It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A matter of faith

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Would I martyr myself in the name of Jesus? Would I take that leap of faith like Indiana Jones did on that invisible bridge? These are some of the questions that I asked myself during my stint with Christianity. Questions that I always found myself answering with a "no." We have a classic example of abandonment of faith in the bible when Peter denies that he knows Jesus while Jesus is being dragged to the cross. In the bible we are taught that the most important time to have faith, is during times of trial. But for many of us, this would be the precise moment where faith goes AWOL. Faith it seems, is subjunctive. When our safety is threatened, we jump ship. Yet still, when life is peachy, we say we have faith. And so I wonder about the legitimacy of faith and weather "having faith" is simply the act of asking God for faith, continuously. Thoughts anyone?

BTW, if you would actually martyr yourself or take that leap of faith...Props to you!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
It's VERY easy for someone to sit comfortably at a keyboard and say that they would be a martyr for a cause or religious beliefs. It is much harder to agree to martyrdom while facing being eaten alive by lions, or scourged alive, or burned alive ...

You never know until (if) the time arrives.

Words are cheap. Words on the internet are even cheaper.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

Having faith is everything. To have faith is quite literally be willing to give your life for the peace of mind that god has given you. You must overcome obstacles, hurdles, situations, people, feelings in order to maintain it... but it is the greatest gift of all. You know by the heartstrings that are plucked and the emotions and feelings that arise whether you are in the wrong or right... you must listen.

To truly have faith is to life each day like its your last. It is to be willing to die for truth at any moment. It is the ability to take a bullet without taking an eye for an eye.

This wonderful paradox all falls into place in time, and you WILL be faithful before the moment you leave this earth.

The moment a man finds faith is comparable to the moment a tree begins its first node. Do not compare yourself to others because you can have everything in the world if you only have faith. The moment I myself found faith was the most moving emotional experience i have ever witnessed. It is the single most memorable moment and for good reason, it is the foundation of my faith. Experience is what generates faith, not reading it in a book. The book is merely the map in which you are allowed to witness the patterns, it opens your eyes/hearts/souls to what is coming to you so you can capture that moment in your memory and allow it to radiate and influence every movement thereafter.
edit on 30-9-2013 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Tucket
Would I martyr myself in the name of Jesus? Would I take that leap of faith like Indiana Jones did on that invisible bridge? These are some of the questions that I asked myself during my stint with Christianity. Questions that I always found myself answering with a "no." We have a classic example of abandonment of faith in the bible when Peter denies that he knows Jesus while Jesus is being dragged to the cross. In the bible we are taught that the most important time to have faith, is during times of trial. But for many of us, this would be the precise moment where faith goes AWOL. Faith it seems, is subjunctive. When our safety is threatened, we jump ship. Yet still, when life is peachy, we say we have faith. And so I wonder about the legitimacy of faith and weather "having faith" is simply the act of asking God for faith, continuously. Thoughts anyone?

BTW, if you would actually martyr yourself or take that leap of faith...Props to you!

.. i think your idea of 'faith' this way is a bit Off honey

its not about 'some heroic martyrdome' nor about visible, physical trials

..but about ' slowly Losing your Own Capability to Arrange Your Life '

or rephrased... about " losing the capability to Gratify your own self"

by work you like... manners you like... pleasures you like... etc

that hurts.
and you need Faith - when again anóther of those above is being [!] removed from you.

hope that makes sense,

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
That is always something deep to think about. I hope that I will trust God in my moments of trial. I think that the true answer is found in the moments leading up to an event that tests faith.
I agree that talk can be cheap, but it is in discussing things that we can find inspiration and understanding.
I personally don't want to be imprisoned for my beliefs. I don't want to be harmed for my beliefs either. But we all know that it is going on right now in other countries. I say that I want to keep my head. But I have lived in enough regret and sorrow to know that my word and my bond are meaningless if I don't stand up for what is right. I would say that I am primed, but not ready.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Lone12

Martyrdom would be the example of ultimate faith, no? To be a Christian is to give your life up to Jesus figuratively, but not literally? I feel like real faith includes stuff like missionary work, or evangelism. Standing up in front of all my secular friends and family and shouting "I LOVE JESUS, or REPENT SINNERS" etc. *awkward*
I understand faith applied to our everyday normal life. But doesn't it seem like God wants more from us?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

If when You reference "Jesus" You mean the "Christ Consciousness" if a matter of martyrdom comes up, please ask for some I.D. If these kind of thoughts are creeping in, it is from a "non-Positive entity" that cannot have a "body"

EDIT: As far as the last bit: Learn, Teach and Have Fun, anything more than that You're overworking the program.
edit on 09/03/2013 by LewisStulePhD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

One of the reasons why the gospels are so special is that It shows the extent of "faith" In God shown by Jesus... even on to his torture and subsequently his death, he did not waver...

