, the 1000 year storm in Colorado...the important thing is to be prepared.

I grew up in earthquake country, San Andreas fault area. Our house was bolted to the foundation, we didn't hang heavy stuff over the bed, kitchen cupboards latched. etc. Always had extra food and water and flashlights and stuff like that. Its just a smart way to live. Be prepared.

I'm not trying to be flippant, but I think being prepared is the main point your weatherman is trying to make. The biggest problem with the New Madrid is that very few buildings take earthquakes into consideration, people don't live as if they are in an earthquake zone, which they are.

The earthquake isn't the worst part, its the aftermath and what all gets damaged. Just be prepared. Chances are nothing will happen, but if it does you will be able to manage.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

i think after you lived through a pretty decent quake you are extra sensitive to information like your weather forecaster gave out. since we can't predict earthquakes it's more scary when you are paranoid about them..... similar to my extra panic in storms because i fear tornadoes.

i think you might be overly worried about an event that may not happen for 200 years....

it is interesting that your weather person would say such a thing though.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

That is what I think..it is just weird he is talking about it. That part made me go hmmmmmmm

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Here is a report to make you feel warm and fuzzy all over. It is a PDF file prepared for FEMA chalk full of info on the New Madrid and what each state can expect when, if it goes New Madrid
A snip-it of findings following a New Madrid EQ...

Approximately 2.6 million households are without power after the earthquake. Nearly 86,000 injuries and fatalities result from damage to infrastructure. Nearly 130 hospitals are damaged and most are located in the impacted counties near the rupture zone. There is extensive damage and substantial travel delays in both Memphis, Tennessee, and St. Louis, Missouri, thus hampering search and rescue as well as evacuation. Moreover roughly 15 major bridges are unusable.

Three days after the earthquake, 7.2 million people are still displaced and 2 million people seek temporary shelter. Direct economic losses for the eight states total nearly $300 billion, while indirect losses may be at least twice this amount.

The contents of this report provide the various assumptions used to arrive at the impact estimates, detailed background on the above quantitative consequences, and a breakdown of the figures per sector at the FEMA region and state levels. The information is presented in a manner suitable for personnel and agencies responsible for establishing response plans based on likely impacts of plausible earthquakes in the central USA.

So north of the great lakes is safe
edit on 10/1/2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Not so much North of Lake Erie, I think that is a more sandy or clay soil than North of other Great Lakes. You would be safer North of Lake Huron or Superior where you would be solidly onto the Canadian Shield rock.
Granted, there are faults in the shield too, but they have been stable for millions of years. Quakes in this area would be mild but would be felt over a large area.
For instance, there was a minor tremblor around Ottawa around 3.5 I think that was felt about 800 miles away in Sudbury.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I beleive very strongly, that the dark hats mismanaging our planet, put information like this out to raise fear and with fear they can manifest anything, for that region or elsewhere.

Your light and presence brings stability to any region, so hold Love/Peace and Light, and see everyone protected and nature healed and restored. See people waking up and healing the world and each other. Give thanks to Source for everything Good.
edit on 2-10-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Merlynn

The earthquake of 1811/1812 created reelfoot lake, the only non man made lakes in TN (where I live currently).

Did you mean to say that there are NO natural lakes in TN other than Reelfoot?

Or did you mean something else?

If true it boggles the mind and I am ashamed that I was unaware of that fact. Time to do some research...

top topics

join