It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consequences of Faster Than Light Energy Travel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Everything in the physical universe is made of fundamentally the same particle. Energy and matter, both consist of the same subatomic photons. In matter, these photons are compressed tightly and organized to create mass and volume. The density of the photons in matter give it a very small gravitation field and hold the photons organized so that energy has difficulty passing through it. Both types of photons, energetic and matter-organized, vibrate and rearrange at the speed of light, the universal standard of the limit of velocity. We stand today at the brink of passing the speed of light with warping space-time. Warp on Star Trek was speed approaching the speed of light. Warp according to Dr. Harold Sonny White of NASA is photonic velocity faster then the speed of light. His theories look very promising, and do not violate the laws of quantum physics. There are many possible consequences of velocity faster then the speed of light for a single photon or even the entire universe. This is not about a possibility. This is about an eventuallity. Perhaps we will only conquer energy travelling faster then the speed of light. Perhaps not. The idea Dr. White puts forward is not warp speed. It is the equal to the Star Trek sub space network. This seems great until you realize the implications of energetic warp. I am unsure of the theory's view of velocity, whether it is instantaneous, or just faster then the speed of light. Either way we will be able to warp light that is visible from space directly to earth, for this i'll assume instantenous.What I am typing now will not be visible a full lightyear away until the earth completes a full revolution around the sun, the definition of a year. Next year if I was standing in the right spot in space I could see the visible spectrum pass through and watch the light arrive at my location in space. The technology is amazing in that if we travel instantenous to one hundred light years away in the correct vector we can watch the hundred years we lived, the light, arrive at the location. We will be able to see history as it is happening. There will be no physical interactions, it will resemble a hologram. We will have the ability to do this anywhere in space with the correct vectors to view the history of Earth. Sound does not travel through space, so don't bother telling me to # off, but if you know sign language... The consequences that I feel need to be discussed are those of society. I am a good man. I do not have secrets. What about those people who aren't? What happens when full visible accountability for every action, present and past, comes into play? I fear people will become unstable emotionally, as I did when I realized this. History without the bias of the winners of battle will unfold. This discussion speaks only of the present time and the past. The unknown future is still beyond me to discuss. Simply put, as long as life exists, there will eventually be someone, or something, in the future looking back at every event in the past. I hope you turn to faith.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FryEvans

Wall of text sorry dude I just can't read it.(I have weak eye muscles)
I will read it when you have pressed enter a few times.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I find what you had to say interesting.

Technology like this is eventual...meaning it is bound to happen like one world government. .

Not much to be done but strap in and watch the ride...preferably at a safe distance.

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
So this is a god post?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

We will be able to see history as it is happening. There will be no physical interactions, it will resemble a hologram. We will have the ability to do this anywhere in space with the correct vectors to view the history of Earth.

Hmmm, ok
Warp camera out into space.
Point it at the grassy knoll.
Warp camera back to earth.
Make arrest.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

boymonkey74

Wall of text sorry dude I just can't read it.(I have weak eye muscles)
I will read it when you have pressed enter a few times.

I'm with you on this one.. it's really difficult to read a wall of text not split up into coherent paragraphs, it's not that I'm being mean about it but I often read, a little and get distracted by day to day life so it's nice to be able to just know that I have to pick up on the 2nd or 3rd paragraph rather than have to re-read it to find my spot.

Could have been interesting.. I'll check back when I have more time perhaps.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
You must of been the English teacher's favorite student...

First off - light year is a measure of the distance and not the time. In a roundabout way, you are correct in your assumption of viewing the past from afar...but it won't be practical.

Any current, or imagined, viewing device would need to be hella huge.

Not saying it's impossible, but it is impossible.

No one will become emotionally unstable until we get the tech to view (and travel) that distance. Once we do have the tech - we'll be cyborgs without emotions anyways.

Maybe viewing the events of the past will cause the cyborgs to revitalize their souless souls & rekindle their deep down human emotions? ...only to become unstable once they realized what they have done.

The cyborg war that ensues will be the Armageddon that the cyborg elders warned us of. ...so many will die, only to be reborn, to finally die..

