It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McAfee reveals details on anti-surveillance device. Will sell worldwide if blocked in the US.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

needlenight
reply to post by gladtobehere

NSA: We wont tell anyone about your dirty internet secrets and we will also pay you all of this money, if you let us build a backdoor into it.

Greedy person working on the project: Yes please!

McAfees new project: Dead

Either that or the U.S has pardoned all of McAfee's earlier crimes and they are now in this together, to make it even more easy to watch all of us.

I aint buying it..
edit on RAmerica/ChicagoV by needlenight because: (no reason given)

lol... I had a similar thought. Thing is, I really want to believe him. McAfee is an interesting character, for sure. I followed his out-of-country debacle, and some of the surrounding strangeness, quite closely. And he very much strikes me as one of those guys who plays by his own rules.

However, he is rich (and therefore, arguably, also at least somewhat powerful.) And I have a particularly hard time trusting the massively wealthy to have the little guy's interests at heart. Traditionally, historically speaking, usually those guys are just the opposite-- and would just about stab their own mothers to death, to advance themselves, their wealth, or their power.

But of course, this is a generalization. And like all generalizations, it is not always true. Maybe not even true in many cases....

So in summary, I guess I want to believe, but I'm having a hard time not being skeptical.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Oh please, it's McAfee for God's sake!

They'll sell it, then turn over the backdoor access to the government for a tax break of some kind once this spying stuff dies down.

Buying it would be a waste of money.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

greencmp

I don't understand why it is so difficult to make everyone understand that all of the traffic on the internet is copied and kept. The Library of Congress' Archive.org does it every hour and indexes it for the 'way back machine', why would anyone think that this wasn't being done by the NSA?

There is no encryption that is unbreakable through backdoors or brute force, if necessary. If you do use real encryption, you just attract attention, very negative attention. We lost the battle for privacy long ago when we all had our high-bit PGP key pairs and no ever used them (arrrggghhhh!)

We tried to warn everybody, we had our hypothetical thought experiments regarding the use of envelopes for letters (why not send a postcard if you aren't hiding anything? It's cheaper, right?). Nobody listened and now it is a dead, dead issue.

doh

Archive.org visits websites every so often and saves a snapshot. In many cases they only save the text, but not pictures. Most website pages only stay up for a month before they are revamped, edited, restyled.

It's true about encryption. It might take a single PC a billion years to crack a password, but many so-called "securely encrypted" documents simple rehashed the password at the end of the document using a simple letter substitution cipher. Even with something like PGP, they'll have a supercomputer built from hundreds of thousands of custom ASIC's that will do it in less than 15 minutes.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

LOL this is funny ... I mean McAfee is no stranger of the surveillance activities of the gov...
Any antivirus is running on a system with administrative rights. The antivirus MUST have an internet connection in order to GET the updates and to SEND data about suspicious filesit may find on the system it protects. All the communication is encrypted.

Basically, as a government, you dont need Microsoft to backdoor the Operating System, you only need to have a few Antivirus Softwares made very popular and there you go!

More than this, as a government you can take over any antivirus by spoofing the address of the update server, provided you know and you can replicate the encryption the antivirus uses, and send any application you want to the target system tricking the antivirus that is an update or addon or whatever.

So i wouldnt trust McAfee with my privacy and no other main stream antivirus company.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by darkbake

No, it's not a good situation, is it? If I had some things to do over, I'll be honest here.. I would not be as outspoken as I am at this stage in life. I had no idea when I started, that the day would come ...and so quickly too...where things said, even as misunderstanding, could bring a raid squad to your door with guns up and ready to shoot.

Never..ever..did I think I'd see the day come in America. These are times like none of us have seen. At least here, eh?

I'm the opposite. Every day I think to myself that I wish I were a little less stupid back in 2001. If I was, and I and others were more outspoken maybe we wouldn't have the current situation.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

qwerty12345

What I wonder if this will also protect from those cameras on street corners, cop car surveillance, FEMA vans, DEA, ATF, CIA, Drones, Satellites? Will it take surveillance measures, maybe at the press of a button, if perhaps I encounter the police? I'm asking for too much huh? If this truly does all that I'll be impressed. If it's just hiding your android and apple products, then what about windows? For less than a 100$ I can tell you how to hide yourself. I'll even tell you for free. All you have to do is avoid all these products.

Yup, Nail has been hit on the head. Why pay first to have an operating system that gets "viruses" in the first place and make people like him rich and now the same concept of "spying" by buying another product! Whats next disease from the skies and buying body suits and clean air filters?? What a capitalist mindset! Anyway I think there is so much you can take before pulling the plug on it all is cheaper than patching up the sore bits.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It'd be interesting if he could somehow pull it off or at least get the ball rolling.

Anyhow he's not the first one to come up with the concept of ad-hoc mesh-network devices, and generally they have a lot of technical hurdles to overcome. They still have their problems. In a population-dense area with a lot of users that can act as nodes to connect to the greater internet they seem like a great idea, but in a rural setting they would still be kinda crap as they're bottlenecked just like anything else that would want to connect to a bigger network.

Sooner or later it might come. Some companies wouldn't like it, but most people would. We'll just have to wait and see.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
What does this do that Orbot doesn't?

play.google.com...

Looks like they broke it with the lastest update but I've been using it on my android for ages and I run Tor on my desktop.

Not that TOR is all that safe really.....

I guess if you have a bunch of devices at home that all connect, it's easier to have the one piece of hardware doing the job rather than a TOR iteration running on various devices....
edit on 1-10-2013 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

aaron2209
What does this do that Orbot doesn't?