Knowing full well that claiming to be the "son of God" Is blasphemy in the Judaic faith he did not budge on his stance...

He was put in a position where most, if not all of us would crumble under scrutiny... and he did not give an inch...

He didn't just have faith... He knew for certain...

He did not fear death because he knew where he was headed...

I find his story amazing!

edit on 30-9-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think Mike Warnke said it best, a long time ago...

Paraphrased.

"I always hear Christians say they're ready to die for Jesus. Where are those who are ready to live for Jesus?"

It takes more faith to live it, than to die for it.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

Faith is perfected among difficulties.

edit on 033030p://111 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

That's like saying it's harder to talk the talk than it is to walk the walk. Death, martyrdom, is the ultimate demonstration. You can never take yourself back after that. You do that deed and it's game over for you.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

That's like saying it's harder to talk the talk than it is to walk the walk. Death, martyrdom, is the ultimate demonstration. You can never take yourself back after that. You do that deed and it's game over for you.

I used to walk that walk. There were a few times, death would have been the easy way out. It's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I used to walk that walk. There were a few times, death would have been the easy way out. It's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

I'm talking about those times when life gets a whole lot easier if you denounce your faith in Jesus as your lord and savior, and you still choose to be hung or stoned or quartered or burned at the stake. To die for faith is a lot harder than living for friends and family.
edit on 30-9-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I know what you're talking about. I'll just say I hope you never have to find out what either one is like.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I'd love to find out what living for friends and family is like. At least it would give me a reason.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Believing is the verb... faith is the noun.Without the act of believing there is no faith.In effect faith without works is dead just as a body without spirit is dead.

Yahoshua didn't have faith in God.There's not one instance in scriptures that he said or did to allude that he had faith to do anything.He knew.Knowing doesn't take faith then believing. There's also not one place in scripture God ever asks anyone to act in "their" faith.Faith is God given....By grace you are delivered (saved) THROUGH faith(believing) IT is NOT your own but given(a gift) by God.

Faith is the training wheels and belief the locomotion that leads to knowing.Focusing on faith as the objective leads to disbelief (loss of faith) because it's a temporary condition just as the feeling of love will fade because it is only the vehicle .Its sole purpose is to lead to be in the state of being of love.The state of being of love isn't an emotion just as faith is not knowing.

Yahoshua clearly stated "if you continue in my word[The living word of God..that does not mean the bible] then you will truly be my disciple and you will KNOW the truth and it will make you free".

Yahoshua said that's how truth works.It is known not believed.There is nothing about faith in that statement.He told this to some Jews that "believed" in him". Then in the same conversation said their father was not Abraham but the father of lies.

There is nothing wrong with the emotion of love until you don't continue in it(progress to the state of being of love) then love will break your heart and most likely others also.The same with belief there is nothing wrong with it until your eyes close and you say you see because you believe.At best it is faith which is more helpful than disbelief.However...it isn't knowing.Knowing sees because it is a state of being.That's where the truth is.

edit on 3-10-2013 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Rex282

Yahoshua didn't have faith in God.There's not one instance in scriptures that he said or did to allude that he had faith to do anything.He knew.Knowing doesn't take faith then believing. There's also not one place in scripture God ever asks anyone to act in "their" faith.Faith is God given....By grace you are delivered (saved) THROUGH faith(believing) IT is NOT your own but given(a gift) by God.

You are the not the first to tell me that God's power loses effectiveness if you don't take it on faith. A very peculiar arrangement, that.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Akragon
reply to post by Tucket

One of the reasons why the gospels are so special is that It shows the extent of "faith" In God shown by Jesus... even on to his torture and subsequently his death, he did not waver...

Knowing full well that claiming to be the "son of God" Is blasphemy in the Judaic faith he did not budge on his stance...

He was put in a position where most, if not all of us would crumble under scrutiny... and he did not give an inch...

He didn't just have faith... He knew for certain...

He did not fear death because he knew where he was headed...

I find his story amazing!

edit on 30-9-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

Of course it d be easier for Jesus to have faith, know for certain, and not waver if he knew that he was God.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Lone12

Tucket

.. i think your idea of 'faith' this way is a bit Off honey

..but about ' slowly Losing your Own Capability to Arrange Your Life '

or rephrased... about " losing the capability to Gratify your own self"

by work you like... manners you like... pleasures you like... etc

that hurts.
and you need Faith - when again anóther of those above is being [!] removed from you.

hope that makes sense,

Shouldn't it be for heroic martyrdom? God wants us to have an unbreakable faith as disciples. Spreading the good word throughout the world like Paul or Peter in spite of constant danger. Martyrdom would be the ultimate expression of faith. Isn't that something that a Christian would or should want to do for their God?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join