It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking Their Will: The Sick Biblical Literalism That Leads to Child Abuse and Even Death

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by WarminIndy

Now, therefore, Proclaims THIS DECLARATION OF THE RIGHTS OF THE CHILD to the end that he may have a happy childhood and enjoy for his own good and for the good of society the rights and freedoms herein set forth, and calls upon parents, upon men and women as individuals, and upon voluntary organizations, local authorities and national Governments to recognize these rights and strive for their observance by legislative and other measures progressively taken in accordance with the following principles:

See that yellow bit? It calls for the child to HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD. Being beaten by a Bible-thumping, cane-wielding, overpowering ADULT is not included in a Happy Childhood.

1:The child shall enjoy all the rights set forth in this Declaration. Every child, without any exception whatsoever, shall be entitled to these rights, without distinction or discrimination on account of race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status, whether of himself or of his family.
Same as EEO - the rights are there, WITHOUT REGARD to all those other things. Meaning, a child may be in a religious household (or poor, or brown/black/white, English-speaking or not, Dems or Repubs as parents, etc) and is STILL ENTITLED to a happy, safe childhood. The child's rights OVERRIDE the rights of the parents or other adults to wreck a childhood. PERIOD.

2: The child shall enjoy special protection, and shall be given opportunities and facilities, by law and by other means, to enable him to develop physically, mentally, morally, spiritually and socially in a healthy and normal manner and in conditions of freedom and dignity. In the enactment of laws for this purpose, the best interests of the child shall be the paramount consideration.

BY LAW, the best interests of the CHILD come FIRST - which does NOT include being beaten, shamed, psychologically and emotionally damaged - those are not Healthy and Normal things.

You found one word and took it out of context. (A familiar thing on this forum).

Read the SPIRIT of the law/rights - and it is dazzlingly obvious that being beaten, shamed, starved, etc. is CONTRARY to the Geneva Convention.

You are twisting it, just as windword pointed out.

edit on 10/2/13 by wildtimes because: formatting

You and I are in agreement when it comes to children being happy. I have no problem with that. But I am also concerned about this, if a child is in a happy home that does have religious parent, and that child grows up happy and productive, then should that child have been removed from his religious parents who DID raise their children well, even with religion?

Don't you agree that sometimes there are happy and productive children from Christian homes? Wouldn't it be more inhumane to remove them from good parents because those parents are religious?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

calls upon parents, upon men and women as individuals, and upon voluntary organizations, local authorities and national Governments to recognize these rights and strive for their observance by legislative and other measures progressively taken

If any -- ANY -- religious practice is harming children (which clearly some of them are), then not only laws are called for, but MEASURES PROGRESSIVELY TAKEN - this would include BANNING those RELIGIOUS PRACTICES that harm children.

That's all there is to it.
You might hate the word "progressive" - but progress is the only way humanity will survive.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Indy, you are the only one stating that children should or would be removed from happy, normal families that practice a religion!

None of us said, or implied, directly or indirectly that ALL RELIGION in a home is bad.

You're drifting the topic. Yes, we are in agreement that kids have the right to a happy, safe childhood.

It is YOU, not FF or ww, who keeps trying to "make us" say that!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

BS antichristian propaganda is this. You'd better explain the fact that children raised in christian homes are better adjusted,
www.livescience.com...

or please explain why homeschooled children (dominated by christian fundamentalists) outperform their peers,
blog.drwile.com...

Nevertheless please keep spewing your carefully inculcated biases. Having said this I never pay attention to American cult leaders. It's better to get your instruction directly from the Bible. Such instruction will include the concept of disciplining your child. In most cases that does not require any sort of physical pain.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

It's better to get your instruction directly from the Bible.

You sure about that?

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:

21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

edit on 2-10-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Ugh, I hate defending goat herder religions. It makes me feel dirty inside. But I say this in most of the "Islam Sucks" threads so I'll say it in this one too.

These people that beat and starved and froze their daughter are monsters, obviously. But it isn't Christianity or even Evangelicalism's fault. The majority of the people that follow these religions are decent. Programmed and Brainwashed, but decent. And can discern between right and wrong regardless of whatever "holy" man they are listening to is saying. If an Evangelical tent preacher told his audience to stab the person to their right for JESUS! LAWD! The very vast majority of them would not do it.

There's insanity and horror everywhere in all flavors. But yeah, if it were up to me I'd make organized religion, particularly the Abrahamic variety a thing of distant memory.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Malynn

If an Evangelical tent preacher told his audience to stab the person to their right for JESUS! LAWD! The very vast majority of them would not do it.

It's the few that would, that worries me!

edit on 2-10-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Wow horrible.

I wonder why this book is even allowed? I know free speech or freedom of press or whatever it's called but this is pure child abuse. Who would beat a 4mth old on the back of their legs? OMG.