Well, first off, it's local, portable and it does not connect to the Internet. Tor/Orbot is all about obscuring your location by onion'd IP addresses and access. Think of D-Central as a local "cloud" centered around the device, which the NSA etc. has no access to, for data on the D-Central network never touches the Internet. So, by that aspect alone, it's completely different than TOR or Orbot, tho they may share some of the same concepts - D-Central is meant to be localized around the user/device.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jazy510

Ahhhh thanks for the quick explanation.

I was a bit hasty in posting before I had the time to look into it more myself.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

greencmp

I don't understand why it is so difficult to make everyone understand that all of the traffic on the internet is copied and kept. The Library of Congress' Archive.org does it every hour and indexes it for the 'way back machine', why would anyone think that this wasn't being done by the NSA?

There is no encryption that is unbreakable through backdoors or brute force, if necessary. If you do use real encryption, you just attract attention, very negative attention. We lost the battle for privacy long ago when we all had our high-bit PGP key pairs and no ever used them (arrrggghhhh!)

We tried to warn everybody, we had our hypothetical thought experiments regarding the use of envelopes for letters (why not send a postcard if you aren't hiding anything? It's cheaper, right?). Nobody listened and now it is a dead, dead issue.

doh

Its not true most of the web in un monitored its called deep web. Ip addresses become meaningless. And there is far more information on deep web then google ever sees. Government uses companies like google and of course internet suppliers ip addresses to track you. In deep web these methods are useless. But you give up the easy to use features of the web and it takes time to find things.Ever wonder how all these Chinese circumvent the Chinese government? well internet searches actually only see about .03 percent of the web because it relies on links.And of course links can be traced because every time there is a hand off it tells you from where. Spies have been using deep web since the web started makes tracking impossible.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 10/1/13 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jazy510

The range he mentions in the article is a very big clue. what you do is start interlinking local ip address in to one big communication area think hundreds of ip address in a couple city blocks for example. all communicating with each other on there own protocol. True cloud services because all access to the web is controlled and sites are randomly chosen for access.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I am skeptical of this. Everyone that connects to the net goes through some provider. That point of entry to the internet cloud is monitored and controlled. They know who connects and where they connect from, as well collect hardware data that can be tracked. The only way to get around this is to create a new internet provider with a large backbone that hasn't been tapped by the Gov. Good luck with that as there is laws in place that you would be harboring criminal activity if a user was doing nefarious things under a network that is in your control. They would be correct in saying that. There really is no way unless you control the connection from beginning to end. However, there is encryption protecting the data stream from beginning to end. VPN does mask your IP, but that is limited to the server that provides the VPN access. Snowden was using this sort of way to communicate using a middleman connection VPN or encrypted e-mail. What happen to the people who offered that connection? They was forced to shut down. Becoming truly anonymous means breaking laws in some way or another.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
O'course, there's nothing to say that he's not in the employ of the NSA, and is pushing a device to make it way easier for them to track and record you. How would you know?

If I was selling a device and said it would do this, and it *appeared* to do it, you'd probably be all happy about it. And I'd be in Belize with the old lady and the kids, sipping on a nice rum and coke, and watching the fellas polish my yacht while I decided to have lobster or steak that night for dinner. And on my desk would be yet another one of those attaboys "You have the thanks of a grateful nation for a project you began in October of 2013"

Yep, I LOVE this idea. I could build you guys one right now. Add in a few extra functions that sounded good and away we go. Wear it on your belt, I swear it'll decentralize and obfuscate any call you make, and for a bonus, it'll store any photos or video you make of cops - if the cops get your phone the belt clip will transfer copies at high speed to everyone in the vicinity and then upload them to my secure server later. It's the answer to fascism! I swear! And just $99.95. What a deal!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Why is everyone talking about him dying or going to jail?

THIS TAKES BALLS! HE IS DOING IT FOR US, BECAUSE HE IS CLEARLY AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT CONTROLLING PEOPLES PRIVATE INFORMATION!

HAVE THSI MAN'S BACK! E OBVIOUSLY HAS YOURS!

Instead of talking about him dying, getting killed, going to prison, or the government backdooring his project... LETS MAKE SURE NONE OF THAT HAPPENS, AND WE ALL GET THIS FREEDOM DEVICE!

Geesh.. Some of you people sound like the sheople..

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by covertpanther

Or he'd like you to think he has yours. Wow were YOU easy to convince. Sweet. I have a handy "NSA repeller" you can attach to your home network. It's only $49.95. Pay no attention to the fact it's constantly scanning the disk drives on your systems.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   

needlenight

NSA: We wont tell anyone about your dirty internet secrets and we will also pay you all of this money, if you let us build a backdoor into it.

Greedy person working on the project: Yes please!

McAfees new project: Dead

Either that or the U.S has pardoned all of McAfee's earlier crimes and they are now in this together, to make it even more easy to watch all of us.

I aint buying it..
edit on RAmerica/ChicagoV by needlenight because: (no reason given)

Well said, this is my take on it as well, he gets pardoned if he builds a device that we will all buy because we are fed up with being spied on, but it actually make it easier for our governments to see what we are doing.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Hi guys i just descovered something that works on all comptures, phones nomatter the make or OS, it just so simple i dont know why i did not think of it before, it stops anyone from tracking you . Every phone and compture is fitted with it, the OFF SWITCH. Try it and be surprised, I send this wonderful information to you all free of charge

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by imod02

Like it

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

covertpanther
Why is everyone talking about him dying or going to jail?

THIS TAKES BALLS! HE IS DOING IT FOR US, BECAUSE HE IS CLEARLY AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT CONTROLLING PEOPLES PRIVATE INFORMATION!

HAVE THIS MAN'S BACK! E OBVIOUSLY HAS YOURS!

Bragging about vaporware is a sure sign that this man is just spewing bs. If he could do it, it would be done already.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join