It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morning ramble on belief.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
As humans, we have potential to understand ourselves and our environment. When you think of something, it becomes a part of you. Your understandings are based on how you interpret information, and your interpretation is based on what you understand. A cycle.
A belief system is based on understanding, whether these understandings are fully developed or not. A healthy mind creates questions, and seeks answers- an inner dialog. As the answers are developed, an understanding takes place.
Perhaps a belief then, is a set of understandings that are grouped together and then set aside for future or continuous reflection and contemplation. This is how I believe, the community of mature religious thinkers use their minds. Systematically- I don't put myself into this group of thinkers.
I assume that thoughtful atheists operate in this same way. Not all atheists share the same qualities that make up the "ideal" secular intellectual. There are some downright nasty and irrational atheists out in the world publicly defending their stance on faith, and this does no justice to those who study the subject as if life depended on it.
But we should not hold all thought processes as equal for an entire group of people. Atheism is a rejection of the spiritual. And the reasons that humans have for this rejection are numerous. Not all people in a group are equal in quality or intention. But I would add that we are all humans, and that is good for something.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by apydomis

The less we acknowledge our own potential to do what is needed, the less we will do what is needed. That's something I stand by very firmly. Also, humans first. Always. Forget whatever higher powers you may think have your best interests at heart. Focus on people who are affecting your life in very observable and tangible ways. They deserve your attention and consideration. They are your kin. Let us work together.

Yes, we are humans. So let humanity join forces with humanity and seize our potential.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by apydomis

Atheism is a rejection of the spiritual.

This is an untrue statement. Being an atheist does not automatically preclude one from being "spiritual". Atheists simply lack a belief in a god, or gods. Period. All other beliefs depend on the individual atheist.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I don't really believe in belief anymore. In 32 years of my life, I have never experienced this feeling of belief. Either I know something is real through experience, or I don't. Doesn't make sense to say that I don't believe in belief, but I can't think of any other way to explain it in words lol.
edit on Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:45:18 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

You mean faith, I think.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Faith is another word for belief though, no? Feeling something is real without any evidence of it. I didn't believe in ghosts, until I saw one with my own eyes. Since I saw one, it's not really a belief though, I know they exist. Does that make more sense? I can't think of a single thing that I just feel is real, that I have never seen compelling evidence for it's existence.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I entirely concur with this statement haha.

And I too can easily agree (though it makes for a silly sentence) that I do not believe in belief, nor have I personally partaken much in the practice (at least on the scale of subscribing to religions or parties.. habits and compulsions are another thing altogether haha)

but the true question is, once we glimpse the sight of everything as it truly is, can we maintain that vision or is it something that can only be used strategically..?

new topics

top topics

join