People like this make my stomach turn. They also give good religious people a bad name. I have quite a very extremely religious friends and they are some of the nicest people you'd ever meet. They know I am not in any way religious nor do I believe in it but they NEVER try and shove it down my throat or tell me I'm wrong because I don't believe in what they do. They respect my views as I do theirs.

Why would anyone buy a book like this. Those who bought this book are sick and have obvious issues. It clearly tells you how to abuse your child! I feel bad for the kids whose parents bought this book, they will more than likely suffer a great deal and have problems their entire lives as a result.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Why would anyone buy a book like this. Those who bought this book are sick and have obvious issues.

Exactly, mblah!! (Nice to see you here!)....

I can't imagine why ANYONE who has a clue would buy this book! Only those who are mentally challenged???
Or, so damaged themselves that they can't think beyond 'abuse'?

I don't know.

Back in April, I went to a 2-day conference....at which Nate Phelps (Westboro Baptist Church survivor and DEFECTER) spoke. What happens in these households in unconscionable.....

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

WarminIndy
It's never about what anyone directly says, it's what they say indirectly.

That's a load of B.S. and you know it. You owe me an apology for your rant. I never said what you claimed. Just admit you were wrong. It's the CHRISTIAN thing to do.

you seek out Christian threads or threads against Christians just so you can go in and make kidney punches then you step back and say "I didn't say that!".

Again .. I AM A CHRISTIAN and we homeschooled for many years. And once again, you go on a loud rant saying that I do things that I simply do no. Thats yet one more apology you owe me. Man up. Apologize. It's the Christian thing to do.

It was you who bandied "they are guilty of indoctrination" and "they are guilty of pseudo-sexual imagery".

1 - I NEVER said 'guilty of indoctrination" ... that's another lie from you. 3rd apology you owe me.
2 - 'Guilty of pseudo-sexual imagery' - that is exactly what those people I discussed are guilty of.
They don't get a free pass just because they are Christian.

People who are Christian or Muslim or Hindu or Wiccan or Amish or whatever ... just because they have a certain set of beliefs doesn't mean that their brains are supposed to stop functioning and that they turn a blind eye to errors that come out of those beliefs or errors that come out of their churches/temples etc. That would be ignorant.
edit on 10/3/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Pity we can't vote you in for chief Christian on earth Flyers, you are the best informed, most logical and most intelligent Christian on ATS.
Pity other Christians refuse to use their minds and evolve with the times.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

boymonkey74
It is child abuse to force any child into a religion, It should be banned.
Let the children make up their own minds...Oh wait that would mean no more religion.

The best and most honest post in this thread.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Seems to be a trend here at ATS. The uber-religious come on ATS and tell lies about posters and what those posters said. And when called out on it, they refuse to acknowledge the lies or give apologies. This isn't the first time it's happened. I'm sure it won't be the last. So this behavior is the best that the uber-religious have to offer? Fits right in with the theme of this thread, doesn't it?? What kind of example is this for the children growing up? The uber-religious complain about secular America, but they don't take the log out of their own eye first before going after the speck in everyone elses.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Perfectly put.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Dredging this up again? What happened did your other post finally peter out?

Do we need to start a thread that asks again what was your family discipline like and was it based on Christian doctrine?

You really need to see someone about this bitterness that you have against your parents who made you go to church.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

Are Christians immune to being called out for child abuse and murder, because they use the Bible to justify their abusing proclivities? Why are you so offended when they are?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

Dredging this up again? What happened did your other post finally peter out?

Seriously?

Dude.

Do we need to start a thread that asks again what was your family discipline like and was it based on Christian doctrine?

I've explained several times what my 'family discipline' was like....
Not my fault you haven't read the posts.

You really need to see someone about this bitterness that you have against your parents who made you go to church.

Nice sarcasm. I have NO BITTERNESS against my parents.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Wildtimes ... your thread managed to bring out the very behavior in some 'christians' (and others) that the article talks about.

We have been subjected to abusive snotty language as well as LIES and failures of these supposedly good people to man up and admit wrong behavior.

Although they tried to destroy your premise, they actually have proven the point you made in the opening post.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Yep.

Such hateful defensiveness. It's truly appalling. I swear, I don't know why super religious people come on to a conspiracy site in the first place. Or why they expect THEIR religion to be immune from criticism, debunking, or honest disclosure.

Maybe some of them could explain what they're doing on a site designed to DENY IGNORANCE.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Well the Bible doesn't teach you to abuse your kids, you discipline them, not abuse them. The title of your post says "Biblical Literalism" which is wrong, it should say "Biblical Misinterpretation" or something like that would be more accurate.

You sound like another person encouraging hate against Christianity. There are people who claim to be Christians, but aren't acting like one. Just like the Crusades etc. Ah, do you think those popes at that time were following the teachings of Christ Jesus? I don't think so.. So don't blame God, the Bible, or real Christianity for a few who claim to be Christians but who don't act like one.
edit on 5-10-2013 by Kaboose because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join