It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this spider Please?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place but ive just found a spider ive never seen before in my shed. It might be a common UK spider i dont know to be honest all i know is ive never seen it before and despite what the pictures show it was purely jet black with a brown patch on the top of its tail that made me think it was a black widow? thats the easiest way to describe the spider a black widow with a brown patch instead of red.

img690.imageshack.us...

img202.imageshack.us...

img580.imageshack.us...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
It's a monster! Quick, kill it!
A brown spider perhaps?

edit on 30-9-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Uhmmm...the front legs remind me of the false black widow spider...

false black widow

Don't know really...

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I could see that...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Ok... That's just scary!!! I normally don't kill spiders... They eat all the irritating pest whether inside or out. However if it's something that could hurt me... Not so much life saving idea's coming from me.

The only thing I can come up w/ is a web site that helps to identify creepy spiders.

Spiders

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Could be this?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

rare orb weaver spider, I think its scientific name is Meta bourneti

Shuns any form of light.
edit on 30/9/2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
If you're in the UK. I think it may be the rare Orb weaver spider.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

amraks
Could be this?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

rare orb weaver spider

Shuns any form of light.

Beat me to it.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Oops I didn't realise you were in the UK

In that case

This false widow is thought to have first arrived in the UK from the Mediterranean in the late 1800s.
For many decades it remained in a small area within Devon, but about 15 years ago it began to spread and it can now be spotted all along the South Coast.

Tube web spider (S.Hine)
In spider terms, it has to be said that [the tube web] is an aggressive spider
Stuart Hine, NHM
Mr Hine said: "It has a nasty bite - and some people can have a bad reaction to it."
The tube web spider (Segestria florentina), another non-native biting spider, has also been on the move, spreading from the South Coast much further north.
It is a large spider, measuring between 1.5cm and 2.2cm (0.6-0.9in), with green iridescence on its jaws.
Mr Hine said: "In spider terms, it has to be said that this is an aggressive spider.
"If you approach it, it raises its legs and bares its fangs.
"Most spiders will back away - this one will jump at you and bite."

Linky to source

Cody

edit on 30/9/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30/9/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Ok thanks guys, its either the orb spider or the false widow. I found another in 1 of my rabbits hutches so i had to get rid of it not risking him being hurt.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

I am 100% sure, its a Orb Weaver(Meta bourneti) spider.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I agree that is does look like the orb weaver in that Daily Mail story. However given the rarity of the spider I think it may be unlikely.

How large was it?

Assuming the photo here is correct, then I think a false widow is a strong possibility.

Not deadly, but may give a nip.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
If in doubt don't pee it off. False widows can give you a nasty nip.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

AndyMayhew
I agree that is does look like the orb weaver in that Daily Mail story. However given the rarity of the spider I think it may be unlikely.

How large was it?

Assuming the photo here is correct, then I think a false widow is a strong possibility.

The second picture down is pretty much spot on what we saw, The 2 we saw were around half a inch long maybe a bit bigger

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

LvSLoLo
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place but ive just found a spider ive never seen before in my shed. It might be a common UK spider i dont know to be honest all i know is ive never seen it before and despite what the pictures show it was purely jet black with a brown patch on the top of its tail that made me think it was a black widow? thats the easiest way to describe the spider a black widow with a brown patch instead of red.

img690.imageshack.us...

img202.imageshack.us...

img580.imageshack.us...

That's Nigel, Nigel the Spider.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

AndyMayhew

How large was it?

It does looks the same, and so does the Orb Weaver, and they both have that white 'star' feature near the head that is clearer in the OP's picture. I see that link of yours mentions the chance of the Black widow immigrating too, I don't fancy that. As far as I know no one in the UK has died from a spider bite, not in the natural habitat anyway. Hope it stays that way.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

you really don't want to see a pregnant wolf spider (or huntsman?) then. the huge furry ones that magicly appear about now.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I vote for Orb weaver spider. I don't know what I was thinking but I followed a few links and did a search on spiders...not one of my brightest moves... and in my opinion, it looks most like the Orb. I hate the little suckers! I don't want to offend anyone, but seriously, if that thing appeared anywhere near me, it would be nothing more than a smear on either my boot or a 2 x 4...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It is a Brown Widow Spider. Look at the markings on the abdomen, the proximity of the eyes to each other, and the size of the pedipalps (forelegs).

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Mr.Happy Spider.
(Spiderus Happytimus)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join