It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you buy cars made in your home country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I have tried to buy cars that support American companies such as ford and Chevy, but I'm not so sure anymore. I bought a ford fusion about two years ago under this mindset but then I read the window sticker. 84% foreign parts and assembled in Canada....that's not really US made is it?
My mother bought a ford focus around the same time, hers was 80% US parts and built here.
I am located in indiana and I know of several Japanese car companies located here, so is buying one of them so bad? They have factories here and pay well so is there really a difference what kind of car i buy?
Anybody have a thought or opinion on this? I can't really decide which is better for my countries economy or if it makes any difference.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If you want my advice.. being someone who knows alot about cars and the car industry.. only buy german cars.. if you have less of a budget go for japenese..

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

I have two cars. A 1998 Mustang that from as far as I can tell was made 100% in the USA but as far as parts, no idea. My 2003 PT was made in Mexico. One has cost me zero the other $2500...can you figure out which one? :p

edit on 9/30/2013 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yeah, Mexico.

And I know a lot about cars. I wasn't asking which car is built better, just which car is better for my countries economy. If it makes a difference either way.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

My neighbor has a VW beetle that was made in Mexico. It's a piece o junk. Made in Germany would most likely have been better.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Misterlondon
If you want my advice.. being someone who knows alot about cars and the car industry.. only buy german cars.. if you have less of a budget go for japenese..

I had a E 320 and currently driving a CLK 320, both costed me a lot of money to service. For some reason after 90k, these cars fall apart, especially the electrical. Never again.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Misterlondon

I have to agree with you. I have always been impressed with German design, engineering, and craftsmanship. Whenever I've worked on anything German I find myself saying, "Damn, that was a good idea. Somebody was thinking." Pretty much the same with Mitsubishi, very well designed products, at least their electronics.

I'm still a Pontiac fan, though. Lots of fun to drive, but they can be a pain to work on. They remind me of the old saying, "The job of an engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the repairman."

Economy-wise, I don't think I make much difference. I would never buy a new car for myself.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I drive a kia made in Georgia. Yes it is American made!!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Buy the cheapest car you can afford with the best gas mileage and most dependability.
Big business doesn`t care about you if they did they would pay a living wage and stop raping you at the gas pump and at the repair shop.
if you can save several thousand dollars a year in gas and repairs by buying a dependable import with better mileage than a domestic then why not do it?
you don`t owe american companies any loyalty they stopped being loyal to america a long time ago.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I can't ....they don't make the BRICKLIN anymore .

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Misterlondon

This part of the woods there are heaps of Mercs rusting away like feck, their googly-eyed models can't see anymore and electrics can be dodgy. To be fair, their very newest models are getting back to a quality in general with many other producers, who had been doing it for a long time, and arguably better looks.
There is a lot of jingoism surrounding cars, where they are made. number one in the jingo stats is build quality, and there I would agree that German and Japanese are among the best, that does not always mean that a car will run well or not have problems, and how much that will cost to make right.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Can you even call a car American or Japanese made anymore? Many of the parts are imported no matter what brand you choose. As far as quality I think they all kind of fall short of the price we pay.
With all the lawsuits and such out there it takes a lot of money to just stay in business yet alone make anything.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
NOPE!

I go only by what the best prodcut. Country of orgin means ZERO.

If my country wants to sell cars then they need to up there standards to match the compitition!

I only drive AUDI made cars. In my opinion they are reliable, cheap to run and more enviromentaly freindly than a prius . And better yet my A3 fun to drive.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Quote for the Win.

Money = Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc .. German cars.

Low budget but decent = Honda, Toyota, Nissan.... Japanese they last a long time. My dad has 1989 Honda Accord, at like over 500,000km, still running.

HOWEVER!!!

Many Japanese car(and other companies, including German) countries don't make the car themselves anymore, sometimes it is send to Mexico etc.

Someone i know bought a new BMW and it had a problem on the first month, got a next one, some other problem... both were made in Mexico(not sure), she demanded one made in Germany, and got it.

I have no hope for American cars... even losing faith in Lincolns and other luxury ones.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

You can pick up a good secound hand Audi A3 for under £2000 in the UK. I did. I brought it at 100,000 miles and its done 175,000 over 4 years and the only think thats gone wrong is a few bulbs and a windscreen moter. The diesels will run for ever.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com... o4WE4tjT&sadet=1422724207657&sads=mXdQrX7dXXhMbYYVXdVhdKq8VTE

new topics

top topics

join