It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McAfee reveals details on anti-surveillance device. Will sell worldwide if blocked in the US.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
John McAfee reveals details on gadget to thwart NSA.

Dubbed "Decentral," the as-yet-unbuilt device will cost less than $100...

"There will be no way (for the government) to tell who you are or where you are," he said in an onstage interview with moderator Dan Holden at the inaugural C2SV Technology Conference + Music Festival.

And if the U.S. government bans its sale, "I'll sell it in England, Japan, the Third World. This is coming and cannot be stopped."

Although it hasnt been invented, the design is in place and would be compatible with both Android and iPhones.

Guess we'll have to wait and see if it actually works and how much it would cost.

This guy's got enough money to make it happen.

As far as consumers' appetite for such a gizmo, he said, "I cannot imagine one college student in the world who will not stand in line to get one."

Damn right. I'll take two please.

edit on 30-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
What is McAfee's status for being legal anywhere right now? I mean, is he in a position to do this? I followed his exploits in Belize...until he ran as a fugitive on a murder case regarding a neighbor of his (American Ex-Pat) who was shot and killed. He ran to Guatemala, faked a heart attack to avoid deportation back to Belize and wound up on a plane for the U.S. last December. I really haven't paid much attention since.

He's got all his legal issues behind him or he's promising this new invention from a position of still running and hiding? Just curious, as this is the last name I'd ever have guessed would directly provoke the U.S. Government to kill him. Odd....how people seem to invite these things in advance, and before whatever will get them killed is in the open and cannot be stopped?

* Nvm.. I see in the article he claims he's innocent (prisons are full of innocent men too) and it was all about a bribe he wouldn't pay. Hmm... Oh well.. Lots of luck to the guy and I'll be happy to get his product, if it becomes a real thing some day and if it works before the NSA finds a way to defeat it. It's worth a shot!

(Of course..he won't be vacationing in Belize or Guatemala any time soon...or anywhere in South America, I'll bet)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

What I wonder if this will also protect from those cameras on street corners, cop car surveillance, FEMA vans, DEA, ATF, CIA, Drones, Satellites? Will it take surveillance measures, maybe at the press of a button, if perhaps I encounter the police? I'm asking for too much huh? If this truly does all that I'll be impressed. If it's just hiding your android and apple products, then what about windows? For less than a 100$ I can tell you how to hide yourself. I'll even tell you for free. All you have to do is avoid all these products.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
McAfee - i hate his AV and i dont like him - but boy has he got a set of balls. And good luck to him on this alone.

I dont see how this device would possibly work, but if it does. then happy days.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Funny, he picked like the only niche in the market no one is really making advances in publicly. So many people want to be able to survey those around them to make sure they feel safer, but no one really took the time to think what if you don't wanna be followed by "the man" like that... Just for originality I give this guy a thumbs up.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I see, so this is similar to that other thread about someone posting on Facebook and getting visited by the F.B.I. in some ways, in that by saying this McAfee is inviting a "visit" by federal agents.

This isn't a good situation in the U.S. right now.
edit on 30-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

NSA: We wont tell anyone about your dirty internet secrets and we will also pay you all of this money, if you let us build a backdoor into it.

Greedy person working on the project: Yes please!

McAfees new project: Dead

Either that or the U.S has pardoned all of McAfee's earlier crimes and they are now in this together, to make it even more easy to watch all of us.

I aint buying it..
edit on RAmerica/ChicagoV by needlenight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

No, it's not a good situation, is it? If I had some things to do over, I'll be honest here.. I would not be as outspoken as I am at this stage in life. I had no idea when I started, that the day would come ...and so quickly too...where things said, even as misunderstanding, could bring a raid squad to your door with guns up and ready to shoot.

Never..ever..did I think I'd see the day come in America. These are times like none of us have seen. At least here, eh?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I don't understand why it is so difficult to make everyone understand that all of the traffic on the internet is copied and kept. The Library of Congress' Archive.org does it every hour and indexes it for the 'way back machine', why would anyone think that this wasn't being done by the NSA?

There is no encryption that is unbreakable through backdoors or brute force, if necessary. If you do use real encryption, you just attract attention, very negative attention. We lost the battle for privacy long ago when we all had our high-bit PGP key pairs and no ever used them (arrrggghhhh!)