May the Gods help us all.
edit on 30-9-2013 by ChuckNasty because: added word

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

No need to bother reading, you can tell from the first two sentences that it's nonsense.

Everything in the physical universe is made of fundamentally the same particle. Energy and matter, both consist of the same subatomic photons.

Matter consists of quarks and leptons. Photons are force carriers, a different kind of particle that is associated with energy rather than matter. Under certain experimental conditions, photons display a quark structure, but this is fairly esoteric stuff. Real physics is a bit more complicated than E = mc^2.

For people who want to find out more, I recommend The Particle Adventure.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

It's not nonsense. What he is saying is very theoretical at this point, but the concept makes sense. I'm not sure why OP started off with the bit about photons and whatnot (other than to try and establish that FTL travel might be possible in the distant future), because his basic premise can stand alone.

That is, for example, when we look up at the stars, we are seeing them as they were many years ago, not as they are now. Granted, I'd imagine most of the visible stars wouldn't look too much different at this distance and at such a low resolution, but if we were to have extremely powerful telescopes (and x-rays), someone could conceivably travel out there far enough, where the light hasn't reached yet, to physically watch events of our past unfold. Or as someone else suggested, send a camera/telescope out there and relay it back to us FTL.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Astyanax
reply to post by boymonkey74

No need to bother reading, you can tell from the first two sentences that it's nonsense.

Everything in the physical universe is made of fundamentally the same particle. Energy and matter, both consist of the same subatomic photons.

Matter consists of quarks and leptons. Photons are force carriers, a different kind of particle that is associated with energy rather than matter. Under certain experimental conditions, photons display a quark structure, but this is fairly esoteric stuff. Real physics is a bit more complicated than E = mc^2.

For people who want to find out more, I recommend The Particle Adventure.

Yeah, I only got about as far before my BS alarm went off...

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Is this link relevant:
news.yahoo.com - Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say...

The only problem is, previous studies estimated the warp drive would require a minimum amount of energy about equal to the mass-energy of the planet Jupiter.

But recently White calculated what would happen if the shape of the ring encircling the spacecraft was adjusted into more of a rounded donut, as opposed to a flat ring. He found in that case, the warp drive could be powered by a mass about the size of a spacecraft like the Voyager 1 probe NASA launched in 1977.

Furthermore, if the intensity of the space warps can be oscillated over time, the energy required is reduced even more, White found.

"The findings I presented today change it from impractical to plausible and worth further investigation," White told SPACE.com. "The additional energy reduction realized by oscillating the bubble intensity is an interesting conjecture that we will enjoy looking at in the lab."

edit on 1-10-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Relevant. But wrong.
It won't work until they factor in Dilithium Crystals.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Why don't everyone work on,, what does an active Higgs Boson, which has no Mass, give too, Mass, so that it can come into our "point of view" perspective.
Mass plus Speed + Time - Perspective = Higgs Bosson?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
If the idea the original thread poster put somewhere in the text wall intrigues you, you might like this book, it's a fun read:

en.wikipedia.org...

And if there were enough tech developed in such regard, not much reason why it couldn't be done. Just need a big enough hole for photons to get through.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
[reply to post by evilod

It's not nonsense. What he is saying is very theoretical at this point, but the concept makes sense.

Even if we ignore that theoretical and practical problems of travel by spacewarp, remember that radiation from any point source follows an inverse square law with respect to intensity. We can look at stars hundreds of light-years away and infer that they have planets (and even what the planets might be made of), but we are achieving such results with a handful of photons. We can't even see the planets themselves.

To collect enough photons to build up a coherent photograph of events that took place even fifty years ago — you'd have to be fifty light-years out to collect those photons — is probably impossible in practical terms. Imagine how big a telescope you would need!

If the idea is just to get people excited by the idea that viewing distant objects in space is the same as viewing the past, that's fine but it's not exactly red-hot news, is it?

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

Here's one that takes the concept even farther — literally: Tau Zero by the great Poul Anderson.

top topics

join