It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol: The Forbidden Blessing?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This topic should be fun as long as we can manage to keep it within the rules of play...

I tend to dabble on the edge of the rules with some of my threads, but lets not make this into a brawl

Be thee warned... Lest the lords of said dwelling come and smite thine account, and boot thine silly arse outa here!

Akragon 8:69

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God gave us wine that maketh glad the heart of man.
Psalm 104:15 (paraphrased)

Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.
Proverbs 31:6-7

There has always been debate about this issue in many religious circles... Some sects of Christianity completely reject and forbid drinking in any form, while others have little issue with moderate drinking...

Muslims completely forbid the consumptions of alcohol as far as I know... Even though the OT (which is important in the religion apparently) does say moderate consumption is ok... in the Quran it is strictly prohibited

IS it possible that certain sects of the worlds religion prohibit alcohol because it is fun?

Now before everyone starts tossing fireballs at me... Let me explain

Im not saying everyone should drink... alcohol is most definitely NOT for everyone... and in no way is this thread trying to condone Drunken behaviour...

I do believe strongly in Karma... and getting hammered is an instant Kick in the pants, though many times it doesn't happen until the next day... Been there done that many times...

And its something I personally don't do anymore... Hangovers are Hell...

Would God not want us to enjoy what he has given us?

For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving
1 Timothy 4:4

I would like to hear your arguments against alcohol... Or perhaps your good points on it, depending on which side of the argument you're on... Lets keep it civil and keep within the rules of the forum... Please respect each others opinion in this discussion...

Let the games begin!

By the way, let me point out one more thing for you Christians...

Jesus drank wine...

Oh Yes He Did!

edit on 30-9-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I think it was Ben Franklin that said "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I know for a fact without booze many of us would not have been born.
I love me booze.
Sometimes I wish there was a god called Bacchus.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I'll drink to that!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
God gave the grape, the wine to make, to please both great and small.
But little fools then drink too much; and big ones not at all.

I dont drink any more.. but I don't drink any more.. Ahha I tricked ya.

I certainly don't begrudge someone a drink however. Nor look down on someone who drinks too much.

I think it's a kind of magic, creating alcohol out of sweet thngs.

They originally did believe it was spirits that caused the creation of alcohol from fermenting bread. and only god knows why they decided to drink that foul looking slightly bubbling stink water.

"Hey jonas, this look really fetid. Have a taste."
"Sure thing ronan. I say, *hic*, I love you maaattee*

Maybe it was like snake handling. Drink this and if you live, truely god loves you.

Ahha. Oh what fools...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Well, water wasn't good enough for Jesus...he had to turn it into wine.

Jesus juice for everyone!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Alcohol in moderation is fine, IMO. In the excess it is venom and it's easy to cross over the line of moderation, for some more so than others.

I'm glad it exists though!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Repent..

It's the Devils brew you heathen!

Wait, what the hell am I saying?!?!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

SLAYER69
reply to post by Akragon

Repent..

It's the Devils brew you heathen!

Wait, what the hell am I saying?!?!

The "devil" is merely Gods Pawn my friend...

How better to resist said beasty then to have a drink with him and sort out our differences...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Btw just reread my last post and I think you all think I meant that many a person has been conceived while their parents were drunk....while still true I meant that back in the day water was not good to drink and so we brewed with it to make it safe.
Chimney sweeps in london were given two pints of small beer for breakfast (about2%) because the water wasn't safe.
(I know a lot aboot booze I ran pubs for 15 years

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
**sigh** I dont drink.
for a few of us.. when we drink, we keep bail bondsmen in business. HOWEVER.. I do see medicinal uses for alcoholic beverages. Im not a Xtian, but I do not think the bible specifically prohibits drinking fermented beverages.. just getting bald faced drunk, engaging in debauchery, and porking your brothers wife.

WHen we were in Greece, we tried a few of the traditional wines. The one I liked the best was a common wine from the time before Christ... an almost black wine.. super sweet and smelled very very flowery. I cant stand wine.. but this Id drink after dinner if I could remember the darned name of it!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Advantage
I do not think the bible specifically prohibits drinking fermented beverages.. just getting bald faced drunk, engaging in debauchery, and porking your brothers wife.

Then wheres the fun??!!

ETA: You know we look soooo attractive when we are kneeling before and praying to the porcelain god.

"Oh God, I'll never drink again"
edit on 30-9-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

SLAYER69

Advantage
I do not think the bible specifically prohibits drinking fermented beverages.. just getting bald faced drunk, engaging in debauchery, and porking your brothers wife.

Then wheres the fun??!!

Youre a bad bad bad man, Slayer... shame.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Pffffhahaha!!

Very true... Not sure if i would have put it quite that way, but point taken

This seems to be a one sided issue here....

Anyone against alcohol?

Wheres a muslim when you need them?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Akragon

Pffffhahaha!!

Very true... Not sure if i would have put it quite that way, but point taken

This seems to be a one sided issue here....

Anyone against alcohol?

Wheres a muslim when you need them?

They dont count.. they dont even eat bacon!

( Its a joke Muslims.. dont get all Jihaddy on me or anything... )

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I would want more than 72 virgins to make up for no booze and no bacon.
Hell is on earth (for Muslims denied the best things in the multiverse).

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Without the demon drink I'd have never become involved with my future wife and mother of my four children. I've imbibed tonight and feel happy and blessed. Check back with me later for the downside.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

boymonkey74
Btw just reread my last post and I think you all think I meant that many a person has been conceived while their parents were drunk....while still true I meant that back in the day water was not good to drink and so we brewed with it to make it safe.
Chimney sweeps in london were given two pints of small beer for breakfast (about2%) because the water wasn't safe.
(I know a lot aboot booze I ran pubs for 15 years

There is some lore that says the common serf working as what we would call a southern 'sharecropper' on an estate was given 1-3 gallons of beer per workman 'per day' if at hard labor (field or husbandry) and 2 gallons per family if in the servantude of the house; by the squireship they worked for? Probably cut down on theivery, or keep them all just drunk enough not to revolt. That whole naming of the hard alcohol as 'spirits' would to me mean if injested just enough could talk to the higher realms. Oh yes and as you said beer and wine were safe beverages, no Cholera (the fermentation process killed everything deadly), and as tea drinkers (favorite of theirs) the water was boiled. Funny how the Old English had their tea/or beer for breakfast and the French only had their wine. Who were the biggest drunks?
edit on 30-9-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I can give two stars to everyone lol
bug or am I super duper?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Alcohol was invented in monastaries after all...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join