We tried to warn everybody, we had our hypothetical thought experiments regarding the use of envelopes for letters (why not send a postcard if you aren't hiding anything? It's cheaper, right?). Nobody listened and now it is a dead, dead issue.

doh

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Biigs
McAfee - i hate his AV and i dont like him - but boy has he got a set of balls. And good luck to him on this alone.

Ha... We can see how long he lasts now that he's made that remark...
It's not like it's too much to ask for, encryption actually encrypting safely -

Now I am about to make a recommendation. Either use old-fashioned drop-off points, personal couriers with pen and paper correspondence, or password protect some files and send them through the post office.

See what this country is making me say? That above paragraph should never even come close to being in context.
edit on 30-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Obviously John didnt have the device on him when he was running from the police in some latin American country where he eventually got picked up as the result of a somewhat careless investigative journalist.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Encryption Ensmyption. Bahhh.... The NSA and others are so fixated on High Tech to the point of nose bleeds from the altitude that they probably don't even have a 1200 baud modem in their vast high tech building. Not a one!

I don't recall..but do you date back to having used the old 12/2400 baud dial-up modems? Those were so damned picky and finicky, you only had to kinda fart in the general direction of the phone jack and it was back to dialing the connection again ..and again..and, well, maybe this time it'll handshake! Err... Nope.. try again.

Point being..Who needs encryption they spend billions to crack as quick as it appears ...when the oldest tech is probably still literally too primitive to effective tap and track without interfering with the signal itself? Never forget the old ways ....because they DO.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This guy...will likely end up in jail for the alleged crime in Belize, in jail for something else that is shockingly worse in order to further discredit him..or dead.

I hope he at least launches this project first or sells it to someone who is willing to dare to get it to the market.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Reading the article comments, some have speculated on what this device is:

Julian Cook • 8 hours ago
This device already exists: It's called a Plug and Play Anonymity Router
and you can get it for under $100.00 already.
paparouter.com..., McAfee hasn't had an original thought in decades.

jero (._.) black Julian Cook • 7 hours ago
or TOR which has been around for ages as well.

Julian Cook jero (._.) black • 7 hours ago −
That what the PapaRouter is. Dedicated TOR running on a Raspberry Pi and turning the Pi into a dedicated router to connect multiple devices.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The NSA is here for national security. At all costs.
I feel this new device is a tactic by the NSA to give the populous a new sense of personal privacy.

There will be backdoor access. There will be encyption keys kept secret. If there is not, the agencies are not doing their job.

They want people to think they have privacy in order for their proccess to work.

The only true privacy with electronics is to not use electronics.

The best privacy is to not communicate at all.

Until they can read our thoughts and intentions from a distance, the two previous lines should be the only fail-safe truely private way of going about things.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

ManOfHart

The NSA is here for national security. At all costs.

Suspected terrorists have their emails and messages and history checked. Why should law abiding citizens have their perverted sexy emails to their married partner/by/gf/affair read?

Suspect means suspected of something.

"innocent till proven guilty, forever suspected of being a threat" - sounds like the death of patriotism. (unless you have a badge)

edit on 30-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I remain highly skeptical. Until this is on the market and inspected inside and out including any source code/ program software that is. Just because the claim is made that it will be safe means nothing. We should all know by now the Government has no issue deceiving its people. This could very well be McAfee's way to get out of his legal troubles. Law agencies often make deals for what they view as more important. So whats more important, lock up McAfee or have an easy way lure the masses into giving up even more info willingly. Im sure anyone that uses one will be more willing to discuss/post incriminating info under the guise that its safe. And the majority of users will be the ones that have something to hide in the first place. So its almost genius to make such a deal with him for this reason.
Smells fishy to me

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

ManOfHart

The best privacy is to not communicate at all.

The best privacy protection measure would be to hold every treasonous bastard in government accountable for every violation of the constitution PERIOD.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

TOR has been raided by LEA more than once. Many .onion links have been shut down and arrests have been made.
www.scmagazine.com... o-arrest/article/311880/
We can argue that the users did not configure TOR properly but we can not know for sure with out the arrested partys testimony.
There is never a guarantee of safety when using any device. The way i see it, it may be secure for awhile but its only a matter of time before its cracked.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

This guy's got enough money to make it happen.

No he doesn't. He lost his fortune on bad real estate investment deals and a number of other things. Like ____ and hookers.

BUT...

He does still have some clout with the investor crowd, so it's possible for him to raise capital. That is if he doesn't get arrested for the dead guy in his flower bed.